> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,129
Threads: 63,741
Welcome to our newest member, jhovatter
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best LE Pronghorn for Trophies

I'm an elk hunter, I have only ever shot two deer in my life and that was a lifetime ago... My son is 12 and just started hunting this year. He has decided he wants to start building preference points for a trophy pronghorn... As I have NEVER paid attention to these things, I am throwing the question out to the community.... Which Rifle Buck Pronghorn Unit produces the most monsters?
EmmTee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2020, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Start looking at Wyoming.

Utah is a endless point chase. There are good pronghorn in all the units but finding that 80 inch one is where the real work begins.

Just one area I would look hard at the San Rafael North unit but that is just me.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Most units can produce trophy antelope. San Rafael North is a great one but it takes quite a few points to draw. But maybe he will get lucky and draw in the random draw before he gets to max.
Buckfinder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2020, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Texas or NM.

-DallanC
johnnycake and OriginalOscar like this.
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2020, 05:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Looks like I wont be drawing a LE speed goat tag next year now. Everyone will be applying for the same unit.

I'm with Dallan on Texas, NM! Monsters out there and at a reasonable cost for a guided private land hunt. Wherever your hunting goats, just be proficient at placing 4 rounds of projectiles in a 3" circle at 400yds.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2020, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the feedback!

He's only 12 and this is his first year hunting. We looked at a lot of the tags and most seem to take 8-10 before a "guarantee" so he is looking at buying the preference points until he is ready. If it takes 8 years, that's not a total wash.... He's also going to start buying points for some of the other tags, just so he has a chance before he's in his 60's.....
Old 10-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just me, but if you actually want to hunt with him for pronghorn BEFORE he leaves the roost, you're either buying a hunt or hunting a middle of the road unit somewhere. Not a bad thing as Critter is right - you can find a "trophy" speed goat on most units, but like everything else, it will take lots if time to sort thru animals before he finds the right one.

If he's 12 and this is his first year hunting, start by applying in WY and MT for doe goats. He will get to experience antelope hunting every couple years at a fraction of the cost...like $33 per animal In WY, and you can get 2 permits. Next, build points in UT, WY, and MT. You can draw decent buck tags with 5-7 points if you do your homework. If you're swinging for the fences, add in NM and AZ. NM is tough - only 6% go to NR without a guide in a complete random scenario. AZ is home to superb goats but will take 20+ to draw a premo rifle tag, so you won't be hunting with him until he is in his early 30s! Maybe there are some youth opportunities there, but my hunch is they are limited at best.

Good luck with him. Antelope are a great animal for new hunters. Don't sit around waiting for the BEST tag. Get hin out and hunting sooner than later with doe tags and middle-tier units for bucks. You won't regret it!
johnnycake likes this.

Last edited by MWScott72; 10-11-2020 at 07:12 AM.
MWScott72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wyoming is where you want to be looking at. Like others have mentioned, you'll be chasing goats way sooner (and more often) than waiting to draw a tag in UT.
johnnycake likes this.
waspocrew is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWScott72 View Post
Just me, but if you actually want to hunt with him for pronghorn BEFORE he leaves the roost,
This is one of those "Just as happy to be scout, packer, helper" rather than any real desire to shoot one... This is entirely his deal and I am just along for the ride

His grandpa lives and hunts them in Wyoming, going after doe up there might not be a bad idea.... I will look into it!
Old 10-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Doesn't matter what LE units produce quality 'lope if you're just building bonus points right now (assuming you mean UT units). Wyoming is where I'd focus as there are more opportunities to go out and shoot a decent buck. Most beginning youth hunters are happy as can be with a 70" pronghorn buck.
High Desert Elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in