> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,986
Threads: 63,542
Welcome to our newest member, AlexAuba
Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Haha cows are pretty hard to get close to as well. Typically they are in groups with lots of eyes, ears, and noses to catch you with. Getting in front of them can be an easy way to get close but takes a little luck to be in the right place at the right time. Then there is sitting a blind/tree over water which can be effective. But seeing a cow and stalking in on her is no easier than other animals
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olibooger View Post
I shot a cow...but I've never shot sitting ducks 🤔
Your not hunting the correct pond. OK, sitting ducks was the wrong term to use. Where I hunted archery elk, I had the opportunity to let an arrow loose multiple times during the season on cow elk.

I like what's being brought up on the topic! some I rely didn't consider. Keep it coming.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

This opportunity for archery hunters doesn't bother me. If it got to the point where too many cows were being killed and it was negatively impacting the herds and therefore the other weapon draws, I might revisit my opinion. I just don't think the population is being negatively impacted by this rule, so I'm okay with it to give archery hunters an advantage.

I will tell you what DOES bother me though...knowing all the handouts archery hunters get in the rules and they still complain. But that is a topic for another day...
MWScott72 likes this.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
They did. You just have to pay $30 and hunt where they want you to.
Not sure what your referring to when you typed They did. We have had a shortage of anterless tags with any weapon for a few years now. Taking in some cases 5 years to draw. I used to plan on drawing every other year.

Like taxidermist said I think it is a money maker for the division. They get money from the archers and extra money from people not drawing tags.

Heck I have hunted archery elk that last 2 years because of it. I suck bow hunting and I killed a Cow
Brookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
Not sure what your referring to when you typed They did. We have had a shortage of anterless tags with any weapon for a few years now. Taking in some cases 5 years to draw. I used to plan on drawing every other year.
This is true, but I do not believe the unlimited archery tags being able to be used for bull or cow is the cause of it.

This rule has me considering picking up a bow myself. Having to wait 4-6 years to hunt a Manti cow elk tag is pretty ridiculous, for sure!
KineKilla likes this.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

This is an interesting topic. I like to look at numbers so a quick break down is that:
-Archery overall success rate is around 12-15% (includes antlerless)
-Archers shoot between 650-750 antlerless elk a year.
-Archery harvest ratio is approx 50/50 - bulls to antlerless
-Many spike units have a ratio of 2 or so antlerless killed for every spike bull killed. (While Any Bull units have a 3 or 4 bulls to 1 antlerless kill rate)
-Antlerless draw hunt success usually hovers in the 50% range.

So if the UDWR wanted to kill those 700 antlerless elk thru antlerless draw opportunities they could issue approx 1,400 more antlerless elk tags. Which is a 15-20% increase in draw permits each year.

But doing that would decrease archery success rates by half to about 6-7% success.

So yes- archers do impact the herds and they do impact the number of antlerless draw permits which are available. But is that a problem worthy of revamping the system and reducing archery success rates to mid single digits?
Vanilla and MWScott72 like this.
Packout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookie View Post

Like taxidermist said I think it is a money maker for the division. They get money from the archers and extra money from people not drawing tags.

Heck I have hunted archery elk that last 2 years because of it. I suck bow hunting and I killed a Cow
They refers to the DWR. They (the DWR) issue $30 "control" elk permits that can be bought and the permit allows you to kill a cow in one of, I think, 11 "control" units where the elk population is over objective. You have to have a valid bull permit for the same area to get the control permit. There are other considerations too, but this is basically how it works. If I forgot something, don't crucify me here...just going off of memory from a couple years back.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:32 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWScott72 View Post
They refers to the DWR. They (the DWR) issue $30 "control" elk permits that can be bought and the permit allows you to kill a cow in one of, I think, 11 "control" units where the elk population is over objective. You have to have a valid bull permit for the same area to get the control permit. There are other considerations too, but this is basically how it works. If I forgot something, don't crucify me here...just going off of memory from a couple years back.
Ya!! They (DWR) did this on the Wasatch Unit and after a couple years it was harder than ever to see an Elk. If the DWR wants a unit harvested, offer the tags to the Antlerless draw. Packout gave the odds of success with any weapon seasons. Again.....I think it comes down to the $$$$ the State can get.

Last edited by taxidermist; 09-09-2020 at 04:34 AM.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2020, 06:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidermist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWScott72 View Post
Ya!! They (DWR) did this on the Wasatch Unit and after a couple years it was harder than ever to see an Elk. If the DWR wants a unit harvested, offer the tags to the Antlerless draw. Packout gave the odds of success with any weapon seasons. Again.....I think it comes down to the $$$$ the State can get.
Did they offer control tags on the Wasatch? I seem to remember that they issued more tags in the antlerless drawing over several years and that was what tanked it. I don't remember it being the control tags.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

Yes, there were control tags on the Wasatch at one point.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in