Members: 13,842
Threads: 63,350
Welcome to our newest member, Manningup
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fowlmouth
  • 1 Post By rlpenn
  • 1 Post By quackaddict35

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Training tips??

So I am getting ready to retire my Golden from the marsh in a year or two due to her age. As a result, I just picked up a 7 1/2 week old yellow female lab. Just wondering if anyone has some tips / timelines for what has worked well for them in raising a pup into a waterfowl dog? I know right now it is all about building that relationship, trust, socializing them, and basic obedience. Me and my golden started out in the bird game way late. She was 4 before we even started chasing birds. She does amazing for getting such a late start, but now I am starting over with a fresh new pup, I want to train her up right from the get go. Any tips and advice would be appreciated!!
utahbigbull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Didn't anyone tell you that puppies are a pain in the a$$? Congratulations on your new pup. If you can get a few pigeons for her to chase around the yard that will be a good start. The sooner the better. Freddy King has some good videos on Youtube that go all the way from start to finish with a pup.
utahbigbull likes this.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Come on out to the retriever club events this spring---you will get more advice than you can use! This Saturday, March 3, the Northern Utah Retriever Club is having a picnic field trial at the Lee Kay dog training grounds in Salt Lake City---this will be a simulated AKC retriever field trial and puppy competitions. The following Saturday (March 10) the Wasatch Hunting Retriever Club is having a picnic hunt test---this will be a simulated AKC retriever hunting test.

There is pretty much something going on every weekend until the licensed tests and trials start at the end of April. Everything for the year is listed on the WHRC website (http://www.whrc.us/events-2018/).
utahbigbull likes this.
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2018, 07:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default This event cancelled due to weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpenn View Post
Come on out to the retriever club events this spring---you will get more advice than you can use! This Saturday, March 3, the Northern Utah Retriever Club is having a picnic field trial at the Lee Kay dog training grounds in Salt Lake City---this will be a simulated AKC retriever field trial and puppy competitions. The following Saturday (March 10) the Wasatch Hunting Retriever Club is having a picnic hunt test---this will be a simulated AKC retriever hunting test.

There is pretty much something going on every weekend until the licensed tests and trials start at the end of April. Everything for the year is listed on the WHRC website (http://www.whrc.us/events-2018/).
Darn, we are cancelling the 3/3/2018 event due to giant snow storm that is forecast for Saturday. We are looking to reschedule later this month, please check the NURC page for updates:

https://www.facebook.com/NorthernUtahRetrieverClub/
Old 03-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the update.
utahbigbull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2018, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahbigbull View Post
Thanks for the update.

Check out the northern Utah retriever training group on Facebook. That is a great resource and guys are always trying to get together and do some training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZEKESMAN likes this.
quackaddict35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2018, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Couldn’t agree more on getting involved in a retriever club. Great people and great dogs. What you think is a great dog, will certainly become more. It’s awesome. But as much as any of would like to tell you quickly how to train your dog, that isn’t possible. You need to get good training material and learn what you can and stick to the program. Smartwork, fowl dawgs are a couple that are easy to follow and produce successful results for hunting dogs and beyond.
tshuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am looking at getting involved with the Northern Utah Retriever club as well. I have been following them on Facebook. I just need to pull the trigger.
captain68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in