Poll - January archery bison - Page 2 - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,433
Threads: 64,256
Posts: 692,342
Welcome to our newest member, Neboismyhome
View Poll Results: Will you apply for the January archery bison hunt?
Nope 15 38.46%
No way 2 5.13%
Of course not 2 5.13%
Absolutely not 13 33.33%
Yes 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2021, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Critter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Where I Hang My Hat
Posts: 9,234
Default

The problem with most January hunts down there is that you need horses, snowmobiles, ATV's, or a combination of all of them along with real good cold weather boots. Not to mention friends who will help pack a bison out in lousy conditions.

The rifle hunters who hunt the late December hunts usually really earn their bison and I am sure that if any archery hunters take them up on a archery tag that they will have to work twice as hard.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
__________________
If you don't care where you are, you are not lost
Critter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-04-2021, 01:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
The problem with most January hunts down there is that you need horses, snowmobiles, ATV's, or a combination of all of them along with real good cold weather boots. Not to mention friends who will help pack a bison out in lousy conditions.

The rifle hunters who hunt the late December hunts usually really earn their bison and I am sure that if any archery hunters take them up on a archery tag that they will have to work twice as hard.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
A 4x4 and a pair of boots combined with determination and somewhat decent physical shape will get you into bison every day. Getting them out is a different story, but still not impossible solo. I know of a guy who archery killed a cow during the late any weapon hunt and got it out all on his own.
johnnycake likes this.
MooseMeat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2021, 08:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
PBH
Senior Member
 
PBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cedar City, UT
Posts: 3,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMeat View Post
They had the archery hunts earlier in years previous. What they found is it was pressuring the bison off the mountain and into the winter range earlier than they wanted and was causing range and health issues for the land and animals. Which is why they chose to move the hunt until later.

I don't believe this for a second. Are you suggestion that they determined that the range quality and health issues were caused by archery hunters vs. drought? That's laughable.

Remember -- one reason this hunt came about was because the range was already in poor condition, and a lot of tags were given out to attempt to reduce the population size of the bison in order to prevent starvation. The archery hunt did what it was intended to do: give more opportunity and help reduce herd size.

This was changed for 1 simple fact: success rates.

I'm sure that rifle hunters were upset at the high success rates the archery hunt came with, and were upset with it.
__________________
Too many managers manage by what the postgame press conference is going to be.
John Kruk


Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Where I can see those Rocky Mountains
Posts: 6,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBH View Post
Remember -- one reason this hunt came about was because the range was already in poor condition, and a lot of tags were given out to attempt to reduce the population size of the bison in order to prevent starvation. The archery hunt did what it was intended to do: give more opportunity and help reduce herd size.
I don't know that the archery hunt had much intent to reduce herd size. I mean, I guess ANY hunt that is a factor because when you kill an animal, the herd size is technically reduced. But they only killed 15 bison total on the archery hunts in 2019 (see below). I think the late any weapon hunt they put in on an emergency basis was more about reducing the herd and range conditions than the archery only hunt. I think the archery only OIL hunts were simply a nod to a small, yet very vocal and influential subset of hunters wanting their own place to do it their way and have all their own advantages of going first, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBH View Post
This was changed for 1 simple fact: success rates.
There is definitely more than this "1 simple fact" involved in the decision here. The archery hunts were moderately successful.

2019- 78% on hunters choice (7 total animals) and 64% on cow only (8 total animals).

I'm guessing that the herds getting pushed into less desirable areas earlier was a bigger contributing factor than the success rates. Archers in this state have a powerful voice, but there are A LOT more rifle hunters out there, so be careful about waking the sleeping dragon on that one with special interest rule changes, as I've said before.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2021, 09:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,759
Default

The bison hunt was moved because the bison hunting pressure (in the case archery) was moving the animals onto the winter range too early. The drought actually compounds the issue. Believe it or not, that was the recommendation of UDWR biologists.

..
Vanilla, johnnycake and CPAjeff like this.
Packout is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bountiful
Posts: 2,150
Default

Some of us have a choice when it comes to OIL "hail Mary" hunts like this - either settle for the tag or give up any idea of ever hunting bison. So I might go for it. I'm 67 and healthy (knock on wood), but I'm coming to the realization that I'm getting older. A day is coming when I won't be able to hunt animals like bison or big horns or mountain goats...not with my bow, anyway. And my chances of drawing before that day comes are getting slim.

I think senior citizens should just be given any tag we want. We aren't going to kill anything, anyway.
__________________
“To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part.” - Aldo Leopold
Finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
2full's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 1,822
Default

[QUOTE=
I think senior citizens should just be given any tag we want. We aren't going to kill anything, anyway. [/QUOTE]



This made me laugh...…..only because I'm right there with you.
2full is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packout View Post
Believe it or not, that was the recommendation of UDWR biologists.

..
I thought we didn't follow biologist recommendations in this state?
Catherder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBH View Post
I don't believe this for a second. Are you suggestion that they determined that the range quality and health issues were caused by archery hunters vs. drought? That's laughable.

Remember -- one reason this hunt came about was because the range was already in poor condition, and a lot of tags were given out to attempt to reduce the population size of the bison in order to prevent starvation. The archery hunt did what it was intended to do: give more opportunity and help reduce herd size.

This was changed for 1 simple fact: success rates.

I'm sure that rifle hunters were upset at the high success rates the archery hunt came with, and were upset with it.
Go watch the WB meeting from December I think it was, and get back to me on your belief on my statement about the range conditions and pressuring animals on the winter range prematurely. I don’t just make this stuff up.

I’ll wait.
MooseMeat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
PBH
Senior Member
 
PBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cedar City, UT
Posts: 3,877
Default

you guys can make as much sense as you want. I'm still not buying it.

But it's OK. I'll just keep my points and wait until the time is right to get my tag.
Clarq likes this.
__________________
Too many managers manage by what the postgame press conference is going to be.
John Kruk


Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Smilies
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.