> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,669
Threads: 63,200
Welcome to our newest member, Utecabron
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Interesting question, Caddis8. My guess is similar to others--the dog comes as a package deal and they aren't selecting it strictly for the strength of its nose. However, I know a breeder in UT who occasionally places his Wirehaired pointing griffons as Search and Rescue dogs, including avalanche work.
AF CYN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddis8 View Post
What about Beagles? They're notoriously tough to train. But that is a very good thought I hadn't considered.
Well...

I'd have to say you gotta have a few beagles cuz they are sooo cute.
Steve G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
Well...

Neighbor used to have a beagle. It stopped being cute when it howled and barked whenever we were out in the yard, at my house.

But our friends had a beagle that was a rescue dog. It was a little grumpy, but didn't make much noise.

Had friends with a beagle and that dog didn't last 2 years with them before they gave it away. Barked, bawled, and dug through the fence. They replaced with a bassett hound mix. HATED that dog. It was food aggressive, territorial, wouldn't listen, and was a generally terrible dog. I put a lot of that on the owner of the dog, however.

Good dogs are made, not bred. A dog with great breeding is still subject to the owner and can be turned to a moron quickly.
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
Well...

i lived next to two beagles. that won't ever happen again.
ZEKESMAN and kodoz like this.
APD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

I’ve had English Pointers, Springers and Labs!! Currently utilizing a pointing lab!! Great nose!! I did see Springers being used in the UK for contraband and drugs! To each their own!!
Califbowmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2020, 08:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

There's a book I read years ago before I got my first Belgian sheepdog for SAR called "The intelligence of dogs." Definitely outdated now, but it's a very practical book that was a good read and influenced my thinking on training, breed characteristics, and canines' capabilities.
kodoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2020, 10:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

My lab has a terrible nose but amazing ears. She can hear our refrigerator open while she is outside during a thunderstorm on the 4th of July with a marching band playing down the street.
johnnycake likes this.

"87% of all internet quotes are made up" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bax* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax* View Post
My lab has a terrible nose but amazing ears. She can hear our refrigerator open while she is outside during a thunderstorm on the 4th of July with a marching band playing down the street.
We must have litter mates. Every time my wife thinks the dogs might be deaf she carefully unwraps a string cheese and they magically appear from the furthest corner of the house.
Bax* likes this.
Steve G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

As long as we are comparing noses I must say my Chessie had the best nose of any dog I have seen - I have had and hunted with Labs, Goldens and Drahts - most Chessie owners say the same thing about their dogs - for whatever reason it seems like the Chessie's don't get the credit they should - probably why the breed is still predictable.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

I used to be a K9 Handler (ran 2 separate Bomb Dogs). I've seen a few Drahthaar's being utilized as detection dogs lately. Breed selection is based on the Olfactory system, essentially the longer the snout the better the Olfactory system (theoretically, individual dogs vary). Therefore, hounds with their long snouts have the highest potential of having the best sniffer, then working down from their. This is why you don't see pugs, bull dogs, boxers etc. used as detection dogs. However, selecting an individual dog should be based on the individual dogs natural drives and abilities. The higher the dogs hunt drive, the more they will use their nose to "hunt". You could have a really high hunt drive lab and low hunt drive hound and the lab will out perform the hound in locating prey every time.

So, to answer your question, Drive is the #1 most important thing, followed by trainability. If you don't have those 2 things you have a nice yard ornament. If you have those 2 things, you're going to have a ton of fun with your dog if you put in the work, irregardless of breed.
Kevin D, APD, AF CYN and 1 others like this.
USMARINEhuntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in