More tags issued in exchange for less effective weapons? - Page 2 - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,819
Threads: 63,323
Welcome to our newest member, Tomedtay
Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

MM,
“Close pheasant season for a year”? That’s crazy talk.
Aren’t you always saying you advocate for more opportunity?
And, you have sorely misjudged me concerning my efforts in predator control and habitat improvement.
I patrol a property twice a week for skunks and raccoons, I hate them.
I have only turned in two coyotes this year but not from lack of trying.
I have planted Jap Millet and so many Sago Pond Weed tubers this year it would make your head spin.
I live in the city but plant a feed quality corn patch in my backyard that produces 700-800 cobs of corn. Some I just throw on the ground. During the winter I have about 50-60 ducks come in every night.
I take a couple hundred cobs during pheasant breeding season and throw them along roads and fence lines so the hens have a quick food source to get back on the nest.
I use to kill 12-16 pheasants in the Utah season, it was not easy. I would be worn out and scratched up from the Russian Olives but at least the birds were there.
I am jealous, and probably subconsciously bitter (not at you), that you have a spot you can “easily kill” two wild Utah roosters a day.
My advice to you:
Do whatever you need to do to keep access to those wild birds.
shaner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

shaner, I donít remember the days of two buck tags and doe tags every year, but Iím old enough to have killed wild pheasants in Utah by asking permission, which I donít even try that one anymore.

Yes, things have changed. Yes, there are more people in Utah and less deer (and pheasants). But not everything is bad. Waterfowl hunting in Utah is fantastic, as good as itís ever been. And how many people were killing elk back when you were taking two buck deer tags and a doe tag every year?

I am also old enough to know that every generation longs for ďthe good old days.Ē Every generation after is weaker, less intuitive, lazy, yada yada yada. Your parents and grandparents felt the same way. Iíll feel the same way about my grandkids as well. Itís just what we do as humans.
johnnycake likes this.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

BP, you probably peppered my parents house with shot back in the day!
Just kidding, growing up the canals in WJ had to many houses along them but the Jordan was still a happy place.
Catfish at night, white bass by the buckets, mallards, roosters, and the Holy Grail for a young punk:
A Canada goose if you got lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

True that Vanilla, thanks for your comments.
I started this thread in hopes to brainstorm ways to get some of those opportunities back.
You have any thoughts on how to increase opportunities, especially with deer?
I fear Utah’s pheasant hunting( for the vast majority) will simply RIP and never be revived. Sad.
As for waterfowl season I both agree and disagree with you:
Only one Pintail again this year, that one hurt!!
Old 07-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner View Post
True that Vanilla, thanks for your comments.
I started this thread in hopes to brainstorm ways to get some of those opportunities back.
I fear Utahís pheasant hunting( for the vast majority) will simply RIP and never be revived. Sad.
As for waterfowl season I both agree and disagree with you:
Only one Pintail again this year, that one hurt!!
The pintail situation has nothing to do with utah. Itís the feds that have the final say on that. Waterfowl hunting is as good as its ever been. My dad, who has been running airboats and hunting waterfowl since the early 60s, who lived through the ďglory daysĒ in Utah will tell you that waterfowl numbers and hunt quality is as good, or better, than its ever been.

Itís really comical to see everyone lose their mind after 1 weird year of draw results and permit sale trends. Nothing has been the Ďnormí this year, and everyone has been ok with it and accepted it, with the exception of utah hunting. When it comes to that, itís as bad as itís ever gonna be and we need to take drastic measures to fix the problem (that in reality probably doesnít exist yet). They just changed a bunch as far as permit and draw structures go, regarding bonus and PP points, in an effort to address point creep. Anyone thatís played the game should have expected things to change this year due to that. Combine that with corona, It flushed a lot of top point holders out. Letís see what happens in the next 3-5 years. If things are still the same, then we can look at other ways to address the issues.
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

MM,
I’ve owned a few airboats and was President of the UAB for two years.
What was your Dad’s name, I may have had the pleasure to hang out with him?
I sold my last airboat when the parking lot at FB had 24-36 boats launching out on any given Saturday.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

I like hunting with shotguns.how about set up some hunts with a single shot shotgun using buckshot only?
cedar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
To me, the answer to this is simple. If we want more opportunities to hunt deer, we need more deer. Now, how to create more deer becomes a little less clear, but I'm not a biologist, so I don't feel a pressing need to figure that one out. Those we already pay to figure that out should be figuring that one out, in my opinion. I think we have small sample size experiments that have shown we can have a positive impact here. Predator removal, highway fencing and over/underpasses, habitat restoration, etc all should have a positive impact across the board, but it's going to cost money. I wish the tens of millions of dollars that have gone to "conservation" organizations were being focused solely into these projects. I do think it would make a difference. More deer = more tags = more opportunity = less happy "trophy hunters."

Quote:
I fear Utahís pheasant hunting( for the vast majority) will simply RIP and never be revived. Sad.
Unfortunately, I agree. Way too many houses where pheasants used to roam. I live in one, so I can't really complain too much. I don't see any realistic way to legitimately revive the wild pheasant population in Utah. We're stuck with planted birds on WMAs for youth hunts and pheasant clubs here, I believe.
johnnycake and cedar like this.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2020, 05:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

If we want more opportunities to hunt deer, we need more deer. Now, how to create more deer becomes a little less clear, but I'm not a biologist, so I don't feel a pressing need to figure that one out.

If you could figure that one out, you'd be holding the Holy Grail. I'd think you'd have to be able to control the weather, growth, fire, flood, habitat loss, and so on. Only one individual I know of that can do that.

I can see it now in 20 years...……The DWR will be raising deer and turning them out the day before the opener. Similar to the "Pheasant hunt" and have a map that show's the release areas.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2020, 06:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
This is like the 5th thread in a week about how the bottom is falling off of Utah hunting.

I disagree. I think Utah hunting is still pretty good.

TS
I agree on the waterfowl.
Probably the best it's ever been.

Everything else is headed downhill.

Besides maybe a few OIAL hunts

- Winston Churchill

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile

Last edited by goofy elk; 07-28-2020 at 06:42 AM.
goofy elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in