> FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,117
Threads: 63,706
Welcome to our newest member, [email protected]
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bowdude

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Target/3D Equipment Rules

I'm trying to find more information on how all of it works in 3D or target. Should I get a scope, can I use a light, blade rests, cages, stabilizers?

Can anyone point me in a direction for more answers. I found some but it seems maybe the rules change in each tournament?
Am I being foolish thinking I need more gear when I have a bow I could shoot freestyle?

I dont want to buy a bunch of stuff I didnt need or should have spent on other things if I could avoid it.
Thanks for any help.
olibooger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Archery Talk has information on both.

In general there are different classes for different setups. It's been a couple of years since I cared what each requirement was for.

Last I remember Bowhunter class was Compound bow, Fixed sights and restricted stabilizers.

Open I think let you use adjustable sights and longer stabilizers. It might also include scopes, lights ect.

If you are trying to be competitive at anything above bowhunter class plan on spending a lot of coin.

I just found shooting for fun more enjoyable.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I should probably dig in archery tall a bit it sounds but if I were to use a scope with a magnifier and clarifier, that would put me in a certain class. Are there different divisions of sorts within that class? Like new guy, amateur, pro class?
I wouldnt be interested in it if i were to be thrown in with guys who hit Xs all day and me feeling happy getting the 10 ring.

I've noticed things jump in price quite a bit. It just seems like a lot of fun. But fun to me doesnt entail scoring dead last by a mile each go at it, ya know?
Thanks for replying by the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you just shoot for fun you can shoot with any group that you can pair up with. Money shooters generally require at least three money shooters in a group to keep it honest. Depending on the shoot it can be pretty easy to shoot as a fun shooter with a group shooting for money.

I have a son, son in law and a friend who shoot the money class. Two of them can be competitive in most shoots. With that being said I have never met any of the money shooters who were not willing to help somebody just starting out.

Talk to Kyle at Douglas Archery. You can't meet a nicer down to earth guy. And he can shoot!
Old 09-21-2020, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

We watched his Vegas shoot last week. I wont say we weren't impressed. People I talk to talk about him being a super awesome guy and I try to catch him on 24th but havent been able to yet.
I have what I think is a pretty good opportunity to pick up a light and scope for 200. But I dont know how long the offer will be good for. I've been wanting to get into archery more I just havent had time to dig in like I want to and should.
Winning money would be super awesome but I think you're right. I should probably just try to have fun with it before I get serious.

That is a tough thing for my personality to do. But it's probably best.

In your opinion middlefork, is a light even necessary?

Do you think having a press would be smarter to get over going down this road? Am I jumping the gun a bit?
Again, I really appreciate your response.

Last edited by olibooger; 09-21-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lighted pins are great for indoors. If that is the road you are thinking about then yes go for it.

A press it just like reloading for a gun. If you can work on your own bow you can tweak to your hearts content.

I had a light on one of my sights and very seldom used it. If you get in to it to me a magnified sight with a clarifier would be the first upgrade. The difference is pretty amazing.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Do your research on the scope. Not all scopes (lens) are created equal. Basically you get what you pay for. Top of the line lens will run you nearly four hundred dollars. Swarovski is considered the best. I use Feather Vision. Clarity between lens manufacturers varies a lot. Clarifiers are not always needed. Depends on your eyes and the quality of the lens. As your eyes age, the need of a clarifier changes as well as the power. I have a 4 power and 6 power lens. I quit using a lens several years ago because I could not get used to seeing the movement that is magnified by the lens. At my eye age, I am ready to go back to using one for indoor 3-d. Just can't seem to find the right combination of lens power and clarifier power. The lens brings the target into focus well enough, but the pin disappears. If I put a verifier in the peep, the pin comes in really sharp, but the target blurs terribly. I will get back to figuring out a system that will work for me shortly. Our winter 3-d league will begin after Thanksgiving.

I have a light and use it when in a building that is not well lighted. Before you spend a wad of money on a light, pickup a keychain light and Velcro it onto your bow to see if it is liked or needed. Blue or purple seems to be the best color for most. Cost will be under $10. You can spend a lot of money just chasing your tail until you figure our what you really like. I would advise you to go to shoots, talk with other shooters, read and study and get involved with a league.
middlefork likes this.
bowdude is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

As far as different classes of shooting goes, there are several. You will be thrown into the same class as the pro's and have to compete with them. Equipment determines the class. For us Seniors, they have added a senior class, new a year ago I believe. As middle fork suggested, go enter as a fun shooter and see how you compare to others. I don't compete, but I do like to see how my score fares. I am in the upper end of the scoring group. On my best day and the pro's worst, I think I might be able to compete. Two years ago I entered the Senior Olympics in St. George and tried their 3-d competition. I ended up taking third place in my age group. I would like to try it again sometime without a shoulder injury. I don't know if I would place any higher, but for sure my scores would be better. That was the first and only time I have ever competed. Had a good time. Competition can be fun if that is your thing. Personally, I just like being the unknown who shows up and does well and then disappears.

For money shooters, they will have several flights with a predetermined number of competitors in each. The top shooters in each flight will be given prize money. There are some shooters that are pro class, when they show up, you might as well write them out a check. You aren't going to beat them. That is why they do the flights.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

A lot of helpful information in those three posts. The biggest take away was to do more research on equipment. I asked around, even messaged a pro and decided I would probably want a smaller, or at the least a different scope than what I was looking at. When I say asked around, I did similar to what I've done here on other web sites.
That is a very good suggestion to test light the scope before buying a light. At this point, I'm thinking I ought to as bowguy said and go to a few places where they're shooting to mingle around and ask people about a lot of this stuff. I'd be able to see what getting myself into, at the least.
For now I've decided to hold off on the scope to get a bow press. I figure I have 4 bows and 3 that need tuning/set up. I can use my hunting setup to get in the door for conversation. I wouldnt want to show up with equipment that would suggest I actually know what I'm doing. I'm far from knowing what I'd like to know.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Good choice. I have owned one kind or another of a press for a lot of years. Amazing how doing your own work on the bow will aid in your accuracy and shooting ability. The better you understand how the bow works, the more you can tweak it to your personal specifications. Helps you sort through all the mis-leading BS that the arm chair "experts" are so eager to share. Just don't forget that you have to tune your arrow as well as the bow. That is an area that is greatly overlooked.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in