» Stats
Members: 13,819
Threads: 63,323
Welcome to our newest member, Tomedtay
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By 3arabians
  • 2 Post By MooseMeat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dealing with cattle during archery hunts.

I have been hunting a meadow with a wallow for a few years now. I set a camera there each year. The last couple of years the cattle have been there. They come in once or twice a day to drink and then go somewhere else to hang out. The elk have always just come in when the cattle aren’t there. This year the cattle came in and they aren’t leaving. They showed up about 5 days ago and haven’t left. Needless to say, no elk are showing up now. Is that area blown? Will the cattle move on? I noticed the cattle getting closer and closer all through July and now they have homesteaded. Is there a way to kindly encourage them to move on? I have no “beef” with cattle or the ranchers but I would really like to hunt that area. It’s really a great spot. Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks
stripey22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2020, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

That sucks! I know how you feel. I’ve had a few elk hunts ruined by cattle in my day. Or did I let them ruin it for me?? Unfortunately there isn’t much you can do about the cattle. Just improvise and adapt to them if they stick around. There is still a few weeks until archery opening day and over a month until archery elk heats up. They will probably move on before the hunt starts but a new batch will probably move in. I’ve also seen many times when cattle and elk hang out together

Could be worse. Could be range maggots instead of cattle.
bowgy, Raptorman and OriginalOscar like this.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have literally thousands of trail cam pics with cattle, elk and deer all in the same frame together. Cattle won’t push elk out IF that’s the only water in the area. They don’t love cattle, but will tolerate them if they need. Since elk need water at least once a day, if they haven’t showed up in 5 days, there’s water elsewhere that they are using. The area isn’t blown, I’m sure they will return. But sounds like they have a back up plan. I’d be looking for that.
ridgetop and 7MM RELOADED like this.
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2020, 05:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Don't know where your hunting at but when I pushed cattle on the Nebo you had rest areas that were off limits to grazing. Dad and I would ride with the Ranger in the spring looking at the range conditions and the FS would let us know how many and where we could place cattle.

Normally, we would drive the cows to the next pasture (up the mountain) every 3-4 weeks. I've seen Elk mixed in with cows many times. Now sheep on the other hand...……. Well, they just eat the grass down to the dirt and nothing is left for the Elk to eat.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies! I’ll keep an eye on it and I’ll also look for another water source close by.
stripey22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2020, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've had cattle and heards of elk and deer water side by side at the same water hole as i was in a tree stand right above. It didn't seem to deter the elk at all. If you figure cows are ranged on the mountain every year, the elk just seem to tolerate them in my experience.
Diyhntr44 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in