> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,240
Threads: 63,923
Welcome to our newest member, Hubby20
Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2020, 10:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

Wanted to give you all an update since you were generous in giving me some tips.

We have seen over fifty deer in the last three days but only 3 bucks. A spike, a small forkie and a decent 3 point that did not present a shot.

We spent opening day driving around more than anything. Trying to get a lay of the land and find areas that we wanted to focus on. Boots on the ground the last 2 days .

One good note is every doe we see has at least one but more regular twin fawns in tow. Looks like recruitment is well.

Majority of the deer we have found are between 8000-9000 feet but did see a couple up to the 10,000 mark.

This weather, I do not believe is helping in finding deer. Getting to mid seventies everyday with bluebird weather.

Biggest lesson I have learned so far is we should have brought quads or a side by side. It is not a way we generally hunt at home but it seems 90% of the hunters have them here and I can understand why. I feel we are at a huge disadvantage not being able to get to a lot of country due to just having the truck.

Yesterday right at sunset we decided to take a road that looked as though it was going to drop us down to the highway. We should have turned around once the road became a creek bed but decided to keep going as we were only a mile from a main road. That was a bad choice. Took us over 2 hours to travel 3/4 miles when the road dissapeared and we had to climb our way back out. We got back to base camp at midnight. Crazy the damage left by the flash floods here.

We're going to keep giving it our all and hopefully get a chance !

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
PBH, Catherder, johnnycake and 1 others like this.
Joby8103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2020, 11:07 PM   #22 (permalink)

I'm sending you a PM
Old 10-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #23 (permalink)

Well my Step-dad and Father in law were able to double up yesterday mid morning. We were making a push through a manzanita patch, spread about 200 yards apart. I was on the left. Father in law in middle and step- dad on right. About half way down the hill we jumped a little herd that had 6 does, a bunch of fawns and 3 small bucks. My father in law was able to get one of the bucks when the herd pushed over to my step dad and he was able to take another buck!

Nothing huge by any means but I am happy we have been able to fill some tags! Hunting has not been easy to find bucks. At this point I believe we are at 6 for the trip.

One more tag to go .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Joby8103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Congrats!
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2020, 10:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Good job and congrats

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in