> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,819
Threads: 63,323
Welcome to our newest member, Tomedtay
Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2020, 08:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

If you stack a warm elk, say even 50 degrees in one of those little 5-7 cubic ft freezers more than 4-6 inches deep it would take days for it to freeze. Very questionable it would cool down fast enough to deter spoilage. If this is your plan, get the meat cut and wrapped and place it in the freezer one layer at a time giving enough time in between loading the freezer for each layer to at least get good and cold before you add a new layer. Remember, heat is being carried out of the freezer, cold is not being put in and a freezer can only carry it out so fast. Racks in the freezer are a great idea allowing air to circulate around the layers, but still, the freezer can only move so much heat from the inside to the outside in any given time.
I personally think ice is still the best answer. Layer out the meat on a table or even the ground and cover it with a blue tarp. Spread the ice out over the meat, essentially creating a large bag of ice with the blue tarp. Layer the ice as thick as the layer of meat. You can make a nice little tub out of 4 logs and a blue tarp and just dump the ice in on top, works great. Thin layers of meat is the key.
Next morning the meat will be nice and cold. Try and allow some way for the water to drain off and away from the meat if you can. If you can can, vacuum pack the meat before hand...Perfect!

Last edited by BPturkeys; 07-21-2020 at 08:20 AM.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post
Another tip is to freeze saltwater in plastic bottles. It has a lower freezing point than normal water and will keep cooler colder and for much longer. I'll usually freeze up some 2 liter bottles and a bunch of the smaller water bottles. They get so cold it will make your fingers ache when you hold them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
How much salt you adding to the water?
It's called "Freezing Point Depression" which is why the ocean and the Great Salt Lake don't freeze at 32F like the rest of the freshwater bodies do. The attached image shows the impact of the concentration of salt on the freezing point of water... with the freezing point most depressed down to minus 21-22C (-6F) at a concentration of about 280 grams of salt in 1 kg of water. Water has a density of 1 gram per 1 milliliter so to create the most "depressed" ice blocks you would add 280 grams of salt to 1 liter of water.

SCIENCE!!!

One thing to note though is that by impacting the freezing point you also impact the melting point... you're block of saltwater ice will melt at a lower temp too. So, yes, it freezes colder but it will also melt at a lower temperature as well... your block of ice will no longer be ice at -5C, it will just be a bottle of really salty water. I had a couple bottles that I would use in my cooler that were a saltwater mixture and I could always identify them because they always melted so much faster than the bottles with just water. There was something psychological there that I didn't like... seeing a bottle of ice melt so fast and then just being a bottle of water sitting in my cooler so I stopped doing it and I've just used frozen bottles of regular water for the last several years.

You're best option may actually be to use a combination of both bottles with ice water and bottles with regular water. Use the saltwater bottles to cool the cooler rapidly and the regular ice bottles to maintain the temperature of the cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	24
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	142785  
Vanilla and nocturnalenemy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - John R. Wooden

Last edited by derekp1999; 07-21-2020 at 10:13 AM.
derekp1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2020, 10:14 AM   #23 (permalink)

i fit a whole deboned bull in my grizzly 75, not the head of course
bloodbath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodbath View Post
i fit a whole deboned bull in my grizzly 75, not the head of course
THat's a definite 2-man lift.
bloodbath likes this.
LanceS4803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in