> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,345
Threads: 64,135
Welcome to our newest member, [email protected]
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Binos

Hey guys,

Looking to buy some Binos for duck hunting. Finding myself hoping I had some with me on hunts. What do you carry if you do? I don’t want to take my Swarovski’s that I use for big game into the marsh. What size etc would you guys recommend
prumpf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2021, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

A cheap pair of Bushnell 10x42’s work great for me.
shaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2021, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a cheap pair of Cabelas Pine Ridge 10x42s that I take in the field. Probably cost $150. If I'm looking from my vehicle I usually take a set of Zeiss 10x56s. Man, the difference is night and day, but I'm not gonna subject those things to the muck and goo.
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2021, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Nikon Monarch 7 8x30's were stolen when somebody took my shooting box. I bought the same binos but in 10x42. Can't honestly say I see a whole lot of difference between them and my Leica Trinovid 10x42's.

I recently read an article comparing binoculars for birders at different price points:

https://www.audubon.org/gear/binocular-guide

Kinda like the race car builder told a potential customer, "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"
Old 01-10-2021, 07:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just get on Amazon, there are lots of usable binocs for $50-$100 range that are very very good for the price. Somehow many have bought into the the idea you got to spend hundreds, if not thousands to have a functional pair of binocs...just ain't true.
2full likes this.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

I depends on how much you want to spend. Go to One of our local stores and compare. I had Leopold and looked through Vortex Diamond Back, it was a big difference. For the price range under $300.00 the Diamond Back are hard to beat.
The warranty is something to consider as well.

Last edited by GoosesNightMare; 01-10-2021 at 10:23 AM.
GoosesNightMare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Vortex Solo 10x25 Monocular. It doesn't weigh anything and goes around my neck with my call lanyard.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPturkeys View Post
Just get on Amazon, there are lots of usable binocs for $50-$100 range that are very very good for the price. Somehow many have bought into the the idea you got to spend hundreds, if not thousands to have a functional pair of binocs...just ain't true.
Gonna respectfully disagree with you BP. While there are plenty of functional, cheap binos out there, if you want the really good ones that will last, then you have to pay. Otherwise, we'd all be sporting Tasco specials. I don't think anyone will dispute that if you put Swaros, or other high end optics, up against Tasco's, the Swaros win everytime.

Something I've noticed with higher end optics is that the fields of view are generally larger in higher quality optics and they don't strain your eyes as much. Edge clarity is much better too.

At the end of the day, it just depends on what you want to use them for. Quick scanning for stuff out a mile or so, sure, cheap glass works just fine. But if you're spending alot of time behind them wanting more detail and clarity, you have to pay for it.

It only hurts when you pay for upper end optics once. After that, you're grateful every single day that you have them!
Old 01-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWScott72 View Post
Gonna respectfully disagree with you BP. While there are plenty of functional, cheap binos out there, if you want the really good ones that will last, then you have to pay. Otherwise, we'd all be sporting Tasco specials. I don't think anyone will dispute that if you put Swaros, or other high end optics, up against Tasco's, the Swaros win everytime.

Something I've noticed with higher end optics is that the fields of view are generally larger in higher quality optics and they don't strain your eyes as much. Edge clarity is much better too.

At the end of the day, it just depends on what you want to use them for. Quick scanning for stuff out a mile or so, sure, cheap glass works just fine. But if you're spending alot of time behind them wanting more detail and clarity, you have to pay for it.

It only hurts when you pay for upper end optics once. After that, you're grateful every single day that you have them!
Yep, everything you say is correct. A couple of points, most of us don't spend a "lot of time" behind them and many of us simply can't justify $1000, $1400, $1800, $2000, $3000 on a pair of binocs. If you can, by ALL means, buy that high dollar stuff, it is everything you say.
One more point, I think Prumpf was looking for some "cheap but functional" glass to bounce around out in the duck blind. Maybe in reality, expensive glass isn't always the best choice if you won't use them for fear of drop-n-stomp out in the marsh where you are not spending endless time scanning the horizon anyway.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

One problem that I have seen with those who purchase a $100 pair of binoculars is that they do this 4 or 5 times and would of been better off just biting the bullet one time and got a fairly decent pair of binoculars for $500 the first time.

As for dragging them through the muck, do you drag your shotgun through the muck or do you take care of it? I can understand getting some mud or water on them at times but get some water resistant or water proof ones and when you get home all you need to do is to clean them up. It isn't like you are going to be holding them under water or throwing them into the muck and mire.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in