> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,358
Threads: 64,161
Welcome to our newest member, Der Huntsman
Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2021, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Waterfowl jacket

I know i am asking about a lot of product and I apologize. After season 2 I am wanting to invest more into season 3 as I found this hobby to be great.

Now I want a jacket for the colder months, I walk/bike a lot and don’t want just a thick jacket that makes me sweat. However I also want to lay out in snow and wind once I get to my spot.

Suggestions?
fish-n-fool likes this.
prumpf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2021, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sitka......period

Especially being a foot soldier.. Keeps you warmer for half the weight..

The Duck Oven is my favorite. The Fahrenheit jacket would be another great option. However, those are for dry conditions.

My combo is the heavy weight hoody paired with The Fahrenheit vest and when it gets really cold, I put my Duck Oven on as my outer. If there’s precipitation then I put my Delta Wading jacket on.

The Hudson would be a great late season option, it’s got insulation in the torso and it’s 100% Gore-Tex.

My brother seems to really like the layout jacket. Insulated and Gore-Tex

The Dakota hoodie ( water resistant DWR) would be a great option for mid to late season especially if you paired it with the medium weight zip T and a Fahrenheit vest.

The Delta wading jacket is the perfect Early, mid and late season precipitation barrier. It’s 100% Gore-Tex and a windbreaker but, it’s not insulated so, you would want some thing like the duck oven underneath it to keep you warm .

I like my combo set because it covers me for every climate condition during the season.

Buy once cry once........ Sitka

Last edited by goosefreak; 01-11-2021 at 10:04 PM.
goosefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2021, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

I like my Sitka Delta wading jacket. I have an older Herters wading jacket that I use the liner from, and just put the Sitka jacket over the top. I found one brand new on KSL for $270. Beats spending the $400 they want retail. I looked at the Cabelas Northern Flight line, and it looked as cheap as its price tag (~$160ish). Didn't like the Drake stuff either and it was around $250. Finding the Sitka jacket was probably lucky, but I have loved using it...granted haven't really got to test it out in any nasty weather yet with the constant high pressure we've had since the beginning of Dec! It has pit zips too, so you can dump heat. I would rather layer than get a big parka, and with waders on the wading jacket is great. If I were strictly field hunting, I'd want to go with a standard parka, but out in the marsh with waders, the jacket has been excellent.
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2021, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

A hoodie pretty much gets me through the entire season. It has to be super cold or wet before a jacket or coat goes on.
utahbigbull likes this.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlmouth View Post
A hoodie pretty much gets me through the entire season. It has to be super cold or wet before a jacket or coat goes on.
I agree Rob. Hoodie gets me through 90% of the season. When it’s raining or super cold or laying in a field, guess what, my Cabelas bibs and jacket keep me perfectly warm. Have never had the need for Sh!tka and have put that money to gear. You know, gear to help me offset being able to bag half the birds as I would have if I only had Sh!tka. Besides, not sure if I will ever be one of those “elitists”, even if I had money I wanted to waste on it. They don’t even make their crap in a 4xl!!
utahbigbull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2021, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

It makes me laugh every time somebody talk $hit on Sitka and when they do finally get some their eyes become open to a whole New World.

If you want to stay warmer and dryer than everybody else for half the weight in clothing as everybody else, Sitka hands down.
Besides, public land birds are harder then laying in a private field.

I don’t slack on any of my gear but, I can afford it. I don’t need to take money out of my retirement or 401(k) or anything. I just save my money and buy what I want.

They just hate us because they ain’t us.

#beenkillinlimitsabout15yearslongerthenyou

- sincerely, more than generous elitist -
utahbigbull likes this.

Last edited by goosefreak; 01-12-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

I can't speak to Sitka outerwear, as I don't own any because I had a pretty solid gear system in place already. I'm sure their stuff is amazing, but you can also find very competent gear for a fraction of the price. For example, my shell is from Browning, and is also Gore-Tex Pro (triple layer) and I got it for $99 on sale at their outlet. Matching Gore-Tex Pro bibs were $79, and then I bought the puffy down liner that zips in to the shell for another hundred bucks. Watch for sales and good deals and you can find some great stuff out there. My favorite piece of hunting clothing I own and hands down what I get the most use out of is a nice set of breathable, wicking, warm thermal top and bottoms. Mine happen to be Under Armour, but there is all sorts of options out there.

