> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,842
Threads: 63,352
Welcome to our newest member, Manningup
Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Well
I gotta agree with Packout.

Cap it at 30.

It's the only real fix.

- Winston Churchill

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile

Last edited by goofy elk; 07-27-2020 at 05:28 PM.
goofy elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packout View Post
It may be time for hunters to only be able to obtain one permit for each species. At least until everyone has had a chance to draw/buy something, then on X date allow an additional permit to be purchased, if any are available.

Just my take, but I don't think the OTC youth archery tags are a decent option for 90% + of the youth hunters. Archery is much too expensive and too specialized for most kids. These tags are great for archery hunting families, not so much for the masses.
You can buy a complete, ready to kill, set up at Walmart for $300 that will last a lifetime if you only use for bowhunting. If you canít swing that, then maybe hunting in general isnít really something you can afford. Especially when it comes to permit fees, fuel, boots, supplies, etc...
silentstalker likes this.
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packout View Post
It may be time for hunters to only be able to obtain one permit for each species. At least until everyone has had a chance to draw/buy something, then on X date allow an additional permit to be purchased, if any are available.

Just my take, but I don't think the OTC youth archery tags are a decent option for 90% + of the youth hunters. Archery is much too expensive and too specialized for most kids. These tags are great for archery hunting families, not so much for the masses.
The top idea is terrible. It's ridiculous that I can buy multiple tags OTC in most the neighboring states as a non res but in Utah we want to limit species like that?

Antlerless is still hard to draw for elk AND deer so I really don't see the purpose in that. You basically eliminate the opportunity hunts (private land, control tags).

Also - I can buy a solid fully setup youth bow package for less money than a setup rifle. Period.
saltydog likes this.
RandomElk16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #24 (permalink)

when i talk kids im talking 14 year old and older that are now big enough and making there own money to hunt i have paid for all my kids for years now and i think if they want to hunt they need to see what all is involved with it, so if you figure my kid turns 14 and puts in for buck deer on a unit that takes 5 points to draw he is now 5 years into giving up his money to buy not only a tag but a gun, bullets, gas, food, knife, game bags ect ect ect. just to be told NO you cant hunt this year again but your uncle gets to hunt elk, cow elk, buck deer, and doe deer, antelope and he is going out of state for pigs. this is what im talking about how can we get younger hunter more opportunity so they can help support the cost and maintenance involved in hunting. NOT YOUTH HUNTERS but young hunters, if we don't prepare today it could all go away tomorrow.
bossloader is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2020, 11:12 AM   #25 (permalink)

but when we were young we could buy tags over the counter
Old 08-01-2020, 06:47 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossloader View Post
but when we were young we could buy tags over the counter
Your absolutely correct! BUT.....It also seemed there were more animals running around in the woods. I know there were a heck of a lot less hunters in the field.

I've ruffled some feathers of a few forum members because of a few post's and comments about tag numbers, etc.

The fact is that Utah has a commodity that is limited and possibly diminishing every year. The demand for tags is more than the eco system can offer. Some group or government identity better get a plan in place soon before this precious resource is gone.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2020, 10:08 AM   #27 (permalink)

My daughter is 11 years old and we bought her a Bear Cruzer Lite on sale for a littler over $200 for Christmas (that's all she wanted and all she got!). That bow is so adjustable it will last her until she wants to upgrade in ten years. We shoot league every week and for being 11 she is doing really well. We are working up her draw weight and I know that when she is 12 she will be ready to bowhunt deer. Range is gonna be 20-30 yards but that's good enough. If a parent wants to spend the time and a little money they can get their kid out bowhunting. It's about time spent with kids and dedication. If it's important to you there are a ton of youth hunting opportunities in this state--a lot more than I had when I was a kid!
Critter likes this.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossloader View Post
when i talk kids im talking 14 year old and older that are now big enough and making there own money to hunt i have paid for all my kids for years now and i think if they want to hunt they need to see what all is involved with it, so if you figure my kid turns 14 and puts in for buck deer on a unit that takes 5 points to draw he is now 5 years into giving up his money to buy not only a tag but a gun, bullets, gas, food, knife, game bags ect ect ect. just to be told NO you cant hunt this year again but your uncle gets to hunt elk, cow elk, buck deer, and doe deer, antelope and he is going out of state for pigs. this is what im talking about how can we get younger hunter more opportunity so they can help support the cost and maintenance involved in hunting. NOT YOUTH HUNTERS but young hunters, if we don't prepare today it could all go away tomorrow.
Again. Have you seen how many hunters are applying for tags right now? Hunting isn’t going anywhere any time soon in Utah.

