> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 14,000
Threads: 63,567
Welcome to our newest member, clement47
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2020, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Moose - Morgan-South Rich

A good (and insanely lucky!) friend of mine drew a bull moose tag for the Morgan-South Rich unit. It's not a unit he was familiar with before he put in, but the odds were no worse than most other units, so he decided to try his luck and ended up with the golden ticket.

I don't know the area super well. The only place on the unit I was familiar with prior to him drawing was the Henefer-Echo WMA. I've heard of there being moose in there but I've never put eyes on one. My summation is the Monte Cristo area is probably his best bet for finding one with all the water and ponds throughout the area. I've yet to go with him when he's been up there but he says it's heavily wooded and there aren't many good vantage points unless the leaves come off early. As mentioned before, we have been to the Causey area twice and covered a decent amount of ground, but have yet to see anything that way.

I personally have been up with him 3 times since he got the good news, including a backpacking trip into the Causey area to get to know it some. He's been up twice that many times. Collectively, we've seen 1 small bull who was out on private land right after a late snow storm. Besides that, we've yet to see anything else at all. Not even a cow. We're not overly concerned at this point as there's still plenty of time and cooler weather coming before the hunt starts, but I think he'd be a lot more at ease if he'd seen something by now.

We're 100% willing to put in the work and I'd love to see him fill his tag. Really what I'm asking in this thread is for pointers on what to do and what of the above mentioned areas we should focus our efforts on, so as to not waste it on areas that hold few animals.

It's a long hunt and the time we've spent getting to know the unit has been well worth it. We've found plenty of places that look like classic moose habitat. We're just ready to start finding a few more animals to get more excited about. I imagine they'll be easier to find when they start rutting, which also coincides with most of the hunt dates, but the fact we're not finding any cows yet either definitely catches our attention. We did talk to a few locals in Huntsville who mentioned the DWR had taken quite a few out of the Causey area to relocate to other areas, or even other states. Go figure..

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!
johnnycake likes this.
moabxjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not much current info. My son had a tag on an adjacent CWMU in 2018 and ended up taking the only bull he saw.

Seems like the population has taken a real hit in the last few years.

Ask around when you run into other people. If nothing else moose is probably one of the only tags offered where most people will give you info if the see something.

Good luck!
moabxjeeper likes this.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

There are a few spots I have seen some good bulls in the past. PM me if you don't have any luck and I will let you know where they are.
moabxjeeper likes this.
muleydeermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2020, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good luck, sounds like a fun hunt.
moabxjeeper likes this.
tmitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
Not much current info. My son had a tag on an adjacent CWMU in 2018 and ended up taking the only bull he saw.
Which one
RandomElk16 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomElk16 View Post
Which one
PM sent.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well, the hunt starts a week from Saturday. I've been up with my friend who holds the tag 3 different times and he's been up nearly every weekend for the last month or so. Still haven't set eyes on a single moose in the area, though he did talk to some archery hunters who told him about a smaller bull and cow they'd seen a few days prior.

Does anyone have any info they'd be wiling to share? I'd love to see this guy fill his tag, but at this point, I'm afraid he might have to pull the trigger on the first bullwinkle that comes out of the woods.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

The moose hunt only gets better as the season goes on. The leaves start to fall and the moose become more active with cooler temps. He should shoot what makes him happy. Don't wear yourselves out before the best part of the season rolls around. Just my opinion...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------------

e mail: sagebasin AT msn . com
Packout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packout View Post
The moose hunt only gets better as the season goes on. The leaves start to fall and the moose become more active with cooler temps. He should shoot what makes him happy. Don't wear yourselves out before the best part of the season rolls around. Just my opinion...
This. 100%.
johnnycake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packout View Post
That seems to be the general consensus. I appreciate the straightforward reply.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in