> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,819
Threads: 63,323
Welcome to our newest member, Tomedtay
Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #101 (permalink)
Senior Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
But the biggest problem is that when the amount of hunters exceeds the amount of tags offered you are going to tick of hunters. There are no easy answers and most of the ones that are out there hunters don't want to hear.
That we agree on.

Not only do they want to hunt every year - they want to hunt trophies every year. The concession should start first on WHAT you are hunting not how frequently.

Many of our LE units could be managed for a younger age group and lost very little in terms of quality while offering a lot more tags. The wealthy folks who influence our board don't want that.

Packout flat said the Henry's was more consistent with great deer when managed for a younger age(4.5-5ish). Their stupid concession was a management hunt? That's unguided? That's a young deer hunt is what that is.

But more tags ruins the elitist part that many want. I genuinely believe it's blinded our board. Sad thing is all that "money" isn't going to what it should be.
RandomElk16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #102 (permalink)

I think that they ruined the Henry Mountain deer hunt back when they pulled the antler restrictions off of it and opened it up.

Just ask anyone who hunted it back then with antler restrictions in place. It was fantastic and on a general rifle hunt tag. It was far enough away that 99% of the hunters in Utah felt that it was too far to drive and that was just fine with me while I was hunting them.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomElk16 View Post
But more tags ruins the elitist part that many want. I genuinely believe it's blinded our board. Sad thing is all that "money" isn't going to what it should be.
Exactly this! Limiting tags ups the value and big Don knew it on day one. Cutting in front of the 20 year line has to be more valuable than cutting to the front of those who will draw in five.

When it takes so long to draw and it's a real possiblity to never draw that tag again, hiring an outfitter starts looking more appealing. Who is behind the continual push to keep these tag reductions?

When a biologist says the unit can support more tags and it's opposed by the RAC chairs everyone that bitches about tags had better start going to the meetings and shouting down those outfitters. An example is the every year argument for the bookcliff tag allotments.

Go to the RAC meetings and shout down the group that is lobbying for less opportunity because that's what it's going to take.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
elkfromabove likes this.
weaversamuel76 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
I think that they ruined the Henry Mountain deer hunt back when they pulled the antler restrictions off of it and opened it up.

Just ask anyone who hunted it back then with antler restrictions in place. It was fantastic and on a general rifle hunt tag. It was far enough away that 99% of the hunters in Utah felt that it was too far to drive and that was just fine with me while I was hunting them.
And I think they ruined it for opportunity when they first put antler restrictions in place and begin managing it for trophies! After 8 years of 4-point plus antler restrictions (1977-1984) and 5 years of 3-point plus restrictions (1985-1989) and 4 years of closing (1996-1999) and 20 years of Limited Entry (2000-2019) we've ended up with a unit that issues only 50 public draw permits per year. When the trophy hunting mentality determines policy, opportunity will ALWAYS suffer.
elkfromabove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #105 (permalink)

So elkfromabove did you ever hunt the Henry Mountains back in those times?

I did, most of the hunters were hunting for trophies then. A number of big buck contest in the state at the time were won by bucks from the Henry's. But as I mentioned in my post they were too far away for 99% of the hunters in Utah to drive to. It also didn't take very long for the deer herd to almost disappear once they opened it up to any buck. The same thing happened out on the Book Cliffs. Before they opened it up to any buck would would see bucks out there much like you do now. But that first year of any antlered deer it was a zoo down there. There were ATV's all over the place and as they made their way back to camp most of them had small bucks on the racks. Two years later that hunt was worthless to go on and you had a hard time finding a decent 3 pt much less a nice 4 pt.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:38 PM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
So elkfromabove did you ever hunt the Henry Mountains back in those times?

I did, most of the hunters were hunting for trophies then. A number of big buck contest in the state at the time were won by bucks from the Henry's. But as I mentioned in my post they were too far away for 99% of the hunters in Utah to drive to. It also didn't take very long for the deer herd to almost disappear once they opened it up to any buck. The same thing happened out on the Book Cliffs. Before they opened it up to any buck would would see bucks out there much like you do now. But that first year of any antlered deer it was a zoo down there. There were ATV's all over the place and as they made their way back to camp most of them had small bucks on the racks. Two years later that hunt was worthless to go on and you had a hard time finding a decent 3 pt much less a nice 4 pt.
I admit I have never even been in the Henry Mountains. However, that doesn't mean I don't know anything about what its like to hunt there. In fact, you've pretty well explained it yourself! It sounds like a great place to see and hunt lots of big bucks. At least, for the few of you who will ever get to hunt it! I'd just rather hunt more often than "never"!

You asked me a question which I have answered so let me ask you some similar questions. Did you hunt the unit before the antler restrictions? If it was doing so well before 1976, why were the antler restrictions imposed? And if it was doing so well with the 4 point+ restrictions, why were they reduced to 3-point+ restrictions in 1984? And if the 3-point+ restrictions were working, why was it closed for 4 years in 1996?
elkfromabove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #107 (permalink)

No I didn't hunt it before the antler point restrictions were put in but knew those that did, but sadly I can't talk to them anymore.

As for why they dropped the points from 4 to 3, I have no idea. There were plenty of 4 pts running around and some huge 3 points. I did find some dead 3 points that hunters had shot and just left once they got up to them. Whenever I see birds sitting in a cedar tree or flying to one spot I usually have to investigate to see what is there..

As for why it was closed in 96, I would guess that for the same reason that the Book Cliffs were also closed. After they opened up the units to any antlered deer there was a slaughter, a bad winter doesn't help either. As I mentioned in the Book Cliffs the year they opened it up there were more people down there than I had seen in a dozen years before. Everyone had a ATV with a small buck on it. I would wager that the success rate that first year of any antlered deer was well over 70% with 90% of those bucks being 2 and small 3 points. I'm basically saying that it was a slaughter that year, and yes I was down there.

I quit hunting the Henry's in 86 and moved on to the Deloris Triangle until we got locked out of the access through Colorado and a wilderness study area that the road went through, so then we moved on to the Book Cliffs in 88.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in