> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,128
Threads: 63,735
Welcome to our newest member, mortgageautomation
Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you go with the SX4, give Minute Man Arms a call - their prices usually beat all places around by $100+.
Kwalk3 likes this.
CPAjeff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMeat View Post
I would look at the sx4 or sx3. Sx4 would be my pick out of the 2.

Weatherby makes a good gun, but I would still pick the Winchester first.

I would definitely get a 12 as your primary gun first. Then if you wanted to get a 20 as a secondary fun gun for decoying ducks and rabbits, that wouldn’t be a bad thing to have 2 guns to choose from.

But a sx4 12 gauge would be what I would go buy today for a gun of many uses
That's some good thinking there. The only thing better than one gun is two! I'm sure I'll be purchasing a 20 for my boy within the next few years even if I don't get one now. Thanks for the input.
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
SX3

As may be obvious by my handle I am a big fan of the Super X auto's. Fast shooting and extremely reliable. Switched over from SX3 to an SX4 a couple years ago. Just this past weekend my wife had the opportunity to shoot a youth model SX4 in 12 gauge. Until then she had never shot anything bigger than a 20 gauge. That little 12 shot lighter than her 20 gauge over&under. You can't go wrong with and SX4. Take a look at Gould Brothers on youtube.
Kwalk3 likes this.
SX3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2020, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have the SX3 12 gauge, SXP 12 gauge, Winchester 1300 12 gauge and a bunch of other 12 gauges. Then, I have the Weatherby SA-08 20 gauge. Guess which one I grab most often? I just love the Weatherby. Don't think for a minute that a 20 gauge is not a capable shotgun. Many pheasants, ducks and geese have been victims to the mighty 20. You can spend more $$$ for a different brand and you will achieve the same results. I have shot the Weatherby for 3 full hunting seasons and not had any issues with loading or cycling. That's my experience with it.
Kwalk3 likes this.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

I own a Weatherby SA-08 in 20 guage, 28" barrel. I love it. The length of pull is a little shorter than many other guns, which I like. I've also shot an SX3 in 12 guage. It was a dang nice gun, too. However, it is quite a bit heavier, so not as great an upland gun if you're doing a lot of hiking.

The Tristar Viper is basically the same gun as the SA08, without the interchanging gas valve system. I don't mind the interchangeable gas valves, but it does require some forethought before you pick your load and go out hunting.

Another gun I really considered was a Franchi Affinity. I thought it swung and pointed really well in the store, but it was a lot more expensive than the Weatherby.
Kwalk3 likes this.
AF CYN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator

My $0.02 wouldn’t be on model but regarding a comment made on rust.

I’d suggest getting a waterfowl gun that’s dipped in camo or black Teflon type coating. You could also have Black Ice cost your metal in Teflon if desired since you want wood. That way you’re not going to get surface rust as easily. Granted 12 year old you took care of things differently than 34 year old you, but it’s piece of mind nonetheless.

I love shotguns and would like one in every gauge if I could afford it. But if you’re just gonna have one, then I’d prefer a 12 gauge. Mainly because you’ll find ammo anywhere and everywhere. And for a survival gun, a 12 gauge would be my first pick over anything due to the variance in shell options to choose from (light bird shot, heavier pheasant loads, buck shot, 3.5” waterfowl loads). Your boy will handle a light 12gauge load every bit as well as a 20 gauge in my observation.
Airborne and Kwalk3 like this.

"87% of all internet quotes are made up" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bax*; 04-25-2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
Bax* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2020, 05:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

For the money and shoots well, I prefer the Stoeger M3000/3500 for a great 12ga and the M3020, 20ga!! I shoot upland and waterfowl !!
Kwalk3 likes this.
Califbowmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
SX3

Thanks to his wonderful sweet wife my son picked up this beauty last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200430_103916.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	141347  
Kwalk3 and CPAjeff like this.
SX3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX3 View Post
Thanks to his wonderful sweet wife my son picked up this beauty last night.
That might be the best looking "camo" gun I've seen. Love the Flat Dark Earth coloration. I may have to change my mind from getting a solid black gun.....
Kwalk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Keep shooting your 870 but go have it coated by black ice in Spanish Fork, it will look new again. Run ya about $200.

Couple other points, there are a lot of assumptions that shotguns shoot to their point of aim...nope, only about half do, American rifleman magazine does best shotgun analysis and I have been getting that magazine for 20 years and it proves it with all the shotguns they test.

Have you patterned your 870? Have you done any shooting to fit tests? I don’t mean shoot a cardboard box but actual testing? Look man, everybody likes new guns but nobody tests and evaluates shotguns like they should. I do and what you currently have is good but the rust issue with 870’s is a problem that can be fixed for a quarter of the cost of another gun. You need to truly evaluate your 870 before you go spending money. I can teach ya if you want, shoot me a pm. I just fixed up an old 870, I have a barrel bender and everything. Or go roll the dice and buy a new shotgun, it may fit ya 50/50 chance. Good luck
Bax* and Kwalk3 like this.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in