Application Process Open for 2 new Wildlife Board Members - Page 3 - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,433
Threads: 64,256
Welcome to our newest member, Neboismyhome
Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2021, 11:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

Oh I have no misgivings about my chances for this, but Im still going to do it. Packout on the other hand, might have some connections. And hed be fantastic!
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2021, 06:43 AM   #22 (permalink)

Whoever applies, (sure wont be me) I hope they have good head on their shoulder and represent the wildlife and not be swayed by any "groups".
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2021, 09:53 AM   #23 (permalink)
BGD

I think it is great that Vanilla is planning on applying. The whole reason I posted this in the first place is I think it is important for us to learn and know about the process, so we know how to make our voices heard and where to direct our input. Does anyone have any connections to anyone on the nominating committee? Can we email the nominating committee with our input and thoughts? How do we ramp up the input to the Governor to let him know our thoughts and frustrations with the current board? I know many will believe there is no way to influence the decision makers and maybe that is true. But if we don’t try, there is a 100% chance we won’t succeed. I am interested to hear from anyone that knows more about this than I do to share their thoughts.
provider likes this.
BGD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2021, 10:36 AM   #24 (permalink)

Historically, an association and recommendation from one organization has been sufficient to get you at least to the governor from the nomination committee. I'm guessing if the committee and the governor received 100 emails expressing displeasure with the perceived bias involved (including the current number of Board members from that one organization) it would have an impact.

And think about if they got 500 emails? And what about 1,000? That sounds like a lot, but think how small of the hunting (let alone fishing that this board makes rules for as well) population that includes.

This really isn't about me. I'm applying for my own desire to be involved in issues in my community that I care about. I'm not interesting in running for public office, but being more involved in wildlife issues and regulation is something I could be very excited about. So, go big or go home, right? The message I'm trying to send here is this: Get involved! Posting on this forum is fun, and it can help us influence those on here and get organized, but posting on this forum is not "being involved." We need to all get involved, whatever it is we care about, get involved.
provider likes this.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2021, 11:39 AM   #25 (permalink)

Pretty sure I know Vanilla personally (pretty sure I know the man behind "Vanilla", but I could be wrong). I'd be willing to send emails, sign petitions, etc. to see if we could get him some"real" consideration. Anyone with me?

Side note, Vanilla, pretty sure you were a little league football coach of mine. But I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CPAjeff likes this.
flyfisher20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2021, 09:30 PM   #26 (permalink)

Vanilla has my vote!

Maybe we can jump on the coattails of the Reddit thread and Gamestop - let's push this thread!
flyfisher20 likes this.
CPAjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2021, 09:49 PM   #27 (permalink)

I only know Vanilla from this forum but it seems to me he would be fantastic for us!
MrShane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2021, 09:51 PM   #28 (permalink)

I have a degree in Forestry and an MBA. I applied some years ago. Crickets. It's my observation that an affiliation with SFW is gold. If someone petitions the governor that we already have enough SFW representation, I'll be more than happy to sign it. The overt SFW hijack of the UDWR needs to stop.
2full likes this.
provider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2021, 06:56 AM   #29 (permalink)

For almost 15 years posters have complained about the DWR and its ties to SFW. But still fail to realize how the system works. Maybe you all should put your money where your mouth is and hire a lobbyist to help get you the “connections” you need to have a chance at having your voice heard. It won’t cost as much as you think it won’t be “back door” it just the way the system works.

Now having said that. You’re chances of being successful are next to none since 90% of folks here are/were predation deniers and would advocate for a statewide OTC 3 season deer hunt with no cap. And then when we had no deer say it was habitat and weather that did it. Ignoring common sense and deferring to the biologist to manage game. You might also give as much consideration to a skunk or raccoon as you do for a species that hunters pay to hunt. This is idealistic and commendable for a wildlife lover but it’s actually an anti hunter mentality. You might advocate for a different allocation of tags in the CWMU program because you think those are your animals or push for stream access on private lands even though there are 100s of miles of stream one can access already. You may also advocate for only cutthroat trout in Utah’s waters except for lakes deemed warm water. Maybe you think wolves have there place here in Utah. I can go on but you all know what your Utopia looks like.

The 6 of you are in a bubble and mentalities here are contrary to what the 200,000 hunters want in Utah. But yet you believe you are fighting for the average joe.

What happens to the UWC anyway? Weren’t they supposed to be the voice of the UWN click?

Carry on.
Vanilla likes this.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2021, 05:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

Cody,

Yes, that is how the system has been working in Utah, but other states have rejected SFW when they have seen the result in Utah - thanks in part to social media like this. Lobbyists were not needed. The lobbyist idea is a good one, but they'd need to be really good at getting operatives on the wildlife board and be able to displace SFW from the expo contract. RMEF couldn't do it working for free. Good luck with that.

Or maybe we can just get a good governor/wildlife board who can see that the exclusive trophy hunting management approach instilled by SFW isn't the only interest that should be addressed. Maybe the governor can just see some benefit from not having SFW operatives in every corner including "non consumptive."
Vanilla and 2full like this.
provider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in