> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,807
Threads: 63,311
Welcome to our newest member, MeganLawson
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Move the wood pile away from the wall.
I had a beagle mix that would literally climb trees and chain link fences and he jumped off a 10 ft woodpile once to get out and killed himself. Some dogs will do anything to escape.
7MM RELOADED is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Once a dog gets out of a kennel or a yard they never stop looking for a way out...ounce of prevention is a worth a pound of cure...your are screwed now!
Slockem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
PBH

Pack -- yes, border collie.

She's great. i watched her yesterday from the window -- the squirrel obstacle course immediately came to mind.

(I'm living at my parents right now while our home is being built. This is a new yard to Sally. We should only be here for a couple more months. Then Sally will have all the freedom she ever wanted - and probably won't leave the porch!)

Yesterday she ended up in the neighbor's back yard behind us. Before we could go retrieve her, she just jumped the wall coming back.

The wood pile is actually against a compost bin made from cinder blocks. This bin is about 3' away from the perimeter cinder block wall. Sally climbs the wood pile to the top of the compost bin, then walks then jumps the span to the perimeter wall. She then proceeds to walk the permiter, steping over / under tree branches until she gets wherever she is trying to get to.

I watched her do this, and made sure to give her a scolding. She knows she shouldn't be up on the wall now. As added insurance I placed some 5 gallon buckets (with water) on top of the compost bin. So now the question becomes: does she accept the challenge?

This should be fun. I need to get the camera moved so I can get more video of the real action.
AF CYN and Vanilla like this.

Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Dogs are interesting to watch when they are by themselves.

Years ago a friend borrowed my video camera and set it up in his apartment to see what his two Britney spaniels were doing during the day.

We watched it that night. The dogs were all over everything that they weren't suppose to be. Up on counters along with running around in the apartment. They both opened the cubbard where the trash was at and looked in and then politely closed the door with their noses. Without the video evidence you would of never had the idea of what they had been into that day.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
Dogs are interesting to watch when they are by themselves.

Years ago a friend borrowed my video camera and set it up in his apartment to see what his two Britney spaniels were doing during the day.

We watched it that night. The dogs were all over everything that they weren't suppose to be. Up on counters along with running around in the apartment. They both opened the cubbard where the trash was at and looked in and then politely closed the door with their noses. Without the video evidence you would of never had the idea of what they had been into that day.
I've seen that video as well. It's called "Secret Life of Pets" I'm pretty sure there was a sequel too.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Cool obstacle course! I like Gus I think those squirrels might be related to Rocky the Squirrel!

Last edited by pollo70; 07-15-2020 at 12:13 PM.
pollo70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

PBH, we need video of this! Get er done.
johnnycake likes this.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2020, 06:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

After reading the first post, I knew you were talking about a border collie. They are smart, and at least from my own experience, won't leave your property. They are velcro dogs, and don't stray far. We hard a border/aussie mix, and somehow he got outside, and I went to the front door, and there he was sitting there like, "Hey, you gonna let me in or what?!" I have no idea how long he was there, but it was awhile.

Picture or video of the escape route in question would help. Offhand to boil things back down to the basics, there's only two ways to go about it:
a.) Somehow make it physically impossible for her. (easy way)

b.) Dissuasion. (hard way)

The good news is that border collies are easily trainable, and learn things quickly... .though that can be a double edged sword.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
PBH

So far, so good -- I placed some buckets on the compost bin wall to prevent the dog access. She hasn't escaped again.....yet.

The biggest thing is just keeping her busy. It's those days that she doesn't get a walk that she starts to get in trouble.

Vanilla -- I'm affraid a video isn't going to happen. I should have pulled out my phone when I watched her do it last week -- instead I went out and scolded her. The last thing I want to do is encourage her to do it again....which she hasn't.
AF CYN and Vanilla like this.

Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in