More tags issued in exchange for less effective weapons? - Page 3 - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,808
Threads: 63,311
Welcome to our newest member, jessicabyrne11
Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2020, 06:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

I was going to go hunt out of state for deer in different state this year and the area I wanted to hunt had no buck tags this year because of low numbers. geez Utah would never close down an area to help anything. I Just came back from there and seen some nice bucks that will be even bigger next year for us.
270win likes this.
7MM RELOADED is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 06:57 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy elk View Post
TS
I agree on the waterfowl.
Probably the best it's ever been.

Everything else is headed downhill.

Besides maybe a few OIAL hunts
Goof, the elk hunting is not worse off today than it was in the 50s, 60s, or 70s. It may not be at its peak, but we’ve never had a time where all species peaked together. Never. That dream is just that. It never existed in reality.

My statement that things are pretty good should not be misunderstood to suggest I think things are perfect. But overall, a Utah hunting is pretty darn good.
Kwalk3 likes this.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #23 (permalink)

I'm not sure why everyone is busting Shaner's chops for suggesting less lethal weapon systems. The guy makes a great point and is advocating for more opportunity and more tags; Why are you guys against opportunity?!

Problem is we LOVE our toys, we spend lot's of money on em and nobody likes to put away their favorite toy.

Real question is would less lethal weapons result in less harvest, thereby being able to increase tags issued?

Probably maybe but won't happen unfortunately, too much toy $ invested.

Would be pretty easy rules too
Archery: No releases, fingers have to pull back the string--done!
Muzzleloader: No inlines, sabots, scopes--done!
Rifle: No Scopes, red dots, rangefinders--done!
Packout and Kwalk3 like this.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #24 (permalink)

Thank you for weighing in Airborne.
I appreciate even the negative comments, it lets me gauge my fellow hunters feelings on the subject.
I believe less lethal weapons will result in less harvest which results in more huntable deer, therefore being able to maybe hunt every year.
I don’t care if I spill blood every year, I just want the opportunity every year to be out there.
I have bunches of money tied up in toys also, I understand it will be difficult to put them away.
But, would it be worth it?
I say ‘YES’, but that is just me.
I guess partly what I am also trying to say is the change better come from us, not a higher authority that might not understand why all of us do what we do.
Edit- Remember it is called ‘hunting, not ‘shooting’ season.
cedar likes this.
shaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner View Post
Thank you for weighing in Airborne.
I appreciate even the negative comments, it lets me gauge my fellow hunters feelings on the subject.
I believe less lethal weapons will result in less harvest which results in more huntable deer, therefore being able to maybe hunt every year.
I don’t care if I spill blood every year, I just want the opportunity every year to be out there.

I have bunches of money tied up in toys also, I understand it will be difficult to put them away.
But, would it be worth it?
I say ‘YES’, but that is just me.
I guess partly what I am also trying to say is the change better come from us, not a higher authority that might not understand why all of us do what we do.
Edit- Remember it is called ‘hunting, not ‘shooting’ season.
So less harvest percentage, but more people out there. Won't it even itself out?
RemingtonCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #26 (permalink)

This past fall, several hundred yards down from us a 12 year old tried to kill his first buck. He was surrounded by Grandpa, Dad, Brothers and an Uncle. It was a small spike, barely 5" horns. The kid shot that buck to pieces, hit it 5 times before he killed it. Shot it in the hinds, twice. Guts. Front shoulder and finally a vitals hit. They walked down to it, kicked dirt for a while, then wandered off... leaving the buck to rot

There were others there standing there watching all of this going down... they assumed the party went down to get atvs and come back for the deer. They alerted the DWR who was up there the next day doing an "investigation". Thats were I heard the story, from two guys who witnessed this, and talked to the DWR officer.

My wife ironically shot a buck not 100 yards from where this buck was abandoned, just moments before the DWR showed up.

How many other bucks are being left by trash hunters like this? What kind of example was the rest of the family for this kid? My hell even grandpa was ok with leaving it. They should have NEVER let that kid even aim at that buck if they weren't happy with bringing it home.

I would love to believe the people were caught and cited, but I doubt they were.

-DallanC
Critter likes this.
DallanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #27 (permalink)

Every year I usually find at least 2 deer that were shot and left and most of them are near a road.

As for less effective weapons, I wonder how many more wounded deer and elk we would then have?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
ridgetop likes this.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #28 (permalink)

I have come up with the ultimate solution to getting tags and possibly moving the point creep faster????

It's becoming the new "Norm" that most will draw a deer tag every other year. So, say if you were born on a odd number year, you can only apply for a tag on a odd number year?

Brilliant I know.....I'll be here all week. LOL
taxidermist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonCountry View Post
So less harvest percentage, but more people out there. Won't it even itself out?
Yep--that's the point--same harvest, more hunters afield, more opportunity, less plugs in bums!
Old 07-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
Every year I usually find at least 2 deer that were shot and left and most of them are near a road.

As for less effective weapons, I wonder how many more wounded deer and elk we would then have?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Does Colorado, Nevada & Idaho have more wounded game with their more primitive muzzy rules than other states muzzy hunts? Do the many many states back east have more wounded game with their shotgun only seasons? Plenty of evidence to suggest that is not true.

It's ok to disagree with the idea based on liking the toys you have--that is a valid reason but I like the idea of more tags, less bum plugs if my toys are switched out or altered.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in