If your kid takes 5 years to draw a tag, you’ve failed as a parent. Maybe apply for easier to draw units. Mentor YOUR tag to them. Buy them an OTC archery youth tag. Buy them a spike or any bull tag. Like I said, if they aren’t it hunting every weekend from August until the end of January it’s YOUR fault. The opportunity is there, and there’s plenty of it! How many points do they have in Wyoming for deer, elk and pronghorn? Did you buy them 2 OTC Idaho buck tags this year? What about Arizona? Have they been building points for animals in that state? There’s dirt cheap hog hunts in Texas right now. When is your hunt book for that? $300 for 2 pigs. 2 days, 3 nights. Need a link for the outfit? I can get it for you.

If the uncle is hunting all those permits, he’s 1) waited the time long enough in line to draw all them that year (that takes years on some of them). 2) has spent some time researching how to get more tags and how to take advantage of opportunities that are out there and 3) looking outside of utah for other opportunities. Don’t get mad at people or want to punish them for putting in the time to figure out to maximize their hunting opportunities that utah has! The opportunity is there for EVERYONE. From youth to the senior citizens! How bad do you want it? Well it must not be very bad if you think limiting the amount of tags a person can a year is the best way to get more tags into your pocket.
saltydog likes this.

Last edited by MooseMeat; 08-01-2020 at 01:27 PM.
MooseMeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

Not seeing the point, if we don't do something now point creep go's up and success will go down and hunter satisfaction will drop and money will stop flowing because young hunters will NOT keep spending hundreds of dollars a year in Utah when they can go to other states some of us work for a living and cant take all the time away from work to hunt for 3 months some people can't afford gas to drive every weekend hours out of state and some people want there adult kids to have it as good as i did growing up hunting as we know it IS going away in UTAH it was proved with draw tage selling out and the area i hunt now takes 5 points to draw for muzzy deer when it used to be every other year open your eyes it is changing!!!

I work weekends and it is hard to take young kids out of school to go on hunts every week, you are being unreal in what you say Moosemeat, i did what I could for my kids when they were young now im working with grandkids and it has changed so much in just a few years dont lecture me on stuff being my fault if there not hunting if my grandkids finds an area THEY want to hunt and it takes 5 years to draw how is that my fault? maybe they dont want to hunt with 5000 other hunters, the hunts in Texas are not dirt cheap ream how much they charge for tips gutting storing and shipping been there done that. and it was my brother who in his family got 4 cow elk tags 4 buck deer tags and 2 doe antelope tags and 1 bull elk tag with just 4 people in the house I say great but if four people in your house drew that with just 4 bull elk points today i would call you the king and bow to you. that is what i'm talking about you ask if i have seen the amount of people applying for tags right now? well of course that is my whole point, hunters are increasing animals are NOT that state caps the amount buy having doe hunts and cow hunts they only want 18 bucks per hundred does they only want 65000 elk in the state when i was young we had 300.000 hunters in utah now we have 80.000 is all. think about it!

Last edited by bossloader; 08-01-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

If things happen as you say then points should go down as fewer put in for tags and higher point holders draw out and get onto the waiting list to try again or move on to another animal.

The big problem is that there are only so many elk, deer, pronghorn, moose, bison, goats, and sheep in the state for people to go after. Then there are more and more people putting in for those tags to go chase them.

The DWR just passed one thing on LE deer this last year moving the waiting period from 2 to 5 years. If you are waiting for 5 years to draw a muzzy tag perhaps you need to look at other units. I haven't looked at the odds report but I know that there are muzzy deer hunts that you can hunt every couple of years.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in