Utah Wildlife Network

Utah Wildlife Network (https://utahwildlife.net/forum/)
-   Big game (https://utahwildlife.net/forum/12-big-game/)
-   -   She’s getting pretty good! (https://utahwildlife.net/forum/12-big-game/203707-she-s-getting-pretty-good.html)

3arabians 10-09-2020 05:46 PM

155 Attachment(s)
Headed out yesterday morning for my daughter’s early rifle buck tag. She also had an antlerless deer tag. We were hoping for her first buck with antlers (she shot a button buck for her first deer on an antlerless tag a couple years ago). Last year she struggled with my old mossberg 308 with open sights as it was a little too much gun for her so her grandpa bought her a 243 savage axis for Xmas and she absolutely loves the gun and shoots it well so we were feeling confident as we jumped in my truck yesterday morning. We got into position about 30 minutes before light. As shooting light arrived deer starting moving all around us. It didn’t take long and we found a group of 5 does with a 2 point. She took careful aim, I heard her take a deep breath and watched the impact through my binos as the buck hunched up and stumbled into the oaks. “You got him, nice shot beanie bear!!” We both jumped for joy hugs and high fives ahoy for about 5 minutes. We called mom to give the good news when after 10 minutes I noticed a doe wander out of the oaks in the same spot like nothing happened. I watched the doe in bewilderment for few minutes when it dawned on me that she still had a doe tag. I said - look at the doe just standing there in the same spot you shot your buck wanna shoot her too? Sure dad! Ok just do the same thing. Wack!! She kicked hard and bolted off. You got her!!! Haha! More hugs and stuff another call to mom and we gave it about 10 minutes before hiking up the hill. I expected to find 2 dead deer not far away from the point of impact but I couldn’t find anything. I’m partially color blind so spotting blood initially is challenging for me. I hiked around for 30 minutes and couldn’t find a dead deer or any blood. I was standing there confused and worried when Justyce says “daddy I found some blood”. Thank god! Ok great stay right there, don’t move! Haha. Sure enough she found the blood. I don’t like blood trailing, I find it very stressful but this one was a blast. I let her take the lead and followed along verifying her path. I had to take over a couple times when it got to thick and thorny for her but other than that she led us to them. We found both about 20 yards apart down in the gully next to where she shot em about 150 yards away. Took me a couple hours to gut and drag both down the thick oak and thorn filled gully to the two track the wheeler was on.
She is getting pretty good for a 14 year old. A little too good it feels like for me today. I told her last night. Let’s not have you shoot 2 at the same time ever again.

Pink and purple savage axis with 3x9 weaver scope spitting 80 grains of 243. 😁

utahbigbull 10-09-2020 06:04 PM

That’s getting it done right there buddy!! Congrats to the young lady and you!!

2full 10-09-2020 06:07 PM

That picture of her with both deer is great !!

super chicken 10-09-2020 06:30 PM

Dont be a bag hum bug, let her shoot all the tags at the same time. As we can all see by the smile on her face she is very happy. Good job on mentoring your daughter

3arabians 10-09-2020 06:38 PM

149 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by super chicken (Post 2199937)
Dont be a bag hum bug, let her shoot all the tags at the same time. As we can all see by the smile on her face she is very happy. Good job on mentoring your daughter

Oh it was totally a joke. We had a good laugh as she watched me hobble into the truck after I loaded the second deer. It hurt so good.

TheHunted 10-09-2020 06:43 PM

Yeah buddy! Can’t wait until my kids are old enough to hunt. Looks like a blast!

Wire 10-09-2020 08:09 PM

The smiles says it all. Congrats to her for filling both tags. I'm sure she'll never forget it.

gander311 10-09-2020 08:13 PM

Awesome!

My 14 year old daughter has her first tag, a CWMU cow elk hunt that starts next week. She’ll also be hunting with a Savage Axis youth rifle. I’m hoping for similar success and smiles.

Thanks for sharing.

3arabians 10-09-2020 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot the as he lay pic.

3arabians 10-09-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utahbigbull (Post 2199931)
That’s getting it done right there buddy!! Congrats to the young lady and you!!

Thanks man! I’m super proud of her! It’s so much fun raising your own to love the hunt like you do. Best day of deer hunting I’ve ever had by far.