Zion Deer Unit (Early Rifle) - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,986
Threads: 63,540
Posts: 683,065
Welcome to our newest member, AlexAuba
Like Tree8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Default Zion Deer Unit (Early Rifle)

Hey all,

Running into some frustration in planning my early rifle hunt (Oct 7-11).

Any of you familiar with the Zion unit? The public land/private land ratio isn't the greatest, especially in the summer range, which is where I expect them to be even in early October.

Any idea when these deer start to move down from the high country around Navajo Lake?
kswenso2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-09-2020, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 201
Default

Last week
PBH and kswenso2 like this.
ns450f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grantsville
Posts: 4,794
Default

The deer will be moving down in early October. If you sit on a migration route, you'll do just fine.
kswenso2 likes this.
__________________
see my latest wildlife pictures on I.G.
Follow me @ antler_chaser_
ridgetop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-10-2020, 06:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grantsville
Posts: 4,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswenso2 View Post
Hey all,

Running into some frustration in planning my early rifle hunt (Oct 7-11).

Any of you familiar with the Zion unit? The public land/private land ratio isn't the greatest, especially in the summer range, which is where I expect them to be even in early October.

Any idea when these deer start to move down from the high country around Navajo Lake?

Crazy but I think I'll take the "Moosemeat" approach on this one.


Why are you so frustrated?
How many years have you hunted the Zion unit?
How much scouting have you done this year?
__________________
see my latest wildlife pictures on I.G.
Follow me @ antler_chaser_
ridgetop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bowgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: out hunt-un or fish-un
Posts: 3,564
Default

Great first post.

My father always told me that the deer are where you find them.

But one tip I have considering the area you asked about and since I have had a cabin in the area for many years is that when they decide to move they move. I will see them all over the area one day and the next day they are gone, it's like they all get together one night and leave all at the same time.
__________________
Don't interfere with somethin' that aint botherin' ya none.

Sometimes bravery has been considered stupidity, but never has stupidity been considered bravery.
bowgy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgetop View Post
Crazy but I think I'll take the "Moosemeat" approach on this one.


Why are you so frustrated?
How many years have you hunted the Zion unit?
How much scouting have you done this year?
He’s frustrated because he’s done ZERO research prior to applying for the tag, and now that he’s got it, he’s realizing that he’s screwed unless he wants to put in a ton of effort and research, which I’m sure he doesn’t want to do, so now he wants someone to just give him free info so he doesn’t have to do it himself...


Just a guess.
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMeat View Post
He’s frustrated because he’s done ZERO research prior to applying for the tag, and now that he’s got it, he’s realizing that he’s screwed unless he wants to put in a ton of effort and research, which I’m sure he doesn’t want to do, so now he wants someone to just give him free info so he doesn’t have to do it himself...


Just a guess.
I know the area very well, visit yearly. Wasn't aware of the fact that most public land in the unit is non-contiguous. If you read the post you'll see my only question was when do the deer start moving from high to low, not asking for a honey hole here. I've also contacted the DWR, locals in the area on top of driving down and searching for accessible public land.

Thanks for your reply
kswenso2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswenso2 View Post
I know the area very well, visit yearly. Wasn't aware of the fact that most public land in the unit is non-contiguous. If you read the post you'll see my only question was when do the deer start moving from high to low, not asking for a honey hole here. I've also contacted the DWR, locals in the area on top of driving down and searching for accessible public land.

Thanks for your reply
Funny, nosy guys who “know the area very well”, also are aware of the public/private land scenario of the area.

Visiting zions national park once a year with the family doesn’t count.
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMeat View Post
Funny, nosy guys who “know the area very well”, also are aware of the public/private land scenario of the area.

Visiting zions national park once a year with the family doesn’t count.
Funny, guy who sits behind his keyboard slinging insults at new forum members.
kswenso2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Default

Also thank you all for your replies!
Sounds like the migration route is the way to go. I'll dig more in the maps and find where I can access some BLM.
kswenso2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Smilies
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.