> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,345
Threads: 64,135
Welcome to our newest member, [email protected]
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Bax,
Like duck slug mentioned personal preference has a lot to do with it.
I could go on and on about this but I will be brief.

Double reed calls are as a rule easier to run, and really ducky. With some exceptions they lack the range of most good single reeds. The thing I dislike about the double reed is that there are two places for condensation to collect. Like a single between the reed and the tone board but also between the two reeds. Once this happens the call usually loses tone and you spend your day trying to keep it dry.
Single reeds as a rule have better range and more versatility. They are no nonsense calls. They are often more dificult to control and require more skill to run correctly. There is less to go wrong. If you can learn to run a good single reed you can also run any double. The same can not be said from the other direction.
That being said I prefer singles by far, but many do very well with double reeds.
MallardFlew likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanks for the input guys.

I am just getting so tired of standing up in the marsh and yelling "come here duck!" so your input is really appreciated.

Also, thank you for the clarifications on single vs double reeds. I really appreciate your insight!

"87% of all internet quotes are made up" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bax* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

I agree with Bret, but double reed calls are better for an over all hunting scenario. Single reed calls do have a great range, but they aren't as raspy and low like an old hen mallard. Single reeds win competitions. If you want a good call for 50$ the Buck Gardner calls are great. They have a double reed style with their spit tech technology so it doesn't stick. I blow a zink ph-2 double magnum double reed and it never sticks. that call runs at $130.
elitewaterfowl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Bret can probably make a bugle tube and jaw harp sound "ducky"
MallardFlew likes this.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

I agree with Bret on the Echo Cocobola. I spent 50 on my Echo Diamondback Double reed and am very pleased with it. Works for me in wet and Utah subfreezing days. Go give it a listen. I tuned the top reed turned up on the corners ever so slight to get the ducky sound I like.
duckslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Can't say I agree at all about a double reed being a better hunting/ducky call than a single reed. Maybe easier to run, but in the duckier sounding call debate if ran properly a single outperforms a double.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyogoob View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm talkin about!

Have some old Olts too. Made in tiny Lyndon Illinois on the Rock River; my old stomping grounds.

For years Lyndon held the annual Crow Festival, really a cool weekend-long event, now in held New York state.

Doesn't matter to me much, I'm the world's worst duck caller.
I have a couple of the old P.S. Olt D-2s. They cost ~$3 new back in the 1960's. Mine say Pekin, Illinois. They're a bit more nowadays.

I think Bret's right about double reeds being easier. I suck at calling, but have been able to actually call a duck or two with my Buck Gardner Double Nasty. Of course they were just dumb mallards, does that count?

Last edited by paddler; 12-05-2014 at 02:29 PM.
paddler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2014, 01:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler213 View Post
I have a couple of the old P.S. Olt D-2s. They cost ~$3 new back in the 1960's. Mine say Pekin, Illinois. They're a bit more nowadays.

I think Bret's right about double reeds being easier. I suck at calling, but have been able to actually call a duck or two with my Buck Gardner Double Nasty. Of course they were just dumb mallards, does that count?

I think the Olt D-2 is the #1 selling duck call of all time.

I haven't been to Pekin for over 5 years. As far as I know they are still making the D-2 there. Olt's business address on their packaging, on some calls and on their website says Lyndon. I was in Lyndon a week ago today....a funeral. P. S. Olt has been around for almost 100 years and there calls are very popular.

DJ Illinois River Valley Calls is also in Pekin. They make a great Canadian Goose call. I just bought a swan call from DJ. It sounds great but I haven't used it on a swan hunt yet.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

i personally like the zink duck and goose calls you get your moneys worth
duck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

I renewed my DU membership a while back. I get a cool looking Buck Gardner double reed call for free! Best deal on a duck call ever. Renew your membership soon!

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in