> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 13,826
Threads: 63,330
Welcome to our newest member, JW_04
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcountrygunner View Post
How are we supposed to know your not a spy?
Or maybe he’s an anti and wants to learn where our spots are so he can ruin them...?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

That's it....I'm a real spy, ya all figured it out.. actually its a spy for dnr.. this is how they count the elk numbers on the wasatch for distributing out tags.. based on the coments here, haha
No really i was just hoping to share my scouting experience and the hunt as it goes along and thought some might enjoy it.
( do anti hunters actually go ruin people's areas/ hunts? If so i sure would love to encounter them in the middle of the woods!)
Diyhntr44 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diyhntr44 View Post
That's it....I'm a real spy, ya all figured it out.. actually its a spy for dnr.. this is how they count the elk numbers on the wasatch for distributing out tags.. based on the coments here, haha
No really i was just hoping to share my scouting experience and the hunt as it goes along and thought some might enjoy it.
( do anti hunters actually go ruin people's areas/ hunts? If so i sure would love to encounter them in the middle of the woods!)
Nice man, I’d love to read and follow along on your adventures!

I actually got my first experience of hunter harassment this year while turkey hunting. It was early morning, had a couple toms responding to my hen calls and moving in closer. I was setup right below where I know they roost, couple hundred yards below the ridge.

Out of nowhere, this lady from up on the ridge started screaming every time a gobble would happen or if I did a hen call. This continued for about ten minutes, the turkey had all gone quit so I decided to make my move up to the ridge to give her a piece of my mind. Got to within 100 yards of her and her husband, they saw me coming and jumped into their side by side and took off.

I sat there for about twenty minutes just thinking about the entire thing, then decided to try the hen call again and got a response right away but the turkey wouldn’t come in. Decided to run and gun with my bow and missed my shot.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Congrats!

Congrats on the tag. I'm still waiting. I have 20 UT LE Elk points now and I think I still have a couple years to wait, minimum, for the MZ tag I'm looking for. I missed a few years, not paying attention to deadlines or I would be the max points dude for the unit I would like to draw. I'll keep tryin' unless I'm dyin'......which could happen before I draw. I will be hunting CO this year, hopefully a GMU 27 MZ tag if the draw works out. I could have a point going into the CO draw this year but I was so PO'd when CO required a NR small game hunting license to put in for the draw that I decided not to send them any extra money last year, just to get a point. Sound familiar? So now that's two small game licenses for western states that I won't use plus a CO fishing license I won't use. Those are on top of rising tag prices. It's getting really expensive to hunt as a NR just about everywhere out west. I'll never draw a MI elk tag and I can't spring for one of those auction tags. Enough whining from me. Have a great hunt. The first place in UT I heard about was in the Wasatch unit and that was what got me started putting in for points back in the 90's. Good luck!
Raptorman likes this.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

I drew the LE Archery Tag for this Unit and have a bunch of work to do scouting the area. I've never hunted this unit so I'm not even sure where to start as well.
jmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Utah's hunt planner for the unit and season drawn has lots of valuable information on starting points, elk numbers, etc.
Bax* likes this.
CPAjeff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2020, 09:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Good luck on your hunt. It should be a good time, with them rutting. My little brother drew the late Wasatch tag this year, so we will be out late looking for the leftovers. We have had pretty good success on this unit. I had the late tag 3 years ago and got a 355 on opening morning, my dad had it last year and he got a 325 on opening night. With elk all I can say, is to get high and glass and find them, if you don't see them, move on. It will be awesome to call one in. Best of luck to you. Cheers!!
Pinetree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2020, 01:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks all for the tips, im way stoked...I've already started scouting out roads, drainages to get to. Just hope I'm looking in the right areas. And even caught a couple of great trout on the first trip.. haha
Any tips greatly appreciated.
And hopefully i can return the favor to someone in the future.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

Well got out for a couple days for an early scout, mainly to learn roads. Finally did see a few cows with calfs up high in the current creek area, no big heards or bulls, so any ideas on where the bulls would be at in antler growth this early?
Also thinking of scouting out the south side of strawberry next. Any recommendations?
This is already getting exciting and i haven't even seen a bull yet..haha
Being hopeful i can find good elk areas and possibly set up a trail camera.... any advice on reasonable trail cameras that are good and don't break the bank?
Thanks all
Old 07-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

I wouldn't expect to find big herds this time of year. You'll find cow/calf pairs and small groups scattered around with bulls in bachelor herds of 2-20 +/- some.

Look at mid to high elevations with good water sources and mixed conifers, aspens and oaks.
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in