»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,975
Threads: 63,518
Welcome to our newest member, fhnfsgbncvgg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vernal/ South Slope/ Bonanza Deer Questions

This is only my 2nd year hunting, so I still have nothing really figured out.
I have a couple questions.
I was up scouting around state high way 191, and also the whiterocks river are in the northern part of the unit. I was surprised how heavily wooded it was, mostly seemed like pine trees. Do deer like to be around that type of habitat? I thought they were more into aspen stands and sagebrush country?

Any idea how deer move through that unit? Im hunting general rifle season so October 17-35. Will they be moving down from the high elevation areas like I just mentioned and pushing into sage brush country? I camped Friday night and it got into the mid 30s, can you expect those types of temps to push them down?

I've been looking at the suggested areas from the Hunt planner and the several areas and they're so thick I feel like it would be impossible to glass.
I want to check out the far eastern part of the unit, by diamond gulch. Seems like glassing will be much more effective there.

If you got any other tips I appreciate it, and thanks for the feedback.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know that area but I would imagine the deer will be moving or have already moved down by the time you hunt gets here. The deer will be where you can find them. I would think the more open country that you can glass sounds like a good option. I would also try to call the biologist in the area and see what they can tell you. A lot will change between now and the hunt with weather and the pressure from the muzzy hunt. Good luck, hopefully you find a good one.
Raptorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2020, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorman View Post
I don't know that area but I would imagine the deer will be moving or have already moved down by the time you hunt gets here. The deer will be where you can find them. I would think the more open country that you can glass sounds like a good option. I would also try to call the biologist in the area and see what they can tell you. A lot will change between now and the hunt with weather and the pressure from the muzzy hunt. Good luck, hopefully you find a good one.
I called the biologist, I was told the hunt planner has the best information and she didnt know any where better. Im sure the biologist has been getting a ton of calls just like mine and was over it.

Thanks for the advice, I think my best bet is to get out to the unit a couple more times before the season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

There will be deer from top to bottom of that hunt. That being said if I had a rifle deer tag in my pocket, I would be hunting Taylor mountain especially around grasshopper flat. I also like around the colton ranger station and east of there. Lots of roads and country to cover for sure.
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

@Seven, thanks for the feedback. I was speaking to someone who used to live out there and they the unit gets road hunted pretty hard so I want to try and not do that, but your right there seems to be a ton of roads to cover in the unit

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in