> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,986
Threads: 63,542
Welcome to our newest member, AlexAuba
Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Elk Archery Cow

I'm throwing this out to see how other hunters feel.

I know of three Hunters that drew Cow Elk tags for a late season unit. They are hunting Archery Deer and Elk with GS tags in hand. All three shot Cows on the GS archery to fill there GS Archery Elk tags.

Now, this is my thought on the situation..... I think it is wrong to take a cow and not a Bull on the GS hunt. (when you have drawn a Cow tag) Sure, it's a hunters choice hunt and its that individuals decision.

To limit the number of Cows taken and control the herd the DWR has the Antlerless draw. So why is the DWR giving precedence to the Archery Elk hunters?

I was an avid archery hunter in my twenty's to mid forty's. I NEVER shot at or killed a Cow during the hunt. I've harvested spike bulls about every other year during that time. IMO, any archer with some competence can kill a Cow. It's like sitting ducks.

I'd like to see the Elk Archery hunt Bull only and have a draw for XX amount of Cow tags for Archers. Similar to what it was 20 years ago for the Muzzleloader hunt. The DWR offered 1000 tags for Cow Elk ML.

So BOBMS AWAY now and tell me how I'm trying to change the hunts, etc. I know there are some forum members that feel as I do.
cedar likes this.

Last edited by taxidermist; 09-07-2020 at 05:05 PM.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

The name of the game is population control. There were not enough cows getting killed so they instituted being able to fill a cow tag during any hunt you have a tag for. They absolutely want those cow tags filled. More opportunity equals more success.

DH and Youth Any weapon Deer Tag holders can fill a cow tag on the archery,muzzle loader deer, Any weapon deer and the general elk hunt. They want them dead!
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2020, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Omg ffs....

The powers that be have determined the herd can sustain unlimited archery tags with minimal success and not hurt populations. You know of 3 cows that have been killed. I know piles of people who never even saw a cow they could kill during the hunt. The sky is not falling, the world is not ending. If you don’t agree with killing cows, fine. Don’t shoot one. But don’t take opportunity from others for you own selfish reasons. If you can draw a cow tag AND kill a cow on your general tag in the same year, good for you! And in case you haven’t noticed, most bowhunters are half retarded anyways. No way are most guys going to find success consistently year after year. 10% kills the 90%. That number doesn’t warrant taking opportunity from everyone else because YOU want that. I’d bet most archery elk hunters would be very opposed to limiting their options to only spikes. Every bowhunter in my family and friends would definitely be against it.

QUIT ADVOCATING FOR TAKING AWAY OUR RIGHTS AS HUNTERS. THAT IS OUR BIGGEST ENEMY. NOT DECLINING HUNTER NUMBERS
MooseMeat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

QUIT ADVOCATING FOR TAKING AWAY OUR RIGHTS AS HUNTERS. THAT IS OUR BIGGEST ENEMY. NOT DECLINING HUNTER NUMBERS

I knew you would chime in and advocate I'm being selfish and trying to take away opportunity from hunters. When in reality, I'm NOT.

The DWR offers the opportunity to harvest a cow to archery hunters (IMO) to sell more tags to get more $$. Unlimited tag numbers prove that. Ya the success rate is low for Archers, I get it, been there, done it.

You stated that the DWR wants the cows dead. So, if that's the case, why not add those cow numbers to the rifle hunters during the Antlerless draw??? Higher success rate, and a higher chance of the DWR reaching the harvest goals. Seems real simple to me.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2020, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidermist View Post

I knew you would chime in and advocate I'm being selfish and trying to take away opportunity from hunters. When in reality, I'm NOT.

The DWR offers the opportunity to harvest a cow to archery hunters (IMO) to sell more tags to get more $$. Unlimited tag numbers prove that. Ya the success rate is low for Archers, I get it, been there, done it.

You stated that the DWR wants the cows dead. So, if that's the case, why not add those cow numbers to the rifle hunters during the Antlerless draw??? Higher success rate, and a higher chance of the DWR reaching the harvest goals. Seems real simple to me.
They did. You just have to pay $30 and hunt where they want you to.
TPrawitt91 likes this.
APD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you limit archery tags to bull only, you would have a kill rate of less than 5%, especially in UT where general season opportunities are so limited to shoot a bull and worse yet when it is limited to a spike only in most areas.

I've hunted UT off and on over the years with archery tackle and have never had the opportunity to shoot a spike but have taken cows nearly every time.

I disagree with the practice of having multiple antlerless tags and multiple abilities to fill one tag.

As for the statement of 90% of elk being killed by 10% of hunters, does that mean the remaining 10% are killed by 90% of the hunters?
High Desert Elk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2020, 07:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

The DWR works off statistics and models. Their models show that they can offer unlimited archery opportunity for cows and it doesn’t upset the balance they are trying to achieve. If they were to issue unlimited rifle tags it wouldn’t work due to the better efficiencies of that weapon. It’s all a statistics game. They know the general success odds from past years and averages, and that’s why the elk herd can, in general, sustain unlimited opportunity on cows presently.
silentstalker likes this.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert Elk View Post

As for the statement of 90% of elk being killed by 10% of hunters, does that mean the remaining 10% are killed by 90% of the hunters?
We all know this is “generally” a true statement. You have those guys/gals that are consistently successful year after year, and then you have everyone else that wanders around in the woods hoping they get lucky. Sure, it’s an over generalization, but not by much!
High Desert Elk likes this.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

If shooting a cow on the archery hunt is like shooting sitting ducks, please send me the GPS coordinates so I can go fill my freezer with some elk meat before my spike/any bull/cow permit expires in a couple of days.

I would prefer to shoot a spike of course, but I have not drawn an elk tag of any sort in at least 4 years and would love to obtain the meat for my family.

I do not agree with having every tag ever allotted in its own separate draw. We have enough draws as it is.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

I shot a cow...but I've never shot sitting ducks 🤔
olibooger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in