> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,434
Threads: 64,257
Welcome to our newest member, Laneyanderson
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bighorn viewing along the Wasatch

Good morning. New to the forum, but not UT. Gearing up for the UT big game draws, I have enough resident points to draw most of the California bighorn areas, but not enough for the Green River areas. However, I could likely draw the Wasatch areas (West, Nebo). My info gathering for these latter areas so far has suggested small populations and fairly young rams (4-5 year olds). While the sheep may still be on their winter range, I'd like to head down there and see what I can personally see. So, would anyone be willing to let me know some good wintertime viewing locations I can go visit in the next couple of weeks? Thanks in advance.
MontanaMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2021, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Where do you live? How many points do you have? And are you fine with hunting California’s or do you only want the Rockys? I’m familiar with a few of the sheep unit pretty well and have been on a few hunts for them.
Blackie6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Blackie6 - thanks for the quick reply. I am up in the Cache Valley. I have 20 Rocky pts, and the California vs. Rocky debate keeps going back and forth in my mind. I am leaning towards Rockies, maybe partial because I grew up not too far from Montana's Sun River area, where some of the Wasatch transplants had come from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

What is your ultimate goal for your sheep hunt.. kill a ram, kill a record ram, hunt the whole hunt, hunt with family and kids? Your not in the driver seat for a while on some of the units, but a few I think you could draw as you already stated. I know one of the Californian units really well that you could draw. Maybe send me a pm and we can chat.
Blackie6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2021, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've never heard anyone complain after they went on a sheep hunt and killed a ram. Sheep are fragile and permits can change in a year. For example, I'm not sure we will see 13 tags on the Oak Crs many years.

There are 116 people with your number of points or more who applied last year and didn't draw. There are 55 people with your points or more who bought only points last year- overall 170 others who have your points or more. All it takes is one or two guys jumping into a hunt to mess up most sheep units- like the Nebo. And the WasWest is still 4-5 years out from an assured tag if you have 20 points.
I'd try to go hunt somewhere and enjoy the ride. That's just my opinion.
Packout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Listen to Packout...wise words from a wise man. Any sheep tag is to be coveted. Score and whatnot are a distant second...unless ya got like 7 sheep on the wall but then ya wouldn't be askin us lowly plebes, you would be buying a nice (air quotes) 'conservation permit'.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I appreciate the replies so far. And believe me, I have looked at the past numbers and know where I stand statistically. Point creep, folks jumping in and out, and other factors (like the person who applied for Wasatch West with the highest points but didn't draw - I assume a LE elk, deer, or antelope tag came first) all combine to make my point total not necessarily a sure thing. I also know sheep hunting is an adventure where ever it happens. I've been on a few, mine and others, and in a past life did a lot of work with the New Mexico FNAWS (shows how long ago). I just want to make sure I have done all my research, hence, why I asked about winter viewing areas along the Wasatch. Regardless, I do have a little information and may try to drive down next week and see what I can find.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have seen them near the mouth of Rock Canyon in Provo, but it's hit or miss. I'm not sure whether they are in the area at the moment.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Have you hit up the biologist/warden for the area? They should be able to tell you the info you’re looking for...whether winter viewing locations or age classes in the individual units.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yep. I have talked with the biologist and several other folks and the info starting to coalesce. It seems like the Wasatch Central sheep meet be easier to find on their winter range(s) because the Nebo winter kind of up high. I got weathered out today, but maybe I'll get down there next week. Thanks for the comments.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in