> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,117
Threads: 63,706
Welcome to our newest member, [email protected]
Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2020, 03:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtockstein View Post
The elk I've been able to spot on Google Earth deep in the Uintas seem to be in these areas.
I really don't have much in advice, but I would like to know what preferences you had set up to spot elk on Google Earth!

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
How did you spot elk on Google Earth?

And if you did spot some did you even look at the date that the image was taken?

A 10 mile hump with a elk on your back is quite a feat.
A lot of time and logic haha. I started looking in an area where I knew there is a lot of them so I could figure out what they look like in satellite images. If you see some, you'll know they are elk and they are pretty easy to spot. I can't find date stamps on me images. Supposedly you can get that information, but I haven't figured out a way to do it. I just go with what months it may likely be based on the color of the vegetation and any snow or lack thereof in the image. I can't really say whether it's helpful or not, but it is really cool to be able to find them and think... Wow a satellite in orbit is doing some scouting for me 😂

I honestly haven't found much benefit to "e-scouting" other than being able to find groups of Aspen's or Meadows that I might want to check out on foot.... Google Earth and real life rarely seem to match up very well.
rtockstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2020, 04:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
Quote:
Yes, shot a 4x5 last year during archery. I remember you posting a pic last year of some antlers that looked like they were cut off a long dead bull, cut above the bases even, I assumed you found a deadhead and started sawing--my apologies--that wasn't the usual kill shot photo so forgive we I realize 10 miles is a long way. I'm prepared for that. lotta guys say that but if ya do the math it's pretty much delta force type effort to make that happen solo and not ruin meat--maybe that's you--I don't know but lot's of internet bad boys out there so again forgive me

I'm NOT asking for anyone's spots. ya kinda are--a little! I know better than that. I've worked **** hard to learn the area I've been hunting in, and I won't tell anyone where that is. If I killed an archery bull on the general hunt I would already know where I'm hunting and wouldn't even think about any other area! I'm only asking for general thoughts about the various drainages or things to be aware of with them. I've not been up them during rifle season, so I don't know which ones would hold a lot of hunters, which ones have outfitters, etc.they will all have hunters in them, no one can predict the amount but you will probably have company--again, if ya have a great area like ya do then you are set--you have it figured out and folks should be asking you where to go!
responses in red
Yea... My photo from last year was pretty bad. I was by myself and it was dark so my first thought was getting the thing cut up and packed out ASAP. I couldn't get my knife in the right spot to get the head off and didn't have a saw.... So I just transported one of the testicles back and forth with me while packing. I luckily ran into someone the next morning who let me borrow their saw to get the antlers, with the bases!

I know the pack out distance is stupidly long and there's a lot of internet badboys. I agree if I were doing it next weekend in the heat.... That might be a bad idea and I'm glad my plans have changed. I've got plenty of knowledge to take care of the meat and with the cooler temps in October, I'm not worried much about spoilage. I also plan to give myself a 2-3 day window at the end, where I'll just have to hunt my way back to my vehicle passed that point in time. And make sure I don't shoot one that is in a really terrible spot in relation to getting back to a trail. I know I'd be able to get it done... Slowly. And my wife will definitely come help if I need it. I think she'd actually come help even if I told her not to.

Yes I would like to just hunt the area I've been learning and find one of the bulls I've got pictures of, but I also just want an adventure up there. With the possibility of having a child in the near future, I wanted to make sure I get a long trip like that in before it becomes harder in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190909_190317865_1598912406440.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	143475  
Old 08-31-2020, 04:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just some info for you.

Packing one of his nuts in your pocket is not proof of sex, neither is a severed head and antlers. That nut or at least the sack needs to be naturally attached to the meat, likewise the same goes for the head, it needs to be attached to a front quarter.

As for the image dates on Google Earth it is at the bottom of the screen.
APD likes this.
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Just some info for you.

Packing one of his nuts in your pocket is not proof of sex, neither is a severed head and antlers. That nut or at least the sack needs to be naturally attached to the meat, likewise the same goes for the head, it needs to be attached to a front quarter.

As for the image dates on Google Earth it is at the bottom of the screen.
It doesn't show it on mine. It only shows the coordinates and camera altitude. I haven't been able to find any settings to make that show up either.

As for the sex organs, yea I spaced the part about the testicles having to be physically attached to the quarter. I realized that after the fact.

Since it says head OR sex organs, don't most people just do the sex organs rather than pack a whole quarter and the head at the same time?
johnnycake likes this.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yes, it would be insane to pack a head attached to a quarter. But then you also have to pack out the antlers also.

As I also said you don't have to pack out the organs themselves but the sack

I just looked at GE and they removed the date down by the location on the main screen. But if you click on the clock up in the tool bar on the top the date will show up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GE.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	143477  
Old 08-31-2020, 08:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, it would be insane to pack a head attached to a quarter. But then you also have to pack out the antlers also.

As I also said you don't have to pack out the organs themselves but the sack

I just looked at GE and they removed the date down by the location on the main screen. But if you click on the clock up in the tool bar on the top the date will show up.
Ah! I bet the difference is that you have it downloaded to your desktop as a program. I always just use the web application. But I think I have downloaded it before and it didn't work... I'll try again.

For the head remaining with the largest portion of the carcass, I would think the hide would count as that could arguably be larger than a quarter, depending on what they're using to define "largest portion". I know there's been some discussion on this in various threads, but I don't know if there has been any definite conclusion?
Old 08-31-2020, 08:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Uintas. She has the general season archery tag, so she's actually just looking to tag whatever elk steps in front of her first, so long as it's not a calf!
I was going to help you, but with that attitude...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	you-sir-frankly.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	143479  
turkinator and Kwalk3 like this.
johnnycake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2020, 09:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
Quote:
Uintas. She has the general season archery tag, so she's actually just looking to tag whatever elk steps in front of her first, so long as it's not a calf!
I was going to help you, but with that attitude...

Agggh no!!! I hope I don't disgust you in reality. Maybe it's a joke and I'm dense?

She actually does want to just shoot a cow or any bull and was thinking of also purchasing the elk control permit you have the option to buy when you get the archery general permit, just so she could shoot a cow in regular season. She didn't know until after the missed cow opportunity that she could shoot a cow with her general season archery tag.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

The absolute pinnacle of hunting is shooting fawns and calves.

Aim for the spots baby, they're nature's bullseye
scartinez, APD, MWScott72 and 1 others like this.
johnnycake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2020, 11:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
The absolute pinnacle of hunting is shooting fawns and calves.

Aim for the spots baby, they're nature's bullseye
Haha... I'll have to let her know. Turns out I've been doing it all wrong!

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in