> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,443
Threads: 64,278
Welcome to our newest member, Rmanwill
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2021, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Panguitch lake muzzleloader deer

Me and my dad are hunting the panguitch lake muzzleloader this year and it could be my dads last year hunting. We are familiar with the area since we have a cabin near duck creek village but have never hunted that area, I know nobody is going to give away any honey holes but maybe some areas with trailheads to walk in. Any info would be awesome and much appreciated
Zach1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2021, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wish I knew what tags me and my family were gonna have 3.5 months before draw results were posted!
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
PBH

does Cedar Mountain / Panguitch have trailheads that aren't inundated with ATV's? I don't know that there are any "hike in" areas on that unit...

Nately: ĎAnything worth living for, is worth dying for.í
Sacrilegious old man: ĎAnd anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2021, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMeat View Post
I wish I knew what tags me and my family were gonna have 3.5 months before draw results were posted!
Have you tried one of those magic 8-balls? Let me know if it works because then I will buy one.
BigT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMeat View Post
BS. You know the system better than that!
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
BS. You know the system better than that!
I thought I did, until last year. The tags I was certain we would draw never came through and the only 2 tags we did get were very unexpected random LE elk and LE pronghorn.

We shall see how this year goes. Iím planning on some tags, but after last year, who knows at this point
Old 02-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well when you have 8 points for general deer I would say it’s fairly safe to say we will draw. Maybe you should read up about draw odds
Zach1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Easy there bud. No need to get spicy. We're all friends here.

MM made his comment because as he mentioned nothing is ever truly known. For all we know, that unit gets 99% of tags cut this year. There was also know context that you had 8 points in the original post.

I don't know the unit. But based on your post, I would make this more about hunting with your dad instead of finding the 'best place'. Harvest is only a small measure of a successful hunt, and if it might be his last I would focus entirely on enjoying my time with him. Just my two cents and worth what you paid.
justismi28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2021, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach1987 View Post
Well when you have 8 points for general deer I would say itís fairly safe to say we will draw. Maybe you should read up about draw odds
Iíd be willing to bet I know how to read and interpret draw odds better than you do, but thatís another topic for another day.

Let me tell you a little story about the 2020 draw. My dad, who was exiting the dedicated program from the year previous, really wanted to draw another deer tag. The unit of his choosing, would take 2 DH points based off previous years draw odds, to be successful in the draw. Me, planning for these scenarios in the future has been doing thing to ensure that when he, we, I or other family members want tags, we can draw them. When he applied, his point pool to draw said permit was with 4 preference points. Double what as ďguaranteedĒ to draw that tag over the last 5 years. Well draw results came out, and guess what! UNSUCCESSFUL! how could that be? Well, turns out that there were major tag cuts for the unit and NO tags, ZERO!, were issued for dedicated that year for that unit. I was sure he would draw. But didnít.

So next time you go piping off on your 2nd post ever, about how you are sure youíll draw tags, 3 months before the results are posted, and before you start telling me to learn to read draw odds, just remember. This whole thing is completely out of your hands after you submit your application. On a year like this, with deer already in rough shape headed into the winter, a drought compounding on top of another one, no feed for wintering animals and a few other elements im sure you havenít thought of, you have zero idea what theyíre gonna do with permit numbers. Yeah, 8 should be enough. But I certainly wouldnít plan on ANYTHING until you have that email telling you that you drew a tag.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Iím sure Iím going to draw my deer tag.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in