> FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,819
Threads: 63,323
Welcome to our newest member, Tomedtay
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By taxidermist

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2020, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Elk attractants, salt? Scents?

So i know this has been gone over before, but if anything do you guys have luck with as an attractant for trail cam pics?
Currently I'm trying out just some basic salt licks from the feed store.(yet to check trail cams) Do you really see a difference with natural salt licks? Fancy expensive food plot attractants?

Also what about putting down some initial artificial elk scent to bring them in?
Diyhntr44 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

The horse licks from IFA for $4 are just fine. Used to buy trophy rocks and they are the same but 4x the price.

Stopped using salt and cams. Scout, stalk, call kill has been more fun for me. I have however shot multiple elk over water with a bow, once the bugeling action gets to you it’s tough to sit over a waterhole.
prumpf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

As far as artificial elk sent goes, its garbage. Don’t waste your time, money and hopes on it. Learn how to scout, their water and feed and bedding areas and over time rut/pressure behaviors and you will be miles ahead of artificial scent.
prumpf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey thanks for the advice, ya i thought there shouldn't be to much difference on salt. I do plan on and love to hunt stalking, getting up high and glassing.
Just interested in what works good for getting good trail camera pics. i dont plan on sitting over the area. Thanks
Diyhntr44 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2020, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Water. In elk country, find water and you've found the elk.

-DallanC
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2020, 05:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

This thread reminded me of a "situation" back in the early 90's, made me laugh. Here is the story...….

I was checking on the cattle we had on the open range one morning during the archery Elk season. I took a shortcut through a drainage and cut into a large aspen stand. I heard one of the bulls bellowing and sounding like something was wrong. I kicked "crackerjack" and loped up the hill to see what was going on.

As I broke out of the aspen stand into a small meadow I saw the Bull in a group of pines that were at the other side of the meadow. About 20 yards in I see a guy up this pine tree. I had Gus and Brinn (Heeler and Border Collie) push the bull out into the meadow.

It was a friends Dad up the tree...….. He had been up the tree for about an hour hanging out. He said he had sprayed some cow elk in heat on himself and was trying to get closer to some Elk when the Angus ran his butt up the tree. I guess it worked, just wrong species of Bull.
Raptorman and Muleyboy22 like this.

Last edited by taxidermist; 07-29-2020 at 05:11 AM.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2020, 06:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidermist View Post
This thread reminded me of a "situation" back in the early 90's, made me laugh. Here is the story...Ö.

I was checking on the cattle we had on the open range one morning during the archery Elk season. I took a shortcut through a drainage and cut into a large aspen stand. I heard one of the bulls bellowing and sounding like something was wrong. I kicked "crackerjack" and loped up the hill to see what was going on.

As I broke out of the aspen stand into a small meadow I saw the Bull in a group of pines that were at the other side of the meadow. About 20 yards in I see a guy up this pine tree. I had Gus and Brinn (Heeler and Border Collie) push the bull out into the meadow.

It was a friends Dad up the tree...Ö.. He had been up the tree for about an hour hanging out. He said he had sprayed some cow elk in heat on himself and was trying to get closer to some Elk when the Angus ran his butt up the tree. I guess it worked, just wrong species of Bull.

Lol. Thatís why you donít spray the stuff on you lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brettski7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in