» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,434
Threads: 64,257
Welcome to our newest member, Laneyanderson
View Poll Results: Will you apply for the January archery bison hunt?
Nope 15 38.46%
No way 2 5.13%
Of course not 2 5.13%
Absolutely not 13 33.33%
Yes 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2021, 04:39 PM   #31 (permalink)

I was out there with a built 4wd in January when my dad had the tag a few years ago. 35's, mud tires, and lockers. There were a couple greasy areas I opted for the chains. More for peace of mind than anything. I was really afraid of sliding off the road into an abyss in some really greasy areas.
ns450f is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns450f View Post
I was out there with a built 4wd in January when my dad had the tag a few years ago. 35's, mud tires, and lockers. There were a couple greasy areas I opted for the chains. More for peace of mind than anything. I was really afraid of sliding off the road into an abyss in some really greasy areas.

No it wasn't but there are so many that the first time that they are on the Henry Mountains is when they finally draw a bison tag. They go out during the summer and figure that since the mountains are in the southern part of Utah that everything will be the same come December and January. I have seen snow deep enough that you wouldn't get more than a mile in on the Notom road not to mention not even thinking of Swap Mesa. You just have to cross your fingers that you can get in. That's where snowmobils and horses come in quite handy but even horses will get bogged down in the heavy drifts.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:07 PM   #33 (permalink)

Like MooseMeat, I'm currently sitting on a pile of mountain goat points and should draw soon allowing me to then start putting in for Bison. However, considering the current backlog of applicants and how long it would take to draw an earlier season any weapon tag, I'd probably be dead or far to old to hunt one by that time anyway. So, given the terrible odds of the other hunts, the fact that I think I'm a capable archer, and that I'm currently in good enough shape to try, I would totally put in for the tag and give it a go. I'd way rather try and fail then sit here on my sofa dreaming about it. I'll take opportunity all day long over success given the horrible odds of ever drawing otherwise.
silentstalker likes this.

Last edited by Wasatch; 02-10-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Wasatch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in