> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,345
Threads: 64,135
Welcome to our newest member, [email protected]
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Duck Calls

My wife was asking what I would like for CHRISTmas this year, and since I dont want to break the bank for her, I would like to ask for a mid-range call ($50-$75) but dont know much about calls honestly.

Any suggestions?

"87% of all internet quotes are made up" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bax* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

I use the Banded Captn and Fat Brother you can buy them at Cabelas on sale for about $80
Utmuddguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would ask her to double that amount and you can get most any duck call you want. Make all depends on what you like double or single reed? Open water or small water? Honestly when you hit around that $100 dollar mark you really start to get a better call. Better material and craftsmanship.
Any way you want to go about it I personally wouldn't steer towards banded. Make sure she doesn't get sucked in to the marketing and buy a duck commander.

Last edited by Chuck; 11-21-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wood daisy slayer.

Go to cabelas and blow them all then pick the one you like. Everyone will have a different opinion of what brand. Me personally I like RNT calls because they work best for me.

Last edited by Hoopermat; 11-21-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Hoopermat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
West side Utah Lake

My favorite is a faulks single reed I've had for over 40 years. I believe they're very inexpensive
wyogoob likes this.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLouisianian View Post
My favorite is a faulks single reed I've had for over 40 years. I believe they're very inexpensive
I have a bunch of poly and cocobolo calls, but my go to call is an old Lohman single reed wood call. I couldn't tell you how old that thing is, but it works good.
wyogoob likes this.
Fowlmouth is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

I blow a Hoodwink Game Calls "Muddy Waters" in Bois D ark. It is my favorite hunting call and when I step on stage for a meat contest or two man calling contest that is what I blow. They retail for a little more than you are wanting to spend, but I know a guy that might be able to get that down to your price range. You can see it here. Muddy

Another call that runs really strong and will make any sound is the Echo "Timber". Get one of those in Bois D Ark or Cocobola you will not be disappointed. You can buy it at "Macks".

Both these calls will easily produce multiple hens have great tone and will be reliable.

You or your wife are welcome to call me if you want to hear either of them or come over and run them.

Bret
801-663-3877
Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Great suggestions guys! Thank you.

Another question: what are the advantages of single and double reeds?

"87% of all internet quotes are made up" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bax* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLouisianian View Post

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin about!

Have some old Olts too. Made in tiny Lyndon Illinois on the Rock River; my old stomping grounds.

For years Lyndon held the annual Crow Festival, really a cool weekend-long event, now in held New York state.

Doesn't matter to me much, I'm the world's worst duck caller.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default My Two Cents

No doubt personal preference is paramount.......that wasn't supposed to rhymn. I like the raspy sound of a Lohmans wooden duck call right out of the package but it has a limited range, both volume and types of calls you can play well. Those old wood calls also lose performance almost as soon as you start blowing them and getting them wet. They also lose performance in even the slightest cold.

I bought a few Polycarbonate Primos calls that have good sound, single reeds. I tweeked the reeds a little and got just the right amount of raspy. One had a large exit port, the other a small exit port. The large exit port call (PHAT LADY) was for open water whereas the small exit port (Yo Sista) was considered a timber call for close calling. I found I liked the Yo Sista more of the time. You can buy those for $20 something dollars. They had a better range than the wooden calls, did ok when wet and cold but I could never blow a high ball call or really get the range I needed.

For my budget I upgraded to a $50 Echo Diamondwood Timber Call......Polycarbonate mouth piece, Cocobala body, double reed. I absolutely LOVE this call. I keep my calls in my shed with my hunting gear.....I rarely walk past my Echo call without giving it a toot or two. I don't know what an $80, $100 or $150 call sounds like.....I'm too afraid to try them. I might just fall in love with them. Someday maybe I'll see what I'm missing. For now I'm very happy with my Echo call.
duckslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in