> FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,128
Threads: 63,735
Welcome to our newest member, mortgageautomation
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MooseMeat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wasatch Mtns West Timp Cow Elk

So I drew the West Timp cow hunt. The dates are Nov 21-Jan 31. I grew up in American Fork and know the area decently well just don't know where the elk are. But I live in Idaho now and won't have a ton of time to scout or hunt. Just wondering if I could get some pointers on areas to focus on. Talked to a biologist and he gave me ideas on a few places just want a few more. I know access to the unit that time of year is on foot or horse (luckily have access to horses). Any advice would be appreciated!
Arfrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Take horses up dry canyon to baldy. A lot of work for a late season cow, but your best option. The elk herd is only a fraction of what it was 5 or so years ago.
Blackie6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here’s a little “tech tip” as the big deal insta influencers call it:

The biologist info is probably the most accurate info you get. Especially when your other option for obtaining info is on a forum from a bunch of strangers that might send you on a wild goose chase to keep you as far away from their favorite hunting spots as possible. The biologist has access to all the harvest reports from previous hunting seasons. He will know the areas that continue to produce year after year. He also has recommended that seasons cow permit numbers and wants to see those permits filled so the herds he’s in charge of managing, can be as healthy as possible, with the tools and resources he’s given to do so. I’ve talked to many biologists and never once have I had one give me bad info. It’s always been accurate and very helpful. Hell even some fish cops are very helpful. Just today I had one give me info on where he had seen doe antelope recently. Within 10 minutes of that conversation, my wife filled her 2nd tag.

Beyond that, a spotting scope, binos and a little effort on your part will probably be more beneficial than online scouting. But to each their own. It’s a cow elk in the middle of winter. How people struggle filling those tags, is beyond me.
johnnycake likes this.
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in