> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,977
Threads: 63,520
Welcome to our newest member, OubreyKhali
Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2020, 09:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Translation:

I was wrong saying the DWR didnít realize this. They have been very open about all these challenges.
johnnycake likes this.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 09:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

It's just that I am sure that there are going to be people that go into this hunt without really looking at anything about it.

Then we will start getting post on here that start out that I have a Nine Mile/Range Creek bison tag and while I don't want anyone's honey holes I would like some information.

I still believe that the DWR came up with this hunt to try and put pressure on the Ute Nation to keep their bison on their property. I could be wrong but that is what I think.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I still believe that the DWR came up with this hunt to try and put pressure on the Ute Nation to keep their bison on their property. I could be wrong but that is what I think.
Of course thatís why they implemented this hunt. Doesnít take a rocket scientist to figure that out. They are tired of the bison leaving the non-America areas and going to the America areas and causing problems.

Youíll always have the ďhey, I have a tag for xxxx unit, donít want your honey holes, but I need your honey holesĒ or ďgot this tag but the DWR screwed me and now I donít have anywhere to go, and Iím too lazy to do the work for myself prior to or during the hunt, so someone tell me where to goĒ posts. Iíve actually already seen 2 on Facebook about this exact hunt, in the last week. The one guy was pissed that it counted as his OIL hunt and he wasnít told that before they got the tag. The other guy was mad that towards the end of the hunt, the only way in there will be on foot. And no one told him that prior to purchasing the tag and heís looking for contact info for the land owner to see if he can get access or if anyone had contact info for the tribe members to see if he could use their access road to get into the area. There will be a handful of guys who know what they are up against and will figure out a way to get into the area and be successful. But the majority with go stupid when they see an OTC bison tag, buy it, then get mad when they really understand thereís a lot more to this hunt that just driving down a road and shooting one when they see it.

I wonít be surprised if 3 years from now this ďopportunityĒ is nothing more than a memory.
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 10:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Unlimited best strategy to keep bison out of private ranches.
OriginalOscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2020, 10:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

I remember around 15 years ago and a old bull bison wandered up Nine Mile all the way almost to HWY 191 and was standing outside of one of my brother in laws cabins when he walked out in the morning. A few days later I saw a couple of DWR officers down on the Plateau checking sage grouse hunters and I asked them about feral animals and if it was legal to shoot them if I saw one. One officer asked what kind of feral animal that I was talking about? I just told him that the animal that I planned on shooting was not suppose to be where it was at and that the DWR had no records of any of them being in the area and that it quite likely came from a herd a number of miles away. Then I told him that it was a bison and they just looked at me with a big question mark on their face and said that they would have to get back to me on it. Then never did.

Now fast forward to around 5 years ago. My nieces husband had a South Book Cliffs deer tag in hand and was looking for bucks above the Westwater turn off. He came across 5 bison down in the flats. That February I was talking to a friend who lives in Grand Junction and he said that he saw them up off of 2 Road in Colorado north of I-70. He thought that they were some that got away from a rancher, he had no idea that they wandered in from Utah. We went up into that area a few times but never did find them ourselves but I have talked to gas field workers who have seen them in Colorado. I talked to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife and they want nothing to do with them and said that I could shoot them on sight if I wanted. I also called the bison biologist out in Vernal to tell them what was happening. He just said that Colorado wants nothing to do with them and that he would refer them to the officer out of the Price office that deals with the south side of the Book Cliffs.

Rumor has it that they are still wandering around here in Colorado but up a private canyon, but if I do find them I'll have a great story to tell.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
It's just that I am sure that there are going to be people that go into this hunt without really looking at anything about it.

Then we will start getting post on here that start out that I have a Nine Mile/Range Creek bison tag and while I don't want anyone's honey holes I would like some information.

And again, you fail to explain how any of this falls on the DWR like you at least implied, if not expressly stated in your original post. Not going to let you off the hook critter! Iím like a pit bull, youíre going to have to kill me to get me to let go.
johnnycake likes this.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

In 2015, I came across a feral sheep of some kind while muzzy deer hunting. After a half hour of tracking down phone numbers, I finally got ahold of the biologist for the area and he told me to kill it, bring a lung and his head down to the road and he would meet me there. While I was talking to him about feral animals, the topic of bison came up. About 5 years prior, I came across a big bull bison hanging out with cattle, while I was checking trail cams. I didn’t have a rifle with me and wasn’t sure of the legality of it, but I knew it wasn’t supposed to be anywhere near that area. Anyways, he told me that if I come across a bison outside of an area they are intentionally managed, I could kill it. At that point they are considered feral live stock and are fair game. Same goes with other weird animals that are in places they shouldn’t be. I found another one last spring in the same unit. Again, no rifle on me at the time. I hope someday I do find another one while hunting. That would be the ultimate bonus round!
Old 08-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

I would make sure you have written law that gives you the ability to do that in hand when you do hit the jackpot and kill that bison. I somehow suspect that you wonít get the same courtesy as Wade Lemon based upon ďa division employee told me I could.Ē
Old 08-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I would make sure you have written law that gives you the ability to do that in hand when you do hit the jackpot and kill that bison. I somehow suspect that you wonít get the same courtesy as Wade Lemon based upon ďa division employee told me I could.Ē
I have the proper documentation that Iíll need and Iíll be sure to call biologist and get up to date approval before pulling the trigger. Thatís assuming Iíll ever cross paths with one again. I doubt I will.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:30 AM   #20 (permalink)

That's all well and good, but let's not lose sight of the fact that Critter still isn't acknowledging that he incorrectly maligned the DWR implicitly or directly.
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in