> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,984
Threads: 63,530
Welcome to our newest member, RedArcher99
Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2020, 11:03 PM   #41 (permalink)

And if you think I am a nutcase about wanting a VERY short ML season during the rut, please remember I am the guy who wants a deer area as two points or less restriction to try as an experiment....
If we don’t do something fast to police ourselves/seasons to try to get what we want, some people with very deep pockets are going to do it for us, especially with the fiasco this year with elk tags.
shaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2020, 11:24 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnbulls08 View Post
High powered rifle LE Elk hunts should never be held during the elk rut. Archery or muzzleloader should be during the rut or share the rut. Why does the most effective and longest shooting weapon be allowed when the elk are the most vulnerable?
Politics and money! There is no sound biological reasoning.
Yeah, people say that until they are sitting on 18 elk points with the expectation of a world class rifle elk rut hunt on the horizon because thatís the way the season has been for thirty years.

The whole Ďno sound biological reasoní argument doesnít hold water. Biologists say take X number of animals off the land for X carrying capacity goal. How we do that doesnít matter as long as they are killed. Utah has chosen to give itís LE elk hunters a truly unique and rare experience. You can argue itís big money or whatever but by and large the vast majority of Utah hunters hunting elk in the rut with a rifle have drawn the tag and are not big money folks. They are regular folks! Tag numbers proof this out.

Basically we have a limited resource and you have an opinion that the way we cut it up should be different. Well you are fighting against years of expectations and tradition so that your favorite weapon gets favored. Thatís fine but donít bring biology or shadows of big money because those are easy to disprove. You could argue more tags for the same harvest but that could diminish the experience of folks who have waited many years for what others have had ahead of them. Itís all interesting to talk about but I would continue to argue for the status quo as switching around who gets preference just makes another party upset and here we are again for what?
elkfromabove, 300 Wby and Vanilla like this.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2020, 11:28 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner View Post
If we donít do something fast to police ourselves/seasons to try to get what we want, some people with very deep pockets are going to do it for us, especially with the fiasco this year with elk tags.
What are you talking about specifically? I donít understand how changing the seasons is going to stop some deep pocket threat or demand for elk tags. Did I miss out on some fun new conspiracy theory in the Utah hunting world? Am sincerely curious but please just the verifiable facts good sir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnbulls08 View Post
High powered rifle LE Elk hunts should never be held during the elk rut. Archery or muzzleloader should be during the rut or share the rut. Why does the most effective and longest shooting weapon be allowed when the elk are the most vulnerable?
Politics and money! There is no sound biological reasoning.
Hate to break it to you but the muzzle loader hunt now is just a high power single shot rifle hunt. The archery hunt is getting there with shots being taken at 100 yards+.

My Utah legal muzzle loader is just as effective as any of my rifles out to 300 yards.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:31 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
The reason I suggest the muzzleloader season be so short is that is THE ONLY way it could ever be possibly moved back to September, where it BELONGS, in between the archery and rifle hunt.
Itís in September now, and much longer than 4 days. Having helped out on a couple LE ML elk hunts in the past, I think itís fine where itís at. These were awesome hunts!
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2020, 08:09 AM   #46 (permalink)

Sorry Vanilla, I should have specified I meant GS Elk ML.
Leave the LE Elk ML where it is with as many days as it is, all those folks with points deserve it.
Vanilla likes this.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:20 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry Vanilla, I should have specified I meant GS Elk ML.
Leave the LE Elk ML where it is with as many days as it is, all those folks with points deserve it.
That makes much more sense. I was really confused, but can see what youíre saying now.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2020, 08:33 AM   #48 (permalink)

Airborne, conspiracy theory? I must have missed something also?
Our season framework is set by design, not just thrown out nilly-willy.
Historically, rules have always been made by those with the most money, land, political favor, etc.
Do you believe that in the early 90’s a bunch of city folk were making the rules and said
“Hmmm, let’s design a system to grow trophy bulls, get it to a point to charge $15-20,000 dollars a tag, and hunt them on my quarter acre lot.”?
Old 09-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Airborne, conspiracy theory? I must have missed something also?
Our season framework is set by design, not just thrown out nilly-willy.
Historically, rules have always been made by those with the most money, land, political favor, etc.
Do you believe that in the early 90ís a bunch of city folk were making the rules and said
ďHmmm, letís design a system to grow trophy bulls, get it to a point to charge $15-20,000 dollars a tag, and hunt them on my quarter acre lot.Ē?
Go read what you wrote--you said if we don't so something fast about season dates something bad will happen. I want to know what and how. I also don't get the quarter acre lot thing--are you referring to CWMU's or something? Those have to be thousands of acres. Can you cut down the hyperbole a bit and explain in clear terms what real threats we have to our hunting because of our season dates?

I understand how money and power are influential but if the majority of the hunting community was against the current dates they would change. The vast majority of our tags are filled by normal folks through the draw. Utahn's have become accustom to their LE rifle rut hunts and people covet those tags and enjoy that opportunity.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #50 (permalink)

To the point of no sound biology...
reality is you can move hunts to any part of the season based upon science as long as they adjust tags and hunt timeframe for the range of predicted success rates. Other than that it's mostly meeting the subjective demands by us hunters.

So close big game hunts until the new year and allow us upland hunters to pursue our quarry in peace. Big game hunters can easily get their game in the middle of winter. Hunting elk above 0F, winds below 40 mph, less than crotch deep snow and without the need for mickey mouse boots is clearly cheating.
backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in