> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,434
Threads: 64,257
Welcome to our newest member, Laneyanderson
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2021, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default BHA Confused Ethics

BHA Mission & Vision Statement
Quote:
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure North America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of wild public lands and waters.

A Vision for Backcountry Conservation
Our freedom to hunt and fish depends on habitat. While many of us enjoy hunting and fishing on a range of landscapes, including farm fields and reservoirs, there is something special – even magical – about hunting deep in the backcountry or fishing on a remote river.

Wilderness hunting and fishing deliver a sense of freedom, challenge and solitude that is increasingly trampled by the twin pressures of growing population and increasing technology. Many treasured fish and wildlife species – such as cutthroat trout, grizzly bear and bighorn sheep – thrive in wilderness. Others, like elk and mule deer, benefit from wilderness. From the Steens Mountain Wilderness in Oregon to the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness in Idaho and the Boundary Waters of Minnesota, BHA members treasure America's wilderness system and strive to add to it.

We take the advice of Theodore Roosevelt: "Preserve large tracts of wilderness ... for the exercise of the skill of the hunter, whether or not he is a man of means."
B&C Position Statement - Electonics including Trailcams
Quote:
III. Use of electronic communication devices (2-way radios, cell phones, etc.) to guide hunters to game, artificial lighting, electronic light intensifying devices (night vision optics), sights with built-in electronic range-finding capabilities (including smart scopes), drones/unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), thermal imaging equipment, electronic game calls or cameras/timers/motion tracking devices that transmit images and other information to the hunter;

Technological advancement in hunting equipment is a natural progression of our desire to be successful and affective in ethically harvesting game. At some point, these technologies can displace a hunter’s skills to the point of taking unfair advantage of the game. Below are some examples (which are not intended to be an exhaustive list):

The use of devices that transmit captured or live images or video from the field back to the hunter crosses the line of fair chase.
BHA Position Trailcams
Quote:
Utah Backcountry Hunters and Anglers understands that HB 0295: Wildlife Modifications is a hotly contested issue. We have been following it closely in order to develop a position rooted in our guiding values and representative of our members' trust. The general feedback from BHA Utah membership shows us that there is little consensus - scientific or otherwise - regarding the efficacy of the laws proposed in HB 0295. The principles of fair chase which this bill seeks to preserve are essential to the soul of the ethical hunter. Our board & membership have raised some concerns around the perceived gap between legislative intent and outcomes. These gaps include: 1) overly broad language that could negatively impact the ethical public land hunter, 2) wildlife management decisions occurring outside of DWR’s public input process, 3) additional burdens on an already overtaxed law enforcement community, and 4) BHA Utah’s preference for decisions on these topics to be informed by scientific understanding of biological impact on wildlife. While we are thankful that fair chase principles have been elevated as a necessary discussion in our hunting community, we also acknowledge these real concerns associated with this bill.

Recognizing these concerns and the variety of our membership’s opinions, BHA Utah withholds our support for HB 0295 at this time; in hope that an extended opportunity for engagement with stakeholders will form a more nuanced legislative product that achieves the desired outcomes for all.
Teddy founded B&C. If BHA professes to follow Teddy your position should demonstrate support for fair chase ethic.
OriginalOscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

After reading this, I'm confused.
SaltyWalty likes this.
taxidermist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2021, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Meh. If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound if nobody is around to hear it?
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2021, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I’m confused on what your point is with this
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2021, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Simply put, the UT BHA likes the idea of the bill but feel the language is so vague that misinterpretation may lead to unforeseen consequences.
I for one agree with this statement and their concerns. I feel this bill should not be the rule of law going forward on this issue.

As the argument to define ethical hunting practices rages(as it has for generations), we all struggle with finding a true defining standard for "ethical".

What are the talking points...is "ethical" defined by majority rule or personal opinion or historical dated based practices?

Should we disallow the use of trail cams simply because we personally don't use them or kind of feel there is something unethical about using them or simpy because there was one set up at your favorit honey hole last deer season?

I personally have a definition I try to abide by when in the field, but defining fair chase and regulating it through legislation...the answer will probably take a much better mind than mine.

I urge all hunters to give great thought to the question of "ethical hunting and rules of fair chase" and make every effort to at lease follow your conscience in your day to day hunting practices.
BPturkeys is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2021, 08:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPturkeys View Post
As the argument to define ethical hunting practices rages(as it has for generations), we all struggle with finding a true defining standard for "ethical".
If this bill is about ethics, I'd say Snider is standing on some pretty thin ice.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPturkeys View Post
Simply put, the UT BHA likes the idea of the bill but feel the language is so vague that misinterpretation may lead to unforeseen consequences.
I for one agree with this statement and their concerns. I feel this bill should not be the rule of law going forward on this issue.
Yes, that's my take as well. I was actually in favor of the bill initially because of what I read around outfitters dominating the landscape with bait and cameras (thus, potentially, edging out the DIY hunters). But the more I read about it the more uneasy I felt about legislation being done outside of the standard public process we have set up with DWR.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Even though I think Trail Cams have gotten out of control. I agree with point number 2.

2) wildlife management decisions occurring outside of DWR’s public input process,

Why have RACs and Wildlife Boards if some legislature can bypass the process? Who is behind this? I doubt Snyder came up with this on his own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GCKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

If the wildlife board comes up with this type of a rule it only affects hunters, outfitters quite possibly would be exempt from it like they are from wearing hunter orange.

If the legislature passes it into law it will apply to everyone, including outfitters.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2021, 11:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

You guys can’t forget the legislature gives the Wildlife board every speck of power and authority it possesses. But for legislation, the board doesn’t exist. It is not an independently existing body.

It is 100% in the purview of the legislature to address actions being taken on public lands that involve state resources.
johnnycake likes this.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in