Members: 13,683
Threads: 63,215
Welcome to our newest member, Matthewe
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By PBH
  • 1 Post By johnrr65
  • 1 Post By PBH

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2020, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Zion Deer

Hello everyone. I just have a quick question. I drew Zion muzzleloader deer for 2020, ive spent a little time hunting the Pine Valley unit next to it. So e question is with scouting season starting is the Zion and Pine Valley unit similar as far as locating where thendeer will be?
Myles162 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
PBH

I'm struggling to understand where you're going with this. Do you mean: will the deer be at similar elevations during the muzzleloader?

these two units are night vs day different in most aspects. public vs. private land. Wilderness areas. Roads. Elevation differences. Migration areas. Pressure. Vegetation. The only real similarities is they share the I-15 corridor boundary.

The muzzy is always a transitioning type hunt. Once those aspen leaves turn gold and start to fall, those deer could be anywhere -- or nowhere!

Will you be hunting private land? Or public?
Bax* likes this.

Nately: ‘Anything worth living for, is worth dying for.’
Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
PBH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBH View Post
I'm struggling to understand where you're going with this. Do you mean: will the deer be at similar elevations during the muzzleloader?

these two units are night vs day different in most aspects. public vs. private land. Wilderness areas. Roads. Elevation differences. Migration areas. Pressure. Vegetation. The only real similarities is they share the I-15 corridor boundary.

The muzzy is always a transitioning type hunt. Once those aspen leaves turn gold and start to fall, those deer could be anywhere -- or nowhere!

Will you be hunting private land? Or public?
+1
RemingtonCountry likes this.
johnrr65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2020, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

As PBH said, unless you have access to some private property it's going to be a much smaller area to hunt. I'd find the public and focus on familiarizing yourself with that. Then depending on weather you'll have an idea where to look once the muzzy hunt starts. Most years they will be from top to mid range but a good snow storm will get them moving south.
neverdrawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ill be hunting Public land. I am heading down there next weekend to start getting familiar with the area. But yea i was more so just asking about if its the same type of terrain as far as elevations and roads. Im hoping to find some areas like PV mountain that do not have a million roads going through. But now the work starts. Thanks for the responses.
Myles162 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
PBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles162 View Post
Im hoping to find some areas like PV mountain that do not have a million roads going through.
Much of the Pine Valley is designated as Wildnerness area - and thus, no roads.
On the Zion unit, you have Zion National Park - but no hunting allowed there. Everything else is either private land or public land with roads. The public get's a lot of pressure - because everything else is private.

Just keep in mind as you scout - you'll be scouting areas that other people will be hunting come fall, whether they've scouted it or not. You should expect company, and changes.

If you have specific areas in mind that you are going to be exploring, I can help with some local knowledge. I don't want you discouraged with this unit - I'd like to give you good info that may help with a successful experience.
one4fishing likes this.

Sacrilegious old man: ‘And anything worth dying for, is certainly worth living for.'
Old 06-23-2020, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Seems like most people I know that hunt this unit focus on the coral pink sand dunes area.
ns450f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
PBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns450f View Post
Seems like most people I know that hunt this unit focus on the coral pink sand dunes area.
It's a great area! But it's also a migration area. Most deer (not all) don't show up down there until later in October - second week of the rifle deer hunt. This would be a difficult area for muzzleloader -- but the rewards could be high for someone willing to put in enough effort. I'd probably focus up a little higher on the mountain (across the Virgin River), but then you again have lots of private to deal with.

(FWIW -- I absolutely LOVE hunting the Sands!)

Old 06-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBH View Post
Quote:
It's a great area! But it's also a migration area. Most deer (not all) don't show up down there until later in October - second week of the rifle deer hunt. This would be a difficult area for muzzleloader -- but the rewards could be high for someone willing to put in enough effort. I'd probably focus up a little higher on the mountain (across the Virgin River), but then you again have lots of private to deal with.

(FWIW -- I absolutely LOVE hunting the Sands!)
I have never hunted the Zion unit at all but I spent some time hiking in the coral pinks area one November and there was so much sign I was blown away.

I am still trying to find that magical place on the pine valley unit. I found an area on the pine valley unit with lots of bucks. I probably saw 20 different bucks on opening morning. The only problem was I saw 2 hunters for each buck and it felt like a war zone. I won't hunt that area again because I didn't feel safe.

My dad is 71 and he has a rifle tag for the pine valley unit this year. I am afraid this is the last year he will be able to do any hiking so I am going to triple down on my effort. I really hope I can find him a nice buck in a low pressure area so the buck won't get spooked by other hunters. The old man has shot a few 4 point bucks but he has never managed to get that trophy.
ns450f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
PBH

Quote:
I have never hunted the Zion unit at all but I spent some time hiking in the coral pinks area one November and there was so much sign I was blown away.
Like I said, that area is a migration area. It just loads up with deer in late October. Our water troughs get hit really hard all winter long - which is great!

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in