> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,683
Threads: 63,215
Welcome to our newest member, Matthewe
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Antlerless Results

Received the email today stating I was UNSUCESSFUL in drawing a cow elk tag and a doe deer tag. What does it take to get a tag now days? I can tell you it takes more than 5 to draw the cow tag on Fishlake.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2020, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
PBH

Tax -- did you look at tag allocation numbers before you entered? With the limited number of tags being handed out, you are correct: it will tag numerous points to draw the Fishlake. It's even worse for Boulder. I looked at these numbers prior to entering my daughter this year. She did not draw a deer tag. She had two antlerless elk points. Looking at the numbers, I decided that hunting the unit that we know and love (Boulder) was out of the question this year, and we would go to a unit closer to home that gave us better odds of drawing a tag.

We will be hunting southwest desert this year.

Unfortunately, this is the new game we have to play if we want to hunt. The new "norm" is to be excited and greatful for ANY tag drawn, including these most coveted antlerless tags we've all taken for granted for so long.

Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Bummer, better luck next year!
tmitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

PBH -- I did look at the odds and they lied. I guess next year might be the ticket? Not going to hold my breath, that's for sure.

I didn't think that a Antlerless permit would almost be the same odds as drawing LE permit.

The SW desert is a good unit for a cow tag depending on the season. Late hunt, you'll contend with them being on the private lands or heading to it. Best of luck to you and your girls.

Last edited by taxidermist; 07-01-2020 at 11:54 AM.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I could be wrong, but I think they updated the number of tags available sometime during the draw. As for myself, i put my application in when they first opened the draw window and looked at the number of tags and the draw odds when i filled my application. Yesterday I checked the info on the unit I put in for, and instead of 20 tags like I think i remember there being, there was 10 instead.

Soo.. yeah, no wonder I didn't draw either. In fact all my choices, I think the number of tags were reduced when I looked yesterday, from when I initially filled my application. I could be mistaken though, but I swear I remember there being more tags listed initially.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't care if I didn't draw, but I still have not received the e-mail stating it. I don't get it? My concern now is making sure the point shows up...….
Old 07-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidermist View Post
PBH -- I did look at the odds and they lied. .
They couldn't have lied because they aren't out yet.

Last years odds aren't this years.
RandomElk16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I got the unsuccessful email pretty early. They didn't waste any time letting me know I'm a failure and out $40 on app fees. At least that's one point closer per tag.
elkunited is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Only tag I drew this year was a cow tag. I haven’t went for a few years and had 4 points banked going into the draw and looking at the tag cuts and applicant numbers of who applied last year, I was pretty certain I wouldn’t draw. Years past it was 2 point guaranteed tag and now it’s doubled that.

Just glad I got it though. I’ll be taking my youngest son and it will help get my mind off the fact my oldest son and 19 year hunting buddy will be leaving Sept 30th on his mission, 3 days before this hunt starts (pending Covid). Plus it will give me a chance to try getting my youngest son more enthused about hunting I hope...
Fowlmouth and hunting777 like this.
utahbigbull is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahbigbull View Post
Only tag I drew this year was a cow tag. I haven’t went for a few years and had 4 points banked going into the draw and looking at the tag cuts and applicant numbers of who applied last year, I was pretty certain I wouldn’t draw. Years past it was 2 point guaranteed tag and now it’s doubled that.
Just glad I got it though. I’ll be taking my youngest son and it will help get my mind off the fact my oldest son and 19 year hunting buddy will be leaving Sept 30th on his mission, 3 days before this hunt starts (pending Covid). Plus it will give me a chance to try getting my youngest son more enthused about hunting I hope...
UBB,
I’m up for adoption the next two years while your boy is out.
I’m really good at bringing my decoys and laying on frozen ground for hours with my mouth shut and eyes open!
utahbigbull likes this.
shaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in