> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,119
Threads: 63,718
Welcome to our newest member, Xseedz
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Space is the bigger issue for me. I've got a garage but it's already filled with various other stuff, including a second fridge. I've thought about trying to empty the fridge during hunting season and filling it with quarters, but alas, the wife is having none of that.

The other component of having access to a legit walk-in, is if on the lucky chance that I could harvest something close to the truck, I could gut it and keep the carcass intact, instead breaking things down in the field.

Maybe it will be cold enough in a few weeks that I can just hang it in the garage for a few days.
NedC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

This year, I'd be more concerned about filling a tag than a place to hang a deer.

Last edited by taxidermist; 10-15-2020 at 12:04 PM.
taxidermist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedC View Post
Space is the bigger issue for me. I've got a garage but it's already filled with various other stuff, including a second fridge. I've thought about trying to empty the fridge during hunting season and filling it with quarters, but alas, the wife is having none of that. The other component of having access to a legit walk-in, is if on the lucky chance that I could harvest something close to the truck, I could gut it and keep the carcass intact, instead breaking things down in the field.
Maybe it will be cold enough in a few weeks that I can just hang it in the garage for a few days.
Sounds like Percheye gave you the exact info you needed. The rest of us gave you the info we thought you needed. haha Best of luck on your hunt.

hunting 777- that is an interesting idea- I've seen them work well and others not work. $400 for the coolbot, $600 for the a/c unit (which can't do it alone) and 200+ for the panels- probably into it $1400 or so when it is done. So it is a decent deal when compared to other walk-ins and if you have the space. For most people I bet a fridge is a better, much cheaper route.
Packout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedC View Post
Space is the bigger issue for me. I've got a garage but it's already filled with various other stuff, including a second fridge. I've thought about trying to empty the fridge during hunting season and filling it with quarters, but alas, the wife is having none of that.

The other component of having access to a legit walk-in, is if on the lucky chance that I could harvest something close to the truck, I could gut it and keep the carcass intact, instead breaking things down in the field.

I learned how to take care of game meat from my dad who was really old school. But what do you expect for someone who was born 108 years ago?

He would leave the skin on a deer and hang it in the garage wrapped in a blanket during the day. Then at night when things cooled off enough he would go out and unwrap it. Then the next morning before it started to warm up he would go out and wrap it back up..

He would age deer meat for over a month doing it this way, hot or cold it didn't matter. I will do a lot the same way but I will remove the hide but I have had a deer hanging in the garage for a month before I started to cut it up.

Dad would always say that it wasn't good until mold started to grow on the inside of the ribs. He also never wasted a piece of game meat, he felt it was that important to take care of it all.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
weaver, how did you reinforce those hooks so they could hold the weight?
It has a plate across top with eye bolts. We have a few different length hooks and can stagger the quarters from a couple deer and still have room for them not to touch.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
weaversamuel76 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2020, 05:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by percheye View Post
I saw a post on FB for a walk in cooler rental. It is located in Herriman, $10 a day or $50 for a week. Rules: no hair on animal and all animals must be tagged. Guys name is Dan 801-554-6411.
The Coolbot and window AC (must have digital control) will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $700. Materials to build your own walk in will be somewhere around $1000 all said and done. At $50 per week, it would take you 10 years to spend the same amount for a two week hang, or 20 if you only let hang for one week.

I just converted a small storage room in my shop into a small walk in cooler, will work great for late fall/winter hunts as it will regulate whatever temp it needs to be when its cold outside. Late summer and early fall is a different story, I may need to go the Coolbot and window AC route next year.

The thing about investing the coin in your own small walk in is making sure you plan on staying put for a few years...
High Desert Elk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaversamuel76 View Post
It has a plate across top with eye bolts. We have a few different length hooks and can stagger the quarters from a couple deer and still have room for them not to touch.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Very important not to be touching
unless you like green slick meat

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in