> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,671
Threads: 63,200
Welcome to our newest member, garden1h
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2020, 06:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Even in states that ban baiting of big game, it most generally only applies to hunting over the bait. After bait is removed and there is a waiting period, it usually is "legal" to hunt that spot.
Now, don't get me started on "legal" vs "moral/ethical"...
TPrawitt91 likes this.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 09:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Now, don't get me started on "legal" vs "moral/ethical"...

Come on, you can do it!! I dare ya
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Good info, thanks guys. It will be down in the Book Cliffs. And yes, I will not be hunting with it, just something to do on scouting trips and get an idea of what animals are in the area.
Raptorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

One problem with trail cameras and hunting seasons in the Book Cliffs is that unless you have a archery tag the deer that you see on your cameras will likely not be there come this fall for the muzzy and rifle hunts.

Now if you were after bears and elk, then it would be a different story
Old 06-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ok. Something to think about.

Salt is VERY good early in the year and during the growth phase. I've run dozens of cameras looking at whitetail/elk/mulies/mountain lions/and whatever else shows up.

You need to establish a salt lick and that takes salt and usually something else to be found. A good salt lick can take years to establish. I would personally dig a hole around a trophy rock or salt block. Trophy Rock makes salt called 465, which is ground up rocks (think pebble size) and that is very effective. You can dig a hole, pour some out, and then put something like molasses, or something else.

A couple products that critters really like. I was in charge of all of the bait/attractant category at Cabela's for several years so I had lots of opportunity to try stuff to see what worked and what didn't.

A lot of it was hocus pocus. It's just flavored salt/suger with some flavor.

Anilogics makes a great product. Like really great. It has some cool stuff in it that actually helps herd health with some of the suppliments. We had some stuff called "super corn" that was coated in that stuff. It was the real deal. Dear picked that every time. That is made in block form also. They have a powder that you can pour out.

BB2 has multiple versions of their product. There is a block that is based on distillers grain (corn mash after ethanol), molasses, salt, etc. Critters really like that. Like a lot. It doesn't have much nutritional value, but it is very well received by animals. Coons will eat a whole block in a couple days, so be careful about that one.

Rackology is another good product. It's got a lot of cool stuff in it.

Just remember, after the velvet sheds, then the critters will change their behavior completely. They go hard horned and then your salt lick isn't as appealing. You then need to start attracting cows and bulls will stick around.

Happy to answer any questions. I've done a lot of this stuff. I'm not going to go into the moral/ethical stuff because I've seen it from a ton of angles. I've experienced a lot of it and taken a lot of heat from folks about it from both sides. If it's legal and you feel good about it, then do it. If you don't, then don't. If it isn't legal, don't do it. Utah is a bait legal state. You could set up a feeder thre and be completely fine. You can supplement, feed, grow food plots, salt lick, etc.

Get the trail cam set at the right height, get lithium or solar power, use a good SD card, and you'll have a ton of fun.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
One problem with trail cameras and hunting seasons in the Book Cliffs is that unless you have a archery tag the deer that you see on your cameras will likely not be there come this fall for the muzzy and rifle hunts.

Now if you were after bears and elk, then it would be a different story
For sure, like i said it is more for entertainment than anything.
Raptorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2020, 08:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

For deer it's been my experience that they don't frequent salt enough to justify hauling in big blocks or digging a big hole that everyone can see. I spend my time looking for a well hit game trail, then I'll put down half a Buck Lickers block right off the trail. I'm not trying to form a pattern for the deer, or attract them to the same spot everyday, I'm just making them pause long enough so that I can get some good pictures. I haven't had luck making deer go out of their way to hit my salt, but if I put it where they are going anyway, they'll usually stop for a minute or so. The Buck Lickers are cheap and relatively light, especially if you don't use a full brick per camera. Works for me.
T-dubs-42 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2020, 09:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2full View Post
At the risk of being roasted by other opinions....
The trophy rocks work very well. I have pics of cows and bulls laying down and licking them for hours at a time.
The deer will hit them for sure. But, not lay down and spend the time the elk will.

Agree, it’s fun but also annoying to have 500 pics of a rag horn.
TPrawitt91 likes this.
prumpf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

I set my cameras for 10 minute shots normally. That way I don't end up with ton of pics.
If I'm staying at the cabin I'll set for every 5 minutes.
If I know I won't be back for 5 or 6 days I'll set them for 30 minutes.
I get the same deer and elk pretty much all the time. So I don't need volume pics. Once in a while one I haven't seen will wander thru.
I only run 2 cameras most of the time. If I'm spending a day or two, I'll turn on my third one.
2full is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2020, 05:53 AM   #20 (permalink)

One thing that is a constant for attracting wildlife is WATER! If you can locate a good seep or small spring that produces water all summer long away from the "beaten path", you'll have animals visiting it almost everyday.
ridgetop likes this.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in