> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,808
Threads: 63,311
Welcome to our newest member, jessicabyrne11
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2020, 06:55 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
That's all well and good, but let's not lose sight of the fact that Critter still isn't acknowledging that he incorrectly maligned the DWR implicitly or directly.
And I won't...
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2020, 07:48 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
And I won't...
Not exactly an endearing quality there, Critter. Itís one thing to have strong opinions, but to refuse to admit it when youíre factually incorrect, even when you know you are?

Yikes. Oh well.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #23 (permalink)

A lot of this forum and post in it is based on opinions, I have mine and you have yours.
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #24 (permalink)

Can't imagine they didn't front load that one thoroughly. That's a difficult hunt.

One clarification...at 2-3,000 cfs Deso would be a very tiring 3-4 day float. And drops lower come late September. Top 20 miles is wicked flat and can take 1-2 days on its own. The winds on the last 20 miles are often strong enough to blow you back upstream, without exaggeration. Beautiful country with some phenomenal wildlife but the rafting hunt logistics in there aren't simple, the least of which is how do you handle that much meat as the river is often bathtub warm until September. Through the end of September it wasn't unusual for us to float in the river next to our rafts because of the heat.

I can see how people would be tempted and then quicky realize they got into an expedition level hunt.

Big question: how do you even scout for bison on that hunt? There is just so much terrain.
backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
Here is the same info that the OP is asking about, it is still on the hunt planner. Just go to the hunt planner and put in B16525 in the hunt. Then add the layers that you want, just don't close down the information box on the right.

https://dwrapps.utah.gov/huntboundary/hbstart

Critter, I was asking about the last line in the image you posted. How can it be possible that a hunt is being changed after it has started. The whole thing seems like a real cluster.
"Information about this hunt has been changed and is pending approval. Please check back later for updated information."
TrackNBucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #26 (permalink)

No hunt is set in stone until it starts and even then they can change rules. It is just harder to inform hunters if they wait until then.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

Just looking and you can spend 9 days in the corridor. Motors are allowed at wake-less speed. I don't see any restrictions on staying at camp sites. So if you get a permit it would not be that big of deal getting in that way on the river.

I can't believe how many river miles I've rowed against the wind. I say go for it.

That being said I think the DWR has been pretty up front with the challenge.
johnnycake likes this.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #28 (permalink)

I always forget about motors in there as we always rowed. That would definitely shave time off.

The "W" is an ever present frenemy on rivers. Too many memories to count. Deso (guess the hunt is mostly in Gray's actually) is up there though on toughness, along with the row out on a high lake level year on Cataract.

And doing a little research made it clear the region they hang out in. Still big country but brought the scope down.

The camps are less common between those two canyons but the ones at the mouth of Range Creek are gorgeous.

I've looked at the management bear hunts in there for years. Bison would be a phenomenal adventure if it didn't align with so many big life events in 2020; I've always wanted to do a November trip in there. I hope someone posts up a trip report as it would be fun to live vicariously live through it.

*If anybody does choose to float hunt it feel free to message me. Its an area I know well and can recommend camps to use and avoid. Now I'm really missing those trips.
johnnycake likes this.

Last edited by backcountry; 08-03-2020 at 08:56 PM.
backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM   #29 (permalink)

Had I not already bought a multi-season elk tag for myself, plan on taking my wife out for her first ever hunt (archery elk), and plan on taking both my step kids out for their first ever hunt (antlerless elk), and possibly getting pregnant, trying to make it back to Illinois in November for my family whitetail hunt, and wanting to find a new career path..... I'm not sure if I can buy one of these tags and convince myself it's not a stupid decision. On the other hand, I'm 34 and have 2 bison points.
rtockstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in