» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,530
Threads: 63,084
Welcome to our newest member, photographer1z
View Poll Results: Which species will you apply for in this year's antlerless draw?
Cow moose 21 38.18%
Ewe bighorn 15 27.27%
Neither 19 34.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2020, 09:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
APD

i'd pay $100. not likely to draw a cow moose anyway. at least you're on the ground floor this year
APD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert Elk View Post
You really think a NR is going to pay $1000 to shoot a BH ewe when they can pay $700 for a cow moose?

Silly DWR...
I owe everybody a correction. Looking in the rules, it appears that nonresidents are allowed to apply for both cow moose and ewe bighorn. Turns out the DWR isn't so silly after all...

https://wildlife.utah.gov/r657-62.html#18

Some stats for those who are interested:

Nevada charges $1,200 for nonresident ewe tags. They got 190 applicants in 2019.

Colorado charges $2,240 for nonresident ewe tags. They got 21 first choice applicants and quite a few more second/third choice applicants in 2020.

Montana charges $1,250 for nonresident ewe tags. I haven't looked for awhile, but last I recall, they didn't have any problem selling them.

Considering all of the above, I think there will be a decent handful of nonresidents who apply for that ewe tag. I'm curious to see just how many.
johnnycake likes this.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #23 (permalink)

I'm really curious to see how this works out. Just over 4000 residents put in for 33 cow moose tags last year. Majority had 5 points or less. I'll be interested to see how many bail out of that and choose the ewe hunt. Any guesses on how many will put in for each? I'm thinking it has to be around 2500 in each, maybe a touch more in the moose pool as people are attached to their points.
I'm kind of a nerd and like to download all the draw statistics. For me, this one will be fun to look at later. That being said, I have no idea what to do for myself, tough choice.
Isuckathunting is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 09:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

I shot my cow moose back in 2008, so I'll let someone else have that chance now. Glad they didn't overprice the ewes for residents. IMO, I would never pay $500, let alone $1,000 for a ewe, but to each their own.

Honestly, I think I'd rather have a friend draw and help them on the hunt. You get the experience, and don't have to pay for the tag. Ewes really aren't that big at all. Great meat, but serious lack thereof!
Old 05-22-2020, 10:02 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuckathunting View Post
I'm really curious to see how this works out. Just over 4000 residents put in for 33 cow moose tags last year. Majority had 5 points or less. I'll be interested to see how many bail out of that and choose the ewe hunt. Any guesses on how many will put in for each? I'm thinking it has to be around 2500 in each, maybe a touch more in the moose pool as people are attached to their points.
I'm kind of a nerd and like to download all the draw statistics. For me, this one will be fun to look at later. That being said, I have no idea what to do for myself, tough choice.
Interesting question. I'll take a stab at it.

From last year's data (residents only):

- 33,202 hunters applied for or bought points for bull moose.
- 6,745 hunters applied for or bought points for cow moose.

So, we have about 20% as much interest in the cows as we do in the bulls. Not sure how much that relates to the question, but something to keep in mind. There's not going to be nearly as much interest in the ewe tags as there is in the ram tags.

Looking at last year's sheep data (residents only):

- 9,764 hunters applied for or bought points for desert sheep
- 8,257 hunters applied for our bought points for rocky mountain sheep

Comparing the total of 18,021 sheep ram applicants to the 33,202 bull moose applicants shows that there's about 54% as much interest in sheep hunting as there is in moose hunting in Utah.

That being the case, I doubt it's an even split between ewe and and cow moose applicants.

I think there will be other factors that keep people in the moose pool, including:

- People who already have a lot of cow moose points
- People who feel more physically up to moose hunting than sheep hunting
- People who are more familiar with moose hunting/habitat than sheep hunting/habitat
- The fact that there have consistently been more cow moose tags offered in the past, and probably will be offered more in the future
- The quality/quantity of moose meat compared to sheep meat
- The remoteness of the Newfoundland sheep unit

All that being said, my projection is as follows:

800 applicants for ewe tags
700 applicants for ewe points
3500 applicants for cow moose tags
2400 applicants for cow moose points

If I remember, I'll bump this thread when the odds are released, and we'll see how I did.

I honestly think the cow moose pool will give better odds in the long run, because there will most likely be a lot more tags offered over the years. I'm just jumping over because my moose points are few enough to be meaningless, I think sheep hunting is way more fun, and I can always jump back to moose during years when there are no sheep tags offered.

Lots of compelling reasons to stick with the moose, though (especially if a lot of people do bail on the points pool).
Old 05-22-2020, 10:12 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarq View Post

Some stats for those who are interested:

Nevada charges $1,200 for nonresident ewe tags. They got 190 applicants in 2019.

Colorado charges $2,240 for nonresident ewe tags. They got 21 first choice applicants and quite a few more second/third choice applicants in 2020.

Montana charges $1,250 for nonresident ewe tags. I haven't looked for awhile, but last I recall, they didn't have any problem selling them.

Considering all of the above, I think there will be a decent handful of nonresidents who apply for that ewe tag. I'm curious to see just how many.
I suppose if it were a feather in your cap sort of thing then it is probably worth it. Ewe tags are supposed to be "easier" to draw and most people that live out west usually put in for their states of residency. Easteners are another story.

Because of that, $1000 for UT is a poor investment for me when I can pay a little over $100 in my home state with the same chances to drae year after year.

We won't discuss what NM charges for a NR ewe tag. Now that's ridiculous
High Desert Elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #27 (permalink)

Is ewe application drawing going to be random or are there people with some points applying for this tags? looks like this is a new hunt in utah.
cedar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #28 (permalink)

Based on the responses I would say first time offered.
cedar likes this.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2020, 12:33 AM   #29 (permalink)

I lied on the poll. I voted for Cow Moose, but there is no such tag. it is antlerless moose. the lie is because I drew antlerless moose last year so i wont be putting on for that for at least 5 years. the antlerless tags are a meat hunt and i prefer eating moose not sheep. I guess I will put in for Ewe, and if I draw I will mentor someone if it is within the rules. Gotta go now, Bear hunt started today and Im itching to get one.
super chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #30 (permalink)

I initially thought this was a no-brainer. Why go for 60 pounds of mutton when you can have 250 pounds of moose meat? However, after reading some other posts, I can see the draw of hunting sheep even if you can't shoot the big ram.

Still, if it were me I'd go for the moose, but I'm not going for either. I'll chase antlerless elk instead.
AF CYN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in