> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,527
Threads: 63,084
Welcome to our newest member, Fernando
Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hunting pants

What are you guys wearing for pants. I have some first lite pants - obsidian merino wool. I love them, the only problem is they are so thin that my legs get torn up from the thistles and other bushes. Legs gets scratched to hell and I start getting an minor reaction to it. What are you wearing during the archery hunts while brushing through the tall green stuff?
DevilDog09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
APD

for archery i've been using the sitka mtn pant. i don't get in thorns very often but spend a lot of time in thick vegetation with stickers and woody brush. best pant i own. i'll be trying the apex pant this year for warmer days. hope they hold up.
APD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2020, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

An alternative from typical hunting brands that I use are the 5.11 taclite pro pants. They have a few other pants that I think would work as well like the stryke or icon. Mine have been tough as nails and are water resistant. Big fan of them.

Last edited by T-dubs-42; 03-27-2020 at 10:55 PM.
T-dubs-42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Kuiu Attack pants are my favorite article of clothing Iíve ever owned.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2020, 07:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Woodland BDU pants. The cotton/poly or cotton/nylon variety.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Cheap cotton camo pants from Walmart. I don't see a need to spend $100 for a pair of pants to get mucked up. Now, rain gear is another story! I'll spend $200 for lightweight rain gear I can throw in my daypack.
bowgy likes this.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2020, 07:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sitka Apex Pants, Kings Camo Pants (not sure of the name), Under Armour fleece lined pants when it's real cold, surplus Army BDU pants are also tough to beat. The BDU's are pre-treated with insect repellent so they do have a bit of a strange odor for the first little while.

I'm looking to buy a set of Sitka Timberline pants in Open Country to go with my late season sitka gear.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sitka Timberline - I've had one pair for the past 6 years. Great pants. Love the knee pads (makes crawling much easier).
waspocrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Years ago when I was in Boston (Dracut Mass to be exact) I visited a clothing manufacture and walked through in a guided tour of the facility. They had cloths that were identical to each other they were sewing tags on. ALL the cloths were identical, except for the tags. I asked about this and was told that ALL the clothing comes from the same maker (90% from China) and that they have contracts with branded names to sew their tag into the garment.

That's why I buy the cheap stuff for a base and not the name brand. Its the same stuff, your just paying that mark-up for the NAME. Oh, and most clothing has an average mark-up of 50-75%. The store can discount items down 50% and still make an additional 25% profit.

Last edited by taxidermist; 03-28-2020 at 08:44 AM.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidermist View Post
That's why I buy the cheap stuff for a base and not the name brand. Its the same stuff, your just paying that mark-up for the NAME.
My pants aren't 100% cotton, which is a TERRIBLE material for anything active in the outdoors. So no, they are not the same thing with a different tag.

People can buy whatever they want. It's no big deal, do what works for you. But the above just isn't close to being true. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be happy with the decisions you have made for you. If your pants work for what you want them to, that's fantastic and a great purchase.

I am a bargain shopper for all types of gear. You can hike through the hills in levis, a flannel shirt, cotton socks, and pair of velcro Wal-Mart shoes. You absolutely can do that, even in a rain or snow storm. You could even do it naked. But quality gear will make the experience much more enjoyable.
waspocrew and Kwalk3 like this.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in