> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,671
Threads: 63,200
Welcome to our newest member, garden1h
Like Tree84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2020, 08:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
The road less area is going to draw fewer hunters just because it is road less.

Not very many hunters are going to try and hump out a full grown bison out of those canyons. So unless you have a horse or hire a outfitter with horses it has very limited appeal.
That's not the case for LE elk, Book cliffs road-less and road units have fairly comparable draw odds and muzzy hunt road-less was harder to draw...weird that cow bison went for so low of points, wish I wasn't tied to the sheep anchor although I figure if I ever wanted to kill a big woolly I could pay the res a few grand and drive right up to it! Can't do that with sheep
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2020, 08:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Man they screwed up the Henry’s bison hunts. Good grief!
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
Quote:
The road less area is going to draw fewer hunters just because it is road less.

Not very many hunters are going to try and hump out a full grown bison out of those canyons. So unless you have a horse or hire a outfitter with horses it has very limited appeal.
That's not the case for LE elk, Book cliffs road-less and road units have fairly comparable draw odds and muzzy hunt road-less was harder to draw...weird that cow bison went for so low of points, wish I wasn't tied to the sheep anchor although I figure if I ever wanted to kill a big woolly I could pay the res a few grand and drive right up to it! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://utahwildlife.net/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif[/IMG] Can't do that with sheep
How do you get access to the res?

I saw that too, Vanilla. Kinda upsetting
Ray is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
How do you get access to the res?
Well, ya pay em! Most tribes that have big woolly's sell hunts to the white man, South Dakota has a bunch and the Ute's offer a few as well. I had a buddy who won one on a raffle. It was a rodeo but he had a good time and killed a cow buff. Lot's of roads all over the res.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2020, 09:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have always said that if I wanted a canned hunt like that I would prefer for them to do it at the slaughter house. No meat wasted and a single small hole in the hide.

There was a ranch hunt in Utah somewhere around Hinkley if I remember right. You picked out the bison that you wanted and they loaded it up into a stock trailer. Then they took it out onto the ranch and turned it loose for you to shoot it.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
I have always said that if I wanted a canned hunt like that I would prefer for them to do it at the slaughter house. No meat wasted and a single small hole in the hide.

There was a ranch hunt in Utah somewhere around Hinkley if I remember right. You picked out the bison that you wanted and they loaded it up into a stock trailer. Then they took it out onto the ranch and turned it loose for you to shoot it.
Ha! That’s a miserable “hunt”. Are those res hunts canned hunts? I need to figure something out... at this rate, I’ll die before I draw a tag for one.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'd say that a lot of them are. But there are others that aren't. It's mostly in what you pay for.

Even a lot of ranch hunts are only 3 days, including the day you arrive and the day you leave.

There is one up in South Dakota that for $4200 you get to shoot one and they butcher and quick freeze it for you. But that is for a 3-4 year old meat bull.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
I'd say that a lot of them are. But there are others that aren't. It's mostly in what you pay for.

Even a lot of ranch hunts are only 3 days, including the day you arrive and the day you leave.

There is one up in South Dakota that for $4200 you get to shoot one and they butcher and quick freeze it for you. But that is for a 3-4 year old meat bull.
Eh, I’m not looking for people to do my work for me.. I’ll just start putting in for archery cow, should draw sooner
Old 06-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

Dang point jumpers.......

After the draws last year there was only 5 or 6 guys left ahead of me in points for the hunt I want.
Now looking at this year's odds, I see 3 people with 20 points put in, one each with 19, 18, and 17.
That has killed my chances the last 2 or 3 years.
Oh well.......I guess that's life.

I guess I could put in for archery before I get too old, I have enough points to get that elk hunt in a couple of different good units, maybe even for the Beaver unit. But, would really like to get the muzzle tag.

I drew the archery LE tag in '00 and killed a good bull. I've taken a couple of decent bulls with a rifle as well. Would like a chance to get a good one with the muzzle gun. I have taken a small bull with muzzle loader.

I guess that would make ME a point jumper.
2full is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yeah I thought I was close this year to a muzzle load elk LE permit. Then I saw the bonus point permits went up by 2 points.

Clearly pool jumpers which is fine... But most of those have not stepped foot on the unit and I've been watching for the brand new member seeking advice post. ... What kills me most, is that nobody with my points drew in the "lottery" but those with 3 points was like a 1 in 3.5 odds or something! Man that irritates me! I am the one guy who never draws without max points.

Uggg!
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in