> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,443
Threads: 64,278
Welcome to our newest member, Rmanwill
Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2021, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

They still had nonresident only pools as incentive to attend even though there was no validation requirements this year. They are always looking for an angle to continue to shaft Utah hunters.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
weaversamuel76 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2021, 07:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KineKilla View Post
I'm just trying to figure out if it is the tags or the organizers that draw the most criticism.
The answer to this is YES!

As for the $5 vs the cost of the tag comment, it doesnít really work that way. Yes, if you played the game one time only for $5 and drew, you did not contribute much to the sponsoring organization. Iím going to go out on a limb and say you havenít only applied one time at one application of $5 only. And when you start talking 40,000-50,000 $5 applications, that starts looking a little different than just your $5 example...which isnít accurate or even close to the case.

Letís assume just 30,000 applications total were done. The sponsor keeps $3.50 of every one of those as an administrative fee. That is not just your $5.00 you are talking about. Thatís over $105,000.00. And then letís pretend that you had that for 10 years. Thatís over $1 million.

Now, letís not use my super low nice round number, but the real number of applications that come through. Do that math, then come back to me with the ď$5 isnít that much if Iím paying the cost of the tag to the DWRĒ jargon. Yes...you, me, and a whole lot of other people are providing a crap ton of profit for the sponsoring organization that was given the tags for nothing.
bowhunt3r4l1f3 likes this.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2021, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm not arguing whether the $5 profit is acceptable or not. I do not know what it takes to organize and draw for all these permits either.

I'd be fine if all these tags went back into the public system in their proper ratios to help (if only even a little) with the point creep and astounding wait times for a tag.

But as long as there is a chance for me to apply for any hunt in my home state that I will otherwise never draw...I'm in.

Just my $.02

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
7MM RELOADED likes this.
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2021, 09:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Iím with you. This was my first year not applying since 2012. Iíve always viewed it the same, if there are opportunities to hunt, I want my name in the hat. It was a little refreshing to take a year off. Weíll see if I jump back in next year.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

It is not easy to wean yourself off of something that is addicting but in the long run is very bad for you.
All of us Utah hunters need to find a twelve step program.
I will start.
Step1. Do not rationalize to yourself that stealing tags from the first established pool of tags to establish a ‘premium’ pool of tags is acceptable.
Feel free to add steps #2-12.
hawkeye likes this.

Last edited by MrShane; 02-23-2021 at 10:45 AM.
MrShane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2021, 09:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

I just got through talking to a gent from Oregon and he said that the main reason that he even put in for a tag on the Expo draw was because of not having to be there.

And he drew a tag.

Perhaps next year they'll look at it and it will get back to normal, but what is normal these days?
Old 02-24-2021, 08:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I just got through talking to a gent from Oregon and he said that the main reason that he even put in for a tag on the Expo draw was because of not having to be there.

And he drew a tag.

Perhaps next year they'll look at it and it will get back to normal, but what is normal these days?
I doubt they’ll want to loose that new revenue. Perhaps they change it so if you validate, you have a bonus point going into the draw (2 ping pong balls in the bucket instead of one) and if you don’t validate, you can still enter the draw, but have one chance.
brisket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

They will be returning to in person validation like before next year. While I think SFW would love it if that provision was removed, the State is in charge of that decision. That isnít changing, unless we just blatantly admit wildlife conservation is no longer the goal, and making SFW money is all the state cares about.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hopefully there isn’t a ‘next year expo’ and the tags are returned.
Dreaming......
bowhunt3r4l1f3 likes this.
MrShane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShane View Post
Hopefully there isn’t a ‘next year expo’ and the tags are returned.
Dreaming......
They couldn’t do that without violating a contract. They need to see it through the duration of the contract, and I’d be okay if they slowly weaned it off. But if I’m being honest, the conservation tags are just as if not more problematic for me than the expo tags. At least the expo tags provide an extra minimal opportunity for the public to draw. Conservation tags, which outnumber expo tags, do no such thing. And are generally the best tags available as well.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in