> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,837
Threads: 63,336
Welcome to our newest member, Aadhyaverma
Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting777 View Post
How do these Pudelpointer do for waterfowl? I have been doing some reading about this breed since I read this post today. I like the fact that they are Hypoallergenic dogs. I know that you are in Alaska, But do you know of any good breeders here in Utah?
Without getting too far down any rabbit holes, "hypoallergenic" can mean a lot of things to different people and each individual's reaction can be more/less severe to a specific animal.
"Hypoallergenic" does not mean 'zero allergic reactions' but rather a reduced reaction; hypo=less. That being said, my anecdotal experience is that various friends and family members with moderate/severe dog allergies have not reacted to our pudelpointer.

There is a lot a variability in coat types within pudelpointers. Some are considered "nonshedding" in the sense of anagen/catagen/telogen phases of hair growth where the hair does not stop growing (anagen) for approximately 1 year or more. Some PPs shed every bit as much as a lab, and others everywhere in between. Most double coated dogs, like labs, have an anagen phase of only 2-3 months which leads them to be constantly replacing their coats. Standard poodles (not really related to pudelpointers btw) are single coated dogs (as are most "hypoallergenic" breeds) and can have anagen phases that last up to 7 years. I strip my PP each year in April/May and after that do not brush her at all. In between strippings, I shed more than she does (and I shed less than my wife and daughter...).

PPs are a great breed, and I don't want to sidetrack OP's post too much. Feel free to pm me if you want some more info. I just wanted to put a couple of clarifiers out there based on your questions, hunting777.
hunting777 likes this.
johnnycake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

First off, if she thinks a lab is better looking than a gsp you need to dump her! 😆 second, if you are only doing grouse and pheasants a lab will be ok but any other upland Birds you will be at a disadvantage. I prefer shorthairs but a lot of the versatile breeds would fit the bill. If you are interested in NAVHDA hit me up I’m on the board for the local chapter and can help you out. Also, if you want to talk more in depth on shorthairs and need some resources for puppies I can give you some ideas. Let me know!!
johnnycake likes this.
brendo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2019, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting777 View Post
Are you dead set on a pure bred? One of the best dogs I have ever owned was a Lab / Short hair mix. Good all around dog by far. Just saying.
But I also do agree with others. Possibly get two dogs. They keep each other company. But can be double the trouble as well. We just got a short hair in the spring. He's a great dog, but requires a lot of exercise and play time to calm him down. Good luck

Not deadset, this being my first gun dog I think I want to go to a "reputable" breeder and it seems like most breeders stick to pure bred. This is just an observation of mine and might be incorrect.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2019, 10:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

@ brendo,
thanks for the offer! I am going to take you up on that, just probably wont be for a while
matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Matt, you need to do some research on the German wire hair pointers (GWP) also known as Drathwar after passing a vigorous test. The dog is bred for upland hunting and water fowl hunting. I now own one and love him. They don't get much more birdy than this. I used to owned 3 Brittany spaniels and loved the way they hunted upland birds, but they got cold and all full of burrs. I then owned 2 GSP's. Great upland hunting dogs but again they get cold and are very high energy dogs. I then owned 4 labs since then and currently own a chocolate lab. All very good water fowl hunters and only ok at upland hunting. My GWP is awesome from the time he was 8 weeks old when I got him. My neighbors have chickens and I have 2 cats, he pointed on them from day one. They are not as high energy either. I always said that I would own nothing but a lab but now I would own nothing but a GWP, by far this is the best unknown secret of a hunting dog. The litter that I got my dog from has siblings that have replaced other breeds on bird hunting farms for upland and water fowl. A plus to, they don't shed as much hair like labs.
middlefork likes this.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
Matt, you need to do some research on the German wire hair pointers (GWP) also known as Drathwar after passing a vigorous test. The dog is bred for upland hunting and water fowl hunting. I now own one and love him. They don't get much more birdy than this. I used to owned 3 Brittany spaniels and loved the way they hunted upland birds, but they got cold and all full of burrs. I then owned 2 GSP's. Great upland hunting dogs but again they get cold and are very high energy dogs. I then owned 4 labs since then and currently own a chocolate lab. All very good water fowl hunters and only ok at upland hunting. My GWP is awesome from the time he was 8 weeks old when I got him. My neighbors have chickens and I have 2 cats, he pointed on them from day one. They are not as high energy either. I always said that I would own nothing but a lab but now I would own nothing but a GWP, by far this is the best unknown secret of a hunting dog. The litter that I got my dog from has siblings that have replaced other breeds on bird hunting farms for upland and water fowl. A plus to, they don't shed as much hair like labs.
This but who needs more snobs?
johnnycake likes this.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2020, 09:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
This but who needs more snobs?
Dexter clearly can't be a snob since he said GWPs and Dads are the same I've yet to meet a DD owner that wouldn't choke at that statement!
johnnycake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2020, 09:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
German wire hair pointers (GWP) also known as Drathwar after passing a vigorous test.

and what is a "Drathwar"?
wagdog and johnnycake like this.
gdog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2020, 09:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
I've yet to meet a DD owner that wouldn't choke at that statement!
Didn't choke...just spit up a little
johnnycake likes this.
gdog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #20 (permalink)

I highly encourage all Utah upland game hunters to stick with labs, pointing labs, Wirehairs, Snobby wirehairs, poodle pointers, pudel pointers, labradoodles, hypoallergenic anythings, springers, spaniels, boykins, bumpkins, I'll even throw in the Braque Saint-Germain!

Please please keep hunting these 'special' breeds! It makes it easier to have less real competition on the chukar hills.

It's like ya'll are arguing over the best way to handicap yourself...>

Person 1: I like to hunt by tying my shoelases together
Person 2: Are you kidding me! The best way to hunt is if you wear no boots at all!

and on and on it goes! Ya'll are arguing over the best wooden longbow to use when ya can go pick up a highpowered scoped rifle! Keep at it fellas!
AF CYN and one4fishing like this.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in