> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,669
Threads: 63,200
Welcome to our newest member, Utecabron
Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default any upland labs?

I'm looking to get a hunting dog in a year give or take, not rushing waiting for the right dog and right time. I really want a GSP, I've only hunted upland, though I would like to try waterfowl (I've only been a hunter for 4 years). My girlfriend really wants a lab... cause she says they're cuter. I've tried to explain for the type of hunting I do, a GSP is more naturally suited. She understands but still rather get a lab and I feel like I cant bulldoze her into getting a GSP if its not the type of dog she really wants. I have heard of pointing labs, ive heard both people say theyre great as well as not nearly as good as a pointer breed.

Those who hunt upland often with their lab, do you feel like your missing out on the pros of having a pointer? or do you just end up walking a bit more?

I first posted this on the upland forum, and then reposted it here in hopes of more exposure
matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Look at the English Setters. You get the best of both worlds, great looking and the pointing aspect. If I spent the majority of my time hunting upland I wold definitely have a Setter, but for now I'm content with my Labs and duck hunting.....
Old 12-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
I'm looking to get a hunting dog in a year give or take, not rushing waiting for the right dog and right time. I really want a GSP, I've only hunted upland, though I would like to try waterfowl (I've only been a hunter for 4 years). My girlfriend really wants a lab... cause she says they're cuter. I've tried to explain for the type of hunting I do, a GSP is more naturally suited. She understands but still rather get a lab and I feel like I cant bulldoze her into getting a GSP if its not the type of dog she really wants. I have heard of pointing labs, ive heard both people say theyre great as well as not nearly as good as a pointer breed.

Those who hunt upland often with their lab, do you feel like your missing out on the pros of having a pointer? or do you just end up walking a bit more?

I first posted this on the upland forum, and then reposted it here in hopes of more exposure
I had a well bred pointing lab out of a kennel in Colorado 15 years ago. I thought she was a total beast on upland (wasn't a great waterfowl dog though). Then I got a pudelpointer a couple years ago, and learned what a real pointing breed can do.

My lab was a poor imitation of a pointer at best.

Honestly, everything I loved about my lab (playful, sweet, etc) my PP is an equal or better. And if I could go back in time and run them both in the field and in the water at the same time, my PP would outperform my lab in every way. It wouldn't even be close. And she's got way better house manners than my lab ever did
matt likes this.
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

You're smart not to bulldoze her. Getting a dog will be very impactful on both of your lives, so you want her to be on board with your choice. That said, there are probably 10 breeds that will be way better upland hunters and still be respectable waterfowl dogs. Do some research on various breeds with her, go look at some litters and make a final decision once you've had a chance to consider all your options.

Check out this website as a starting point: https://www.gundogbreeders.com/
matt likes this.
AF CYN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2019, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

My aunt and uncle have to English Setters, man are they classy looking dogs. I will definitely look at them
matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2019, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Fulfill both of your needs-- Get a Lab and a GSP.

I've had many breeds of dogs over the years for hunting. I now have an 11 month old Lab and he is a handful! Champion breeding and very smart but, full of energy and always getting into trouble around the house and yard.

In all honesty, The best "all around" breed I've owned and hunted behind, both waterfowl and upland, was a Wirehair Pointer. That dog just "got it", and new what to do and didn't get into things as much as the labs I've had.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

"Fulfill both of your needs-- Get a Lab and a GSP."

+1

I've always had two dogs for hunting. Brittanys for my upland and Labs and Chessies for my waterfowl. The Brittanys are ok for waterfowl, except when really cold. My Labs and Chessies are okay for upland, just don't have the endurance of the Brittanys.
Irish Lad is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think you might do well to reach out to a local chapter of NAVHDA, and maybe attend some trainings/events. There are a lot of excellent versatile hunting dog breeds that are bred and developed to be pointers, retrievers, and trackers.

NAVHDA recognizes 30 different versatile breeds. They come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, colors, etc. and you should be able to find a breed that checks basically all of the boxes that you are looking for both for performance and for aesthetics. I've personally hunted behind, trained with, or watched train/test at least one dog from 22/30 of the NAVHDA breeds, and regularly train/test/hunt alongside dogs from 15/30 breeds. While I think there are strengths and weaknesses for some of the breeds, honestly a well-bred pup from any one of these breeds if properly handled and trained should produce an excellent hunting dog and good companion. And yes, we have a handful of non NAVDHA breed dogs that train with us in the Alaska-Yukon NAVHDA Chapter, including labs, mutts, and a standard poodle. While these other breeds tend to do well at certain aspects of our training (typically obedience and retrieve work) they all fall far behind on the field/upland/tracking work compared to the versatile breeds. The labs in particular (including my recollections from my pointing lab) even if well conditioned just don't have the same stamina in the field or in the water that most of the versatile breeds show.

https://www.navhda.org/

And I don't want to intrude in your personal life, but I know for me personally I would want to be absolutely certain that my girlfriend/SO is going to be in my life for the next 12-15 years before letting her have any say in what kind of hunting dog I get!

But, to toot my preferred breed's horn, if "looks like a lab" is a big part of it to her, you might look for a pudelpointer breeder that has a "slick" coat pup they need to sell. Slicks are not breed standard/"desired" and are not to be bred, but even with proper breeding those traits still occur somewhat regularly. That dog will look a lot like a chocolate lab, but still have all of the excellent personality and hunt drive of its bearded/furnished/wirecoated littermates.
AF CYN likes this.
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Are you dead set on a pure bred? One of the best dogs I have ever owned was a Lab / Short hair mix. Good all around dog by far. Just saying.
But I also do agree with others. Possibly get two dogs. They keep each other company. But can be double the trouble as well. We just got a short hair in the spring. He's a great dog, but requires a lot of exercise and play time to calm him down. Good luck
Old 12-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
But, to toot my preferred breed's horn, if "looks like a lab" is a big part of it to her, you might look for a pudelpointer breeder that has a "slick" coat pup they need to sell. Slicks are not breed standard/"desired" and are not to be bred, but even with proper breeding those traits still occur somewhat regularly. That dog will look a lot like a chocolate lab, but still have all of the excellent personality and hunt drive of its bearded/furnished/wirecoated littermates.

How do these Pudelpointer do for waterfowl? I have been doing some reading about this breed since I read this post today. I like the fact that they are Hypoallergenic dogs. I know that you are in Alaska, But do you know of any good breeders here in Utah?

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in