More tags issued in exchange for less effective weapons? - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,819
Threads: 63,323
Welcome to our newest member, Tomedtay
Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default More tags issued in exchange for less effective weapons?

Out of curiosity, who would support more tags being issued in exchange for using less effective weapons?
We have a limited commodity of animals, an increase of hunters, and an un-checked growth of human population that does not appear to have an end in sight.
I was born in Utah and grew up during a time I could hunt ducks and pheasants after school along the Jordan River in West Jordan.
I have not missed a single hunting season since other than two years for a Mission.
I am disgusted with what we have turned Utah in to.
I would love to move to Wyoming but wife is too attached to grandkids that reside between West Jordan and Layton.

SO,
now we need to find a way to keep doing what we all love because I don’t plan on giving up soon.
I would gladly give up some modern technologies I’ve become accustomed to ( my scope/sabot/pelletized powder of my muzzy, my rangefinder on my bowhunt, and the scope off my Tikka) in order to hunt deer every year. I’m sure there are even more items I would give up given more time to think about it.
Heck, it would force me to use the .30-.30 my Mom used to kill a buck with every year back in ‘The Day’.
I am not willing to give up my points though.
I also want to hunt with my kids, not vicariously through them.
We all want to hunt every year.
We all want to see animals, even if we don’t draw blood.
Today’s technology is akin to hitting a home run every time up to bat or scoring a field goal at every kick.
It is too easy to kill the animal once one is located.
I just want to play, even if I don’t win every time.
We all better brainstorm a way to get more tags issued every year so that we can all stay in the game.
If changes don’t come from us we definitely won’t like what may be coming.
Anyone else willing to cut back on some technology in exchange for more opportunity?
Bucksnbulls08 likes this.
shaner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Make it easy. Just eliminate the use of gun powder!

Most general season success rates are in the 30% range already. At what point do people quit hunting?
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2020, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Holy chit they sky isn’t falling. Either calm down or take up golf. Quit trying to get more by advocating for less
7MM RELOADED likes this.
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is like the 5th thread in a week about how the bottom is falling off of Utah hunting.

I disagree. I think Utah hunting is still pretty good.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

There's some great tech out there for sure, and many of us carry some of it like rangefinders, scopes, etc. But the stuff that gives you exact readings on where to place shots, clicks to click on a scope is something that isn't all that common among the majority of hunters. At least I don't know anyone that uses all of that high end items. Maybe I don't get out enough...

I like the modern tech that I use, and I don't believe it guarantees a "homerun" every time I go out. There is too much human error that comes into play when hunting. I get out regardless of whether I draw or not. Either with a rifle, muzzle loader, bow, or a camera. That doesn't work for everyone! I feel like I could hunt deer in Utah every year if I wanted, but like the unit I spend the most time on.

Interesting topic, but I just don't mind the way things are other than I would like the DWR to decide how many tags are allotted to each unit for all species before the draw application period.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2020, 11:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

MM, the sky is falling in tiny increments.
If you don’t protect yourself it will come crashing down on you/us before you know it.

Vanilla, I do not know your age but maybe you are not old enough to remember two bucks a year per hunter and drawing antlerless tags yearly?
How about pheasants/dove hunting access just by knocking on a door?
When was the last time you shot a few limits of wild roosters in Utah?
Hunting is still decent in Utah but not like it used to be.

I do appreciate you all responding to my question.
I wanted to get a feeling on where I stood on Utah’s hunting opportunities vs. how my fellow sportsman feel.
Thank you.
bossloader likes this.
shaner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 05:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

“Hitting a Home run every time”.

Have you not witnessed a general deer hunt? Most guys can’t connect on the first shot at 300 yards with a big rifle and fancy scope. Most guys can’t hit a deer with a muzzy the first shot at 150 yards. It’s painful and embarrassing to watch some of these clowns try to shoot a deer. One time I ran into a guy that had a brand new gunwerks rifle in a 6.5 creedmoor, that didn’t have any idea how to run the turrets on his scope. He was doing the old hold over and pray method with a rifle that costs 7k+. Far more deer are missed at 50 yards with a bow than get hit. And 50 yards isn’t that far with today’s equipment. No, it’s definitely not a home run every time the trigger is pulled.

And you can’t blame the inability to get permission for private fields in Utah, on the fact the upland hunts suck. The landowners simply don’t want strangers on their property. And in today’s world, I 100% understand that. It’s still not hard to get permission, especially if you have local ties to the area that you can relate to. There’s plenty of pheasant habitat in the state. I don’t really think that’s the big issue for their low numbers. I think it has more to do with the fact that they aren’t a native species to the area, and they haven’t adapted well, like the other introduced species have. With that said, if you put in work, you could still shoot limits fairly easily. I know many guys who do it every year. Predators come into play here too. When was the last time you killed a few raccoons or skunks and did your part on helping the population? I bet it’s closer to ‘never’ than ‘all the time’. Maybe they need to shut down that hunt completely for a few years. But even if they did that, I bet you’d still see the same amount of birds.

Last edited by MooseMeat; 07-27-2020 at 05:04 AM.
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 05:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have to agree with shaner on the pheasant hunting in todays time! I've experienced the days of shooting a limit (2) roosters before heading off to school. I know for a fact that habitat loss is the primary cause for the decline followed very close with predation.

Moose commented on closing the hunting for a couple years. (pheasants) I don't think many hunters would care to tell you the truth. What about Big Game though? Not saying close the hunt, just hike the price of a tag ($40 is high for a deer in my book) and require the cost for ALL tags at the time of application. I believe that would limit a few from applying for everything and making tags more difficult to draw. Many have no problem dropping $100 for a tag application at $10 each. It's a little harder when you have to drop $1000 for a hunt application.

There, I said it...……..Hunting is heading in the direction for the wealthy. It has been for many years though.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ah, to travel back in time...well, you can't. I too drove the old canal roads of West Jordan in pursuit of pheasants. We always stopped in and visited Tuff, and his boy's Gene and Don and Jay, when Doves where the quarry. We chased rabbits where Eagle Mountain city now stands. I remember fishing Trial Lake and being the only people there. When I would park our old '52 Willys wagon in the parking lot of South High and it was the only 4x4 around, and oh, yeah, we never called them 4x4's back then. The idea of having special, fancy, dedicated clothing to wear hunting was... "wait...say what?" Yea, I guess they were the good old days, but they are gone except in my memories. But, life goes on and hunting is still fun as ever. The day will come when your life is the "good old days"...you lucky dog.
one4fishing likes this.

Last edited by BPturkeys; 07-27-2020 at 07:33 AM.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 07:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think we would start seeing a lot of wounded animals.

Especially when we think about eliminating range finders. Anyone hunting with a bow is already at a very low success rate (that’s why archery elk tags are over the counter).

When it comes to Rifle hunting i would rather have the current crowed on the mountain, then an even bigger crowed with less technology.

Nothing is more constant than change, sure it can suck when we remember how great something back then was and it might not be today however there are also a lot of things (not necessarily hunting) that are better today then they have ever been.
prumpf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in