More tags issued in exchange for less effective weapons? - Page 9 - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,819
Threads: 63,323
Welcome to our newest member, Tomedtay
Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomElk16 View Post
"You could sell your car and hunt a moose, but apparently you just don't care that much about hunting."
/shrug its true though. A CWMU tag isnt like the cost of a house, its the cost of a car.

The more likely scenario is a an elderly gentleman who is in his 60s and can either choose to buy a new truck, or drive his existing truck and buy a moose tag. If hunting is more important, he'll go with the moose tag.

I'm not saying 20'somethings should be choosing hunting over other life necessaries, but *IF* hunting is something important to a person, they can live frugally, save and work towards buying that tag over spending money on multiple misc trips like people doing disneyland trips, hawaii trips etc etc.

I think most of us who haven't bought a CWMU or banquet tag moose tag, have probably blown way more money than it would cost on other misc frivolous things in our lives.

-DallanC
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2020, 12:40 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post
/shrug its true though. A CWMU tag isnt like the cost of a house, its the cost of a car.

The more likely scenario is a an elderly gentleman who is in his 60s and can either choose to buy a new truck, or drive his existing truck and buy a moose tag...

I think most of us who haven't bought a CWMU or banquet tag moose tag, have probably blown way more money than it would cost on other misc frivolous things in our lives.

-DallanC
So Dallan, when are you going to buy that moose tag?

I agree that people will always find a way to do the things that are important to them - regardless of the cost.
CPAjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #83 (permalink)
Senior Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post

The more likely scenario is a an elderly gentleman who is in his 60s and can either choose to buy a new truck, or drive his existing truck and buy a moose tag. If hunting is more important, he'll go with the moose tag.

I'm not saying 20'somethings should be choosing hunting over other life necessaries, but *IF* hunting is something important to a person, they can live frugally, save and work towards buying that tag over spending money on multiple misc trips like people doing disneyland trips, hawaii trips etc etc.

-DallanC
You are right. Transportation for years typically overcomes hunting. Medical expenses or things for children typically outweigh hunting.

With toys, yes it boils down to "side by side for years or one hunt".

I think you can make things happen, but lets not pretend everyone on here truly has the means to budget a CWMU tag. Some already are living frugal as you alluded too. Some haven't done Disney, or Hawaii, or anything even close.
RandomElk16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAjeff View Post
So Dallan, when are you going to buy that moose tag?
Nah I'm going to draw that thing. I'm waiting for some CWMU to start selling Mt Goat tags. Whats the highest elevation CWMU in UTah? LOL...

Quote:
I agree that people will always find a way to do the things that are important to them - regardless of the cost.
Yep. And also priorities change. There was a time I would have never imagined not hunting... now I find I miss Dove openers... I havent hunted Pheasants in 20 years. Still hunt buck deer as often as I can, but maybe the time will come I start missing those from time to time.

-DallanC
CPAjeff likes this.
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #85 (permalink)

Fully guided moose hunts can be had for less than $10,000. Even a few combination hunts for moose and goats but adding that second animal starts to add up.

This year I might miss hunting deer in Utah for the first time since I was 16, but I still might get a day or two in. My hunting partner who is a resident has some health problems that are getting taken care or and he is planning on turning his Manti buck tag back in. He just has to wait until next week to get his doctors excuse to mail it in.

But I'll still have my Colorado ML tag and perhaps a elk and bear tag.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in