With that set up, and proper layering prior to my outerwear, I hunt everything from early season to the negative teens and stay warm and dry. Honestly though, I'm like a few guys on here, in that most of the time I get by with a good hoodie or sweater unless there is precipitation. I prefer less bulk for shooting, walking, etc.

I'm not saying this to bash Sitka. I'd definitely wear the stuff if it was given to me or I had a sweet hookup on it. And I frequently daydream about saving up for a pair of their waders, but just can't ever talk myself into it because some other piece of gear or gun always wins out in my mind. But I wanted to to show that you can get a decent setup without spending $500-$1000 on outerwear. If you want to go that route, I'm sure you'd be happy. But if you can't go that route, don't be discouraged thinking you won't be okay with something else.

Last edited by gander311; 01-12-2021 at 10:22 AM.
gander311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefreak View Post
It makes me laugh every time somebody talk $hit on Sitka and when they do finally get some their eyes become open to a whole New World.

If you want to stay warmer and dryer than everybody else for half the weight in clothing as everybody else, Sitka hands down.

I don’t slack on any of my gear but, I can afford it. I don’t need to take money out of my retirement or 401(k) or anything. I just save my money and buy what I want.

Oh lord..., point proven. 😂😂😂
utahbigbull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2021, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have been using the Roger elite tough man waders for the past 4 seasons and like them 1600 gram boot and 5M neoprene. We just bought two brand new pair of them and the Drake refuge 3.0 wading jackets with the zip out liner and have to say I like being able to shed the layer to stay cooler on a walk in and the outer water proof shell is very light. This setup is used mainly for boating in but works well in a walk in and am into all of it for about $450.00 each. That is the cost for the cheapest Sitka jacket or maybe the hoodie, I really don't know. I do know it is keeping us warm and dry all day long no matter what the conditions are and will last for 4-6 years maybe longer if you take care of them and store them right.

I will say the waders are not to fun in the early season 70 degree weather. But we usually don't start getting to serious about hunting until it is cold enough to kill the mosquitos and horse fly's. If we did we would buy some breathable waders probably.

Sitka is some real nice gear BUT not to easy on the wallet in my opinion. I can afford it just can't justify what the stuff costs. I'm sure you could spend upwards of 2K to be setup like GF.

With that said get what you think you can afford. This sport has got you hooked don't go hungry from the addiction.

fnf
Old 01-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahbigbull View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefreak View Post

Oh lord..., point proven. 😂😂😂
You prove my point every time you call/text one of us fishing for information about where to hunt then drop back off the radar again. All take and no give.

You also proved my point again when you condescendingly bashed me for my opinion on Sitka further revealing your vendetta for me When the guy was asking for suggestions on gear.

Geez, you still butt hurt you didn’t get an invite to shoot those geese on the last day of duck season last year?

You further prove my point that you can’t be trusted With good public land hot spots when you phucked me on the spur. Going right to the spot I told you I was going to in to morning. For someone who had very little experience on the spur especially in unit six just coincidentally showed up to the very spot I told you about the night before three hours before shooting late? Give me a break. That’s why my circle small.

You were too nervous to take your new boat out on the spur so I go run it with my boat and relay all sorts of information to you and then you were like a ghost in the wind never to be heard of again? Like what is that Robert?

Like me saving you from buying a boat that you admitted ran like $hit but, you still wanted to buy it?

You’ve had a beef with me ever since last year’s duck season closer when you didn’t get the invite to go shoot geese that we were completely rolling the dice on.

No, you did exactly what you should have done. Shoot ducks one last time with your boy just the 2 of you instead of hanging out with three other foul mouthed guys and potentially not shooting anything

So save me that pathetic “oh Lord“ Nonsense

Last edited by goosefreak; 01-12-2021 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in