> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,443
Threads: 64,278
Welcome to our newest member, Rmanwill
Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Am I the only one that noticed nearly 80 of our premium utah tags went to out of staters via the Hunt expo. How is this even a thing. How ridiculous Great job Utah wildlife board.
hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2021, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

$$$$$$$$
cedar likes this.
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2021, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Money talks!

Hawkeye
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2021, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I knew the highest amount of increase in applicants with no validation required would be non-residents.

There is still a very high number that drew. Something like 42% of the tags went to nonresidents, I believe. Of course, it's probably just another statistical anomaly with the expo draws. Nothing to see here.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think it's funny that expo fans will try to spread the rumor that the expo tags come from the nonresident pool. This is of course not true and never has been but that's what they sell to make residents feel better about it---and now look how many of those tags have gone to nonresidents! It's such a frickin joke
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2021, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Do NR expo winners pay NR tag prices?

Having drawn an expo permit I am less inclined to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon. I do like to follow the money however.

I would assume that the number of NR's that applied this year far surpasses past years and with so many Utahans "boycotting" the expo for whatever reason (s) their chances of drawing increased exponentially. NR's aren't the ones upset by the expo tags nor are they the ones boycotting SFW and the expo.

It is the angry Utahan that hurts the angry Utahans chances of drawing a permit in that drawing.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would say that non residents pay the non resident fee since all the drawing does is to allow the winner of the drawing to purchase a tag
wyogoob likes this.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't have near the problem with NR hunters as I do with the whole idea of giving these tags to a private for profit organization. The entire concept is absolutely crazy. yes, the money is important so why, why, why would we give product(tags) away. How many of you business owners would give your product, product that you can easily sell yourself at FULL retail, to some other company.
The crazy thing...some of the profits these "so called conservation groups" reap from the free product they sell goes to pay the bribes that keep the whole process going. How does that grab you fellers that have been waiting for years for a tag.
The DWR should be the one, the ONLY one selling and profiting from the sell of hunting/fishing permits!(save maybe a small flat rate fee to dealers that aren't actually making money from the sale).
wyogoob, Critter, provider and 2 others like this.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2021, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPturkeys View Post
I don't have near the problem with NR hunters as I do with the whole idea of giving these tags to a private for profit organization. The entire concept is absolutely crazy. yes, the money is important so why, why, why would we give product(tags) away. How many of you business owners would give your product, product that you can easily sell yourself at FULL retail, to some other company.
The crazy thing...some of the profits these "so called conservation groups" reap from the free product they sell goes to pay the bribes that keep the whole process going. How does that grab you fellers that have been waiting for years for a tag.
The DWR should be the one, the ONLY one selling and profiting from the sell of hunting/fishing permits!(save maybe a small flat rate fee to dealers that aren't actually making money from the sale).

Ummm....If I pay $5 to apply and the rest of the money is collected by the DWR for the permit then am I really providing a lot of profit for the "for profit company" that organized the sale?

Heck, the DWR itself charges more ($10) for the "opportunity" to maybe get a tag and us residents can only apply for one species per year.

At least at the expo you know that the tags you are applying for are guaranteed available. The DWR makes us apply for tags that may not even be available...and they charge twice as much.

I'm not jumping directly on the side of the expo or the organizers thereof (although it does sound that way). I have never once paid to get into the expo nor have I purchased anything (except for an overpriced beer or two) from the event. Would the people that despise the system and expo hate it as much if the RMEF had rightfully been granted the contract a few years back? I'm just trying to figure out if it is the tags or the organizers that draw the most criticism.

It's an opportunity to go hunting for me. Plain and simple. I pay hundreds of dollars every year to apply in other states knowing full well I likely will never draw while I'm in good enough shape to complete the hunt. I pay for the chance. I pay for the opportunity at a chance. Like the system or not, if you want to hunt and cannot pay for a canned hunt every year you have to take every opportunity to apply for that chance that you can. This is the reality in which we live.

Last edited by KineKilla; 02-22-2021 at 06:15 PM.
KineKilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2021, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KineKilla View Post
I'm just trying to figure out if it is the tags or the organizers that draw the most criticism.
Yes
provider likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - John R. Wooden
derekp1999 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in