» Stats
Members: 14,434
Threads: 64,257
Welcome to our newest member, Laneyanderson
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Buckfinder
  • 1 Post By silentstalker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2021, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Points question

Hey guys, I think this is either my first or second post ever. Weird, cause Iíve been a member for years, and was using the site even before that hahah. Guess Iím finally ready to start posting.
Anyways, got a point question for you guys. So for limited entry deer you get two choices. Letís say on your preferred unit you have a 50% chance of drawing and on your second choice you have and 80% chance. Assume I get unlucky and donít draw my 1st choice. On my second choice do I still have an 80% chance or do my odds go down because I put it as my second choice?
Thanks for the help!
matt14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2021, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

You will never draw your second choice. Unless there are less people that put in than there are tags.
Buckfinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2021, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok that makes sense. I’m guessing that goes for gen season too then? I haven’t been putting in many years but now that you say that, I’ve never drawn anything but my first choice or nothing.
matt14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

General deer is different as they do go through all your choices before they pass you.

LE draws are based on bonus points and general tags are based on preference points.

Bonus points give you more chances to pull a low number in the draw and preference points give you preference over those with less points.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
silentstalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstalker View Post
General deer is different as they do go through all your choices before they pass you.
That's not true. Other applicants first choices will be considered before your second choice. From: https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-permit-drawings.html

Quote:
How preference points work in the general-season drawing: Starting with the highest point level, the drawing looks at the hunter's first choice. If a permit is available for the hunt, the permit is awarded. (In the case of a group application, permits are awarded if there are enough permits for the people in the group.) If permits are not available, the application is skipped, and the first choice of the next person is considered. After all first choices have been considered at that preference point level, the drawing will look at the first choices of hunters at the next-highest preference point level. After all the applicantsí first choices have been considered, the drawing will look at everyoneís second choices. This process continues in the same way for third, fourth and fifth choices. If you draw a general-season buck deer permit ó regardless of whether it was your first, second, third, fourth or fifth choice ó you will lose all your preference points.
brisket is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2021, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisket View Post
That's not true. Other applicants first choices will be considered before your second choice. From: https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-permit-drawings.html

I stand corrected! Thank you. Bout what ya get when you go off memory and your old...
brisket likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
silentstalